Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Bought My First Ever Graphics Card

Options
  • 18-03-2010 2:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I'm not a serious gamer but I got a 23" screen for Christmas so I figured it was time to upgrade my entry level Ati HD 2400 Pro which came with my PC.
    Sad as that card was I could still play all recent PC games at low settings.

Anyway my Dell Inspiron Desktop only had a 300W PSU so that limited my choices straight away.
    With advice gained through this forum amongst others I settled on the 4670 ultimate edition:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd_4670_ultimate/2.htm

Seemed to give the greatest bang for the buck & this passive cooling malarkey was sold on me.
    So €65 later through pixmania I was in business.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2497312/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-4670-ultimate-e.html

It arrived Tuesday evening & I sat down to Resident Evil 5 not knowing what to expect.
    I set all the settings to high & went 4x AA with 1400x1050 resoloution.
    I also ran the game in Direct 10x for the first time.

Sweet Jesus the results were staggering, shadows, smoke, water ..... like real.
    I have been converted to your ways good graphics people.
    Continue to spread the word.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

And you are running that game on a fairly slow setup with entry level gaming graphics card (still a great little card though)..

Wait till you get a Quad core, coupled with something like a ATI 5850.. you'll really be blown away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Jonny7 wrote: »
    And you are running that game on a fairly slow setup with entry level gaming graphics card (still a great little card though)..

Wait till you get a Quad core, coupled with something like a ATI 5850.. you'll really be blown away

I don't want to rush it, I'll build up to that in a few years.
    Why do you insult my lovely new card calling it "entry level".
    I'll have you know it's a mid-range card & that's the end of it.
    I typed this quitely in case it heard you :D:D:D.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I don't want to rush it, I'll build up to that in a few years.
    Why do you insult my lovely new card calling it "entry level".
    I'll have you know it's a mid-range card & that's the end of it.
    I typed this quitely in case it heard you :D:D:D.

Dont listen to johnny :P

the 4670 is a great card and will handle nearly anything you throw at it at a decent resolution. once you're in on the pc hardware, its hard to look back :pac:

glad you're enjoying it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that's it you are now one of us
    you will be comparing your card against other cards
    reading all the latest articles about the newest cards
    then comes the card envy when you see people on here talking about their latest purchase and trying to justify why you NEED a new card when your current one is perfectly fine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Skerries wrote: »
    that's it you are now one of us
    you will be comparing your card against other cards
    reading all the latest articles about the newest cards
    then comes the card envy when you see people on here talking about their latest purchase and trying to justify why you NEED a new card when your current one is perfectly fine

Next thing you know you have a 3 X 2 grid of HD monitors on your wall. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Bezel-less ones no doubt! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

Glad to hear it's serving you well ;) Nothing like doing your own first big piece of upgrading to make you feel that bit better about it.

Advertisement