Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Lille [Match Thread]

• 18-03-2010 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Liverpool v Lille 20:05
    (agg 0-1)

Well Liverpool continue on their adventures in Europe tonight
    (unlike some small clubs like Real Madrid and Chelsea:p)

Aquilani doutful with a virus - apparently been puking - so I doubt he will start. Shame as prior to this I would have thought he was likely to start tonight and Lucas would start on Sunday. Also Maxi is cup-tied so I think Kuyt is likely to be back in the side. As such I think the only decision is whether Babel or Benayoun start. I think Babel might just get the nod.

Big question is whether it will be a repeat of the Pompey game or a repeat of the last Lille game. Really wish it wasn't Utd at the weekend as I think the way the fixtures are falling don't suit us.

Doubt Pacheco or Spearing will make the bench as they both played for the reserves yesterday. Kelly wasn't involved with the reserves so I reckon he'll be on the bench.

Reina
    --Johnson--Carra--Agger--Insua--
    Lucas---Masch

Kuyt----Gerrard----Babel

Torres

Subs: Cavailieri, Kelly, Kyrgiakos, Benayoun, Dave, Aquilani, Riera
    TEAM NEWS
    Liverpool midfielder Alberto Aquilani is a doubt as he has been laid low with a virus.

The Italy international missed training on Wednesday because of sickness and will be assessed ahead of the game.

Fellow midfielder Maxi Rodriguez is ineligible for European competition and Martin Skrtel (foot) and Fabio Aurelio (thigh) are also missing.

Lille are without defensive duo Nicolas Plestan and Mathieu Debuchy, as well as forwards Tulio de Melo and Gervinho.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez says his side are well aware of the importance of the game.

"They know it's the last opportunity to win a trophy," he said. "The main thing is to score and after that a clean sheet. We will try to look for both things.

"The first way is to win this game and progress in this competition."

Benitez saw some of the pressure on his side eased with a 4-1 win over Portsmouth on Monday and he is hoping to take that sort of form into the closing stages of a disappointing campaign.

"You have to move forward and try to do your best until the end of the season," he added. "That is the message - we are trying to do this every week.

"And hopefully after the four goals on Monday we could do this in the Europa League and, afterwards, in the league."

Lille coach Rudi Garcia insists his side, who lead courtesy of Eden Hazard's late free-kick in the first leg, will not be overawed by the Anfield atmosphere.

"There is no need to motivate the players for a game like this. The motivation has to be to get as far as we possibly can," said Garcia.

"It will be the same kind of mindset. We will need to score, not only defend and play for 0-0.

"We have more chance to qualify if we score. The main thing is, no matter what the atmosphere is like, it is about the 11 players out there.

"We know we are playing against a legendary side in a very atmospheric - almost mythical - stadium of legends but we have experienced this against Fenerbahce away from home.

"It doesn't really matter what Liverpool think - it is what is in our mind that counts."

Liverpool (from): Reina, Johnson, Agger, Carragher, Krygiakos, Insua, Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas, Aquilani, Riera, Ngog, Kuyt, Torres, Benayoun, Cavalieri, Pacheco, Spearing, Babel, Kelly, Degen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8573278.stm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis weird how these games just sneak up on us. Do I care anymore? Enough to sit in front of this tonight. :)

No Maxi, no Aquliani, no Riera ('nuff said!) but some regaining of spirit after the Pompey. Now if they can just remember how they played that game we might have a decent showing tonight.

That starting 11 looks right, but the bench could be rather different I suspect (El Zhar for example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2010/03/18/1838276/europa-league-special-how-history-shows-liverpool-can

Emm, sorta hard to call, especially with Liverpool these days. They are obviously capable of winning. Les Dogues have been decent again this season so may pounce if the pool don't turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This is Aquilanis third virus since he came to Liverpool isnt it ? Very strange...

Its unfortunate that we will see Kuyt back in in the starting lineup. Would much prefer Yossi and Babel as the wide players.

With that in mind, Id like to see the following:

----Gerrard----Masch

Kuyt
    Yossi
    Babel

but its pretty obvious we will see Lucas and Masch in the middle with Kuyt, Gerrard and probably Yossi on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Id expect the Pool to go through at Anfield but if Lille can frustrate ye for about half an hour it could be an interesting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »
    No Maxi, no Aquliani, no Riera ('nuff said!) but some regaining of spirit after the Pompey. Now if they can just remember how they played that game we might have a decent showing tonight.

That starting 11 looks right, but the bench could be rather different I suspect (El Zhar for example)

Yeah El Zhar should probably be in there ahead of Riera ;) - after that if Aquilani is out it's hard to figure who else might be there. Albert could well be in there if Aquilani doesn't make it. A bit pissed about Pacheco not having much of a shout to feature (especially if Aquilani is completely out) but I suppose it's just a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Tusky wrote: »
    This is Aquilanis third virus since he came to Liverpool isnt it ? Very strange...

Its unfortunate that we will see Kuyt back in in the starting lineup. Would much prefer Yossi and Babel as the wide players.

With that in mind, Id like to see the following:

----Gerrard----Masch

Kuyt
    Yossi
    Babel

but its pretty obvious we will see Lucas and Masch in the middle with Kuyt, Gerrard and probably Yossi on the left.

So good you felt it needed to be posted twice:D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

could the virus just be a ruse to keep him fresh for Sunday when he will be unleashed at Old Trafford? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Mr Alan wrote: »
    could the virus just be a ruse to keep him fresh for Sunday when he will be unleashed at Old Trafford? ;)

He'll probably be injured(again) for that one!? I think Rafa is regretting buying the Aqua man??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Riera start this one. Rafa's funny like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I think Lille will win tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Handy liverpool win, but does anyone really give a flying f*ck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I hope we stick with a similar lineup to the one which beat Pompey. We should have some confidence coming out of that result even though Pompey are thoroughly ****e, but it could prove to be fragile confidence if we don't score in the first twenty minutes or so.

Would love to see Pacheco get a start in place of Aquliani, but I hear Pacheco played 90 mins for the reserves last night. So in that case Yossi behind Torres. Kuyt and Babel on the wings. Gerrard with Masch in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wonder will he give Babel 2 starts in a row? Wouldn't mind Benny instead, its good to have options on the left, even if Albert isn't a happy bunny.

I think 2-0 to Liverpool, but I might see what odds 2-1 are, with Lille to go through on Away goals.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

There is zero reason to change things unless forced. So benny in for Maxi and Lucas for aquilani if injured. No other changes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the last time gerrard played in the 2 in midfield he was beyond awful.
    yossi should definately start, as should babel... but this wont happen, it will be kuyt :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anything will do apart from extra time, cant say im too bothered if we go out or not tonight. I just want a good performance and the match to be over after 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Didnt Rafa say after monday night's win he's finally found his best formation/starting XI? So barring Maxi and Aqualani there shouldnt be too many other changes!? You never know with that man do you...

Gillington wrote: »
    Didnt Rafa say after monday night's win he's finally found his best formation/starting XI? So barring Maxi and Aqualani there shouldnt be too many other changes!? You never know with that man do you...

Next thing he'll give up on zonal marking!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Ush1 wrote: »
    Next thing he'll give up on zonal marking!:pac:

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Is this on the box tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Sure is on E3 at 7.30 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Think FIVE are showing it too.

Opr

Setanta are showing Sporting vs Atletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Gillington wrote: »

Did he really say that after the Portsmouth win? he's a funny guy is Rafa.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The Muppet wrote: »
    Did he really say that after the Portsmouth win? he's a funny guy is Rafa.

I'd be surprised if he did. He may have made a comment around finally having a near fully fit squad and it giving him more options, but I can't imagine Rafa said that he has finally found his preferred formation and lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if he did. He may have made a comment around finally having a near fully fit squad and it giving him more options, but I can't imagine Rafa said that he has finally found his preferred formation and lineup.

You're probably right, it would be a sign of weakness to admit he didn't know his stongest team until eight months into the season. Not even Rafa would make such an elementary error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This match proves that Liverpool are in a different league to Man U.

The Europa League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

This match proves that Liverpool are in a different league to Man U.

The Europa League

The poverty of this attempt at slagging deserves an infraction surely ;)

• Advertisement

All I ask for Rafa is to not play two defensive midfielders.

We don't need them unless we play a top team which I don't believe Lille are.

No, just indifference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Lille will not sit back tonight, they'll be looking for an away or 2 to completely finish the tie off. My prediction?

They'll get one, and Liverpool will come back, score 2, then get a 90+ minute winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Wouldn't be surprised to see this go into extra time and penalties. Wouldn't be disappointed to see that either :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Another comfortable win would do me now. 3 or 4 goals. Babel with a brace :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think Lille will score.

for me, it's all a case of how many we can score. and i'm going to stick my neck out on 3.

so 3-1 for me.

Lucas with a hat-trick. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

1-0 Liverpool win in 90mins please.

RasTa wrote: »
    1-0 Liverpool win in 90mins please.

go away you.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Any word on the lineup?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Reina; Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Insua; Mascherano, Lucas, Gerrard, Babel; Kuyt, Torres.

Bench: Cavalieri, Benayoun, Kyrgiakos, Ngog, Degen, El-Zhar, Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Should be a good game.... I hope. 1-1 I think though.

• Advertisement

How slow is the offy? I hate club sites.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

mike65 wrote: »
    How slow is the offy? I hate club sites.

It's an horrendous site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

El Zhar on the bench. Didn't think he was fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Is Babel finally established?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooo! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

he's this year's Yossi

how does Gary Kelly have a job in punditry?

:(

Is there a need for Lucas and Mash tonight?

Two defensive midfielders? We are playing Lille, not barca.

Benni should be starting instead and go at them from the off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

SlickRic wrote: »
    how does Gary Kelly have a job in punditry?

Kelly is bad but that other chap is actually incapable of stringing a sentence together.

Kelly is bad but that other chap is actually incapable of stringing a sentence together.

i did think that after i posted.

couldn't have been bothered editing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement