Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Jointing Compound?

• 18-03-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

I thought it would be interesting for people views on various jointing compounds..

I do the odd bit of plumbing around the house and yard. Mainly fixing leaks and putting in taps etc.

So I generally only use boss white or ptfe tape.

It's fine for my applications but i'd like to learn the right and wrong way with compounds!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Uniwhite is good, atleast if the tub falls over, it doesn't spill everywhere like bosswhite. I'd say they are all fairly the same otherwise, although If you compress your fittings right, you hardly even need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Yeah I remember using that alright when helping out a plumber friend

So far I have seen

Jetlube V2 Plus
    Water Hawk
    Hawk White
    Boss White
    Boss Green
    Loctite 55

Loctite 55 looks very good. Anybody ever use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I use Uniwhite all the time for the main reason is that it never hardens. So if you have to loosen fittings for any reason, it's easier. I think I've used that Loctite stuff before. Is that the stuff that goes hard like super glue and you nearly need and 18" stilson to open a 1/2" fitting?

JohnnieK wrote: »
    I use Uniwhite all the time for the main reason is that it never hardens. So if you have to loosen fittings for any reason, it's easier. I think I've used that Loctite stuff before. Is that the stuff that goes hard like super glue and you nearly need and 18" stilson to open a 1/2" fitting?

Think i'll invest in some uniwhite so..

Would that sort out a problematic out side tap (3/4")? It gets a bit of abuse and turns in the backplate...

Or will get a bit of locktite for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

kodak wrote: »
    Think i'll invest in some uniwhite so..

Would that sort out a problematic out side tap (3/4")? It gets a bit of abuse and turns in the backplate...

Or will get a bit of locktite for it?

Spend a € and get a roll of PTFE tap. turn of water, unscrew tap from backplate, dress correctly with PTFE tap and rescrew. It will be tight and hold water.

• Advertisement

Spend a € and get a roll of PTFE tap. turn of water, unscrew tap from backplate, dress correctly with PTFE tap and rescrew. It will be tight and hold water.

I've tried that many times now and it just doesn't wanna stay put! Tried that one wrap ptfe, normal ptfe and even ptfe with seal and fix silicone!

I think it's mainly the lads using the tap, pulling 3/4" piping and putting pressure on it.

It's not leaking but it's just off plumb and annoys me..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Put some flax on it with uniwhite and it wont go anywhere. Score the thread of the tap first to make sure the flax catches and then uniwhite.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Put some flax on it with uniwhite and it wont go anywhere. Score the thread of the tap first to make sure the flax catches and then uniwhite.

Will do, cheers everyone!

Advertisement