Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in the kicthen...need plumber and maybe electrician?

• 18-03-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I am renting a house with friends from my uncle, and basically am left to sort anything and everything that goes wrong with the place, he never wants to know really and just foots the bill. Which would be fine if I knew what on earth I was doing but I haven't a clue when stuff goes wrong. I got a call from one of the girls this morning saying that a leak has formed in the kitchen, she thinks from the bathroom and has left a puddle in the kitchen and has managed to fill the kitchen light bulb with water....luckily no one attempted to turn on the light!

Anyway, I know we will need a plumber and am wondering if anyone can recommend one in the South Dublin, Dundrum area?

Also presumably will need an electrician to look at the light bulb in the kitchen then but I have a friend who is one and will hopefully check this out for me.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You need the plumber first. A sparks isnt going to be working with a light with water still flowing thru it :pac:

You can switch off the power to the light at the consumer board - trip switches.

You could also turn off the water, but its not easy to explain without knowing more about where its coming from?

First guess would be from the shower tray....? Were they showering this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gemi

Ah yeah, I wasn't going to be letting him anywhere near the bulb without having the water fixed first!

Yes, there were a couple of showers going this morning, so it could be that alright. Also the sink in the bathroom was leaking a few weeks ago but that was fixed, and I asked her to check it again today but she said it was fine. I can't tell what's going on really as I am not at home, so I have her trying to locate the leak a bit better if she can at all.

I'll get her to trip the switch as well so at least that's one less worry for the moment! Thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Has it stopping dripping into the kitchen since?

If the WHB was leaking before, thats where i would start. Check trap and feed connections for dampness.

If its still leaking, you should get here to try turn off the hot and cold feeds in the hotpress. Most likely gate valves with red head round handles.

No it's still leaking in the kitchen. She said she mopped it up a bit but was still dripping.

I will get her to do that so in the hot press and check for dampness around the sink. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You might not need anything. It might be that water is getting out through the screen of the bathroom down onto the floor behind the bath panel and down.

It will need a little investigation

However if these are jobs your not confident on investigating then yes get a plumber.

• Advertisement

Well, I found out when I got home that it is indeed the sink in the bathroom causing the problem again. Have someone coming to look at it today and hopefully sort it out once and for all.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement