Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for basic first phone for teenager

• 18-03-2010 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a basic first phone for a 13-year old. As cheap as possible, pay as you go. He will be making little or no calls - well that's the plan - just need to be able to contact him regarding the usual stuff like collection from school etc. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Vodafone PAYG Start from as little as €19.99

Meteor start from €49.99

o2 Start from €39

Three start from €39

Probably best to get him on the same network as you are to avail of free texts and free call options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This isnt a bad option: http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-30-053610&pages=2&prod=053610&brands=NOKIA

Its sim free, so not locked to any network, so if he wants to switch from meteor to vodafone or visa versa down the line, their wont be a problem. Its also pretty reasonable price. Their is cheaper, but this has a flashlight and a few bits thats a teenager might be into. Plus looks a bit better than the rest in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

eman66 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a basic first phone for a 13-year old. As cheap as possible, pay as you go. He will be making little or no calls - well that's the plan - just need to be able to contact him regarding the usual stuff like collection from school etc. Any ideas?

Plenty of choice out there 02 <online> have a sony ericsson w205 for 39.99

Have a look in tesco they usually have good basic cheap phones as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Some schools won't allow camera phones to be brought to school, so keep that in mind,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

whiterebel wrote: »
    Some schools won't allow camera phones to be brought to school, so keep that in mind,
    That rule is in nearly every secondary school. It's never ever enforced though so I wouldn't let that get in their way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That rule is in nearly every secondary school. It's never ever enforced though so I wouldn't let that get in their way.

Absolutely is in my son's school. If they even bring it in to school, switched on or not, it was be confiscated.

Advertisement