Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Tokens and email alerts

Options
  • 18-03-2010 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭

Been getting this message quite a lot as of late. When I go to submit a post, vote in a poll or send a PM I'll get a page saying "your request could not be processed because a security token is missing" and it tells me to contact Admin. If I press back on my browser and try post again it works.

Also in the last 2 weeks my email alerts to threads I'm subscribed to have been very slow coming through or don't come through at all. Today they're not working at all and I haven't received any for the threads I'm subscribed to. (Since the updates carried out this morning?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bonito wrote: »
    "your request could not be processed because a security token is missing"

I'm getting this when I mark forums read (boards.ie / Forum Utilities / Mark Forums Read)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,173 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

iv been getting this for the last 2 months now, cleared my cache but no difference

really pissing me off

edit I forgot to mention i get this on other sites like avforums, so I reckon its something to do with firefox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Doubt it's firefox. I still get it on IE 8, Safari and Chrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Headshot wrote: »
    iv been getting this for the last 2 months now, cleared my cache but no difference

really pissing me off

edit I forgot to mention i get this on other sites like avforums, so I reckon its something to do with firefox

If you're using the same machine and browser consistently (even if you've tried the normal "uninstall" of Firefox, then you might try a total removal.

This is a bit of a nuclear option, but if nothing else is working it'll almost certainly do the trick as a last resort. This will remove bookmarks, saved passwords, history, the lot, so be warned :)
    There's a lot of extra information that isn't removed on a "normal" uninstall, some of which may be causing the problem - you can clear this data by following the instructions on this page.
    Mr E wrote: »
    I'm getting this when I mark forums read (boards.ie / Forum Utilities / Mark Forums Read)
    This is as a result of a new security measure in vBulletin - in the boards.ie "beta" menu it was possible to update for this fix, but can't do the same for the old regular menu. I think we'll just have to drop that option from it.

The "Mark Forums Read" option is available in the forum navigation bar under "Quick Links" (next to the Log out and Search options) in all skins.

Been getting this message quite a lot as of late. When I go to submit a post, vote in a poll or send a PM I'll get a page saying "your request could not be processed because a security token is missing" and it tells me to contact Admin. If I press back on my browser and try post again it works.

Also in the last 2 weeks my email alerts to threads I'm subscribed to have been very slow coming through or don't come through at all. Today they're not working at all and I haven't received any for the threads I'm subscribed to. (Since the updates carried out this morning?)
    If you can post screenshots or give the URL you're at when you receive the message it might be helpful. Does it happen every single time?

Not sure about the mails, haven't had any other reports of missing alerts so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Ive seen this on other forums related to the thank you hack which is installed here. may or may not be that. Its not related to an individual browser anyway

• Advertisement

Ross wrote: »
    If you're using the same machine and browser consistently (even if you've tried the normal "uninstall" of Firefox, then you might try a total removal.

This is a bit of a nuclear option, but if nothing else is working it'll almost certainly do the trick as a last resort. This will remove bookmarks, saved passwords, history, the lot, so be warned :)
    There's a lot of extra information that isn't removed on a "normal" uninstall, some of which may be causing the problem - you can clear this data by following the instructions on this page.

This is as a result of a new security measure in vBulletin - in the boards.ie "beta" menu it was possible to update for this fix, but can't do the same for the old regular menu. I think we'll just have to drop that option from it.

The "Mark Forums Read" option is available in the forum navigation bar under "Quick Links" (next to the Log out and Search options) in all skins.

If you can post screenshots or give the URL you're at when you receive the message it might be helpful. Does it happen every single time?

Not sure about the mails, haven't had any other reports of missing alerts so far.
    I'll make sure to get URL's when it happens again. Doesn't happen everytime but it does happen quite a lot and it's a bit frustrating as it's becoming more frequent.

Still haven't received any alert mails yet =/

last one I got was at 7 this morning I think.

Email alerts working again. Although they're all coming through at once. I sense a freeze and a crash in a minute :pac:

Here's one of the URL's

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=insertpm&pmid=5046986

And the screen said the following
    boards wrote:
    Boards.ie Message

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

By the way, it looks like Hotmail were having problems today - refusing a lot of mail, but are reportedly working through the backlog now.

http://www.26.co.uk/blog/2010/03/hotmailmsnlive-delivery-problems/

http://www.verygoodemail.com/news/hotmail-problems/

http://www2.inter7.com/robomail/hotmail/

I seen that but mine wasnt down. I could still receive emails. Just wasn't receiving any alerts from boards but they're all coming in now at once. Maybe just took a while after the update this morning?

• Advertisement

It was affecting various ISPs around the globe attempting to send to Hotmail, but not all.

Nothing to do with the update - it was a fairly minor one and didn't touch the mail system.

Ah but my email alerts have been dodgy for the last 2-3 weeks. Either not coming through at all or coming through late. =/

Another message.

URL - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=2055858212

And then the normal message.
    boards wrote:
    Boards.ie Message

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Ah but my email alerts have been dodgy for the last 2-3 weeks. Either not coming through at all or coming through late. =/
    Hotmail has never really played ball with our mail, either junking it or greylisting - I guess we're just going to have to talk to them at some point and see what we can do about it.

We also fixed a bunch of adverts.ie mail problems a week or so back, so the mail throughput has probably increased significantly.

Out of interest - do you get the security token error in quick replies or is it just on the fully featured reply page?

Ross wrote: »
    Out of interest - do you get the security token error in quick replies or is it just on the fully featured reply page?
    Quick Reply. Advance Reply. Quick Reply to PM's. Advanced reply to PM's. Forwarding PM's. Voting on polls. Any manner of submitting a post or something I've gotten the msg at one point or another over the last week and a half.

Quick Reply. Advance Reply. Quick Reply to PM's. Advanced reply to PM's. Forwarding PM's. Voting on polls. Any manner of submitting a post or something .

like wise

Just to update. I'm getting the security token msg on every single reply/pm/post i submit now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement