Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree leaking water

Options
  • 18-03-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi,
    A tree across the road from my gaff is leaking water from a stump where it looks like a branch has been sawn off. There is a permanent puddle on the footpath around it. Any idea what could be causing this? Would the tree die if it wasn't treated? Thanks. :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

the tree is awakening from a period of dormancy in the winter, and what you are seeing leaking out is the 'sap', that is rising from the root system up through the tree, anywhere there is a fresh cut or wound will allow the sap to flow out...

hard to tell how bad it is for the health of the tree without seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

Cool. Cheers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of tree is it? a birch, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

I have no idea, I'm afraid. I'm not a tree expert at all. :-)

Advertisement