Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

METEOR - Poor Upgrade Service

• 18-03-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Just wondered if it is just me or are Meteor particularly slow to offer phone upgrades ?

I wanted to upgrade to a N97 but the upgrade price is more than if I bought it new as a new customer, which I thought was a bit mean of them ?

Anyone have a similar experience ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Bugnut wrote: »
    Just wondered if it is just me or are Meteor particularly slow to offer phone upgrades ?

I wanted to upgrade to a N97 but the upgrade price is more than if I bought it new as a new customer, which I thought was a bit mean of them ?

Anyone have a similar experience ?

I had murder last year trying to upgrade. Phone broke about 2 weeks before the anniversary of the contract (1 year), and I went into the store to try get an upgrade. The phone had been dropped so obviously a warranty repair was out of the question.

I was informed that under no circumstances could I upgrade early, even 2 weeks early. Then they told me during the year they had changed the T's&C's and now customers can't get an upgrade until the 14 Month Mark. So que kicking up murder, and I got a loan phone for the 2 weeks, and then I had to pay all outstanding amounts, even amounts that I hadn't received a bill for to actually upgrade. And then, the phone was €20 more expensive for existing upgrading customers, than compared to a new customer on the same tariff.

On another note, they've been stuffing me around lately regarding switching to a cheaper tariff, as I couldn't afford the current payments as I'm now unemployed. I wanted to switch to bill pay lite, and first of all they wanted every single cent outstanding to be paid off, which I did (painfully). I phoned to change, and they did that no problem, and said that from my next billing date I'll notice the change. At no time did they tell me that there had to be no outstanding balance on the actual day of the tariff switching. So when the billing date came around, another bill had become due, and the tariff was never switched.

So now the bill is continuing to build up, as there is no way that I can clear it all off at once to enable the switch, and they don't want to know, nor do they seem to care. They don't want to honour the switch, and they don't want to take my circumstances into account. It seems like since they were taken over by Eircom, they've copied and pasted Eircoms customer care and attitude. I sent a final email to them 3 days ago, and if there's no response I'm going elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Mobiles & PDAs

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've been very unimpressed with Meteor in general since I switched over from O2.

Yeah, they're marginally cheaper than O2, for some things, but the level of customer service and technical support in particular is abysmal in comparison.

I switched over mostly because I wanted to get the HTC Hero and I wasn't overly keen on signing another 18 month iPhone contract to replace my iPhone 3G on O2.

My problems with Meteor started almost immediately after I walked out of the shop.

The meteor data network wouldn't allow traffic to go through to Google Sync, Twitter, and various other services and Meteor took months to come up with a solution, and it's still not a very good one some traffic still doesn't get through e.g. for twitter clients other than Twitdroid.

Then, the more serious issue. If I enable 3G on the handset, the phone drops off the network at random and requires a reboot or to be switched in and out of airplane mode to reconnect.

The result is that I have been completely unable to use 3G and I'm stuck with a very high end smart phone that I can't really use to its full potential.

I live in Cork City and I am in full 3G coverage all the time, yet I can't use it!

I have complained to Meteor by phone, in store, on their website and in writing and so far I have had nothing but brush-off excuses.

The store did replace the handset and the SIM, but it didn't resolve the issue.

They just keep saying "we're working on it" on their forums and they keep telling me that this is an isolated problem that is only involving a few customers, yet a 3rd handset is apparently not a solution...

This is going on for months and months. I got a call back from some senior person in customer care two weeks after sending them a formal letter of complaint and while they were very friendly, they offered me no solution and no compensation.

I'm going to wait until the Android 2.1 update for the HTC Hero and if that doesn't resolve the problem, I will be look at canceling my contract and switching network.

From my experience of their network and customer support team, I could only conclude that they are happy to be a cheapo pre-pay player offering low end handsets and really bit off more than they can chew with a smart phone launch.

Advertisement