Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flexirent

Options
  • 18-03-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

*** DON'T BOTHER REPLYING IF YOU'RE TOO THICK TO READ THE POST ***

Well those boys in Harvey's really know how to roll.

I'm in the 20th month of a 24month contract. All good so far, except now that the machine is broken (smashed to bits during house move) i've been informed that the 'accidental damage cover' clause that will 'most likely' be applied will be this...

"Pay us another €130 and you will be released from the contract!"

So if you buy something on Flexirent, lets say over 12 months, in the 10th month your damage cover is void, and your only likely option will be to buy your way out of paying the whole thing..

Whether it's in the contract or not, i'm off to the solicitor... It's called false advertising. They can't actually consider the option to buy your way out as ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE COVER in any conventional sense... that is BS. Especially since I admittedly picked a really dumb option, that ended up costing me almost half the price of the laptop again in interest!

The more irritating thing is i've already paid them €3,000 between this and another contract.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

[QUOTE=noodledog;64964027
    What can you expect from a company which knowingly commits fraud against even it's own finance partners?QUOTE]

example please

• Registered Users Posts: 20 noodledog

I'll edit that out actually, i'm not out to slander.

I just know a LOT of their employees and witnessed some dodgy **** instore myself.

Besides all that gossip, not going to comment on the rest of the message?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What do you expect to be the case when you break the item, would you expect them to fix it if you had bought it in cash instead?

Nody wrote: »
    What do you expect to be the case when you break the item, would you expect them to fix it if you had bought it in cash instead?

If they told me that i'm completely covered against accidental damage with a 'repair or replace' policy, then yes I would. The issue isn't the cover, I have cover, but it's not the kind of cover I was informed I would have when I bought the item.

It's a total cop out.

READ OP before acting the smartass!

In response to my earlier statement: I know that on at least 1 occasion they have photoshopped out of date finance documents to bring them into date. I was standing right beside them instore when they were talking about it. DOH! As far as I know that particular manager doesn't work there any more, but the fact that he thought this was ok speaks volumes about the company's attitude in this country, which i've always found to be terrible. Their corporate mantra is to BLEED IRELAND DRY then leave... So i'm quite glad that they're struggling left, right and centre. The way they keep their staff under fear for their jobs and cut commissions in half when people fall slightly short of ridiculous targets. A staff member could be maybe one warranty away from their targets for the month, and they will loose 50% of their commission. Over what might only be realistically a €30 sale. Nearly as bad as the phone stores, who constantly claimed new customer contracts weren't submitted before the last day of the month when they actually were, so they never had to pay full commission. I've got stories about most of these asshole companies, as I'm sure many of you have..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It's called false advertising.
    What was falsely advertised?
    it's not the kind of cover I was informed I would have when I bought the item.
    What cover were you informed you would have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

noodledog wrote: »
    If they told me that i'm completely covered against accidental damage with a 'repair or replace' policy, then yes I would. The issue isn't the cover, I have cover, but it's not the kind of cover I was informed I would have when I bought the item.

It's a total cop out.

READ OP before acting the smartass!

In response to my earlier statement: I know that on at least 1 occasion they have photoshopped out of date finance documents to bring them into date. I was standing right beside them instore when they were talking about it. DOH! As far as I know that particular manager doesn't work there any more, but the fact that he thought this was ok speaks volumes about the company's attitude in this country, which i've always found to be terrible. Their corporate mantra is to BLEED IRELAND DRY then leave... So i'm quite glad that they're struggling left, right and centre. The way they keep their staff under fear for their jobs and cut commissions in half when people fall slightly short of ridiculous targets. A staff member could be maybe one warranty away from their targets for the month, and they will loose 50% of their commission. Over what might only be realistically a €30 sale. Nearly as bad as the phone stores, who constantly claimed new customer contracts weren't submitted before the last day of the month when they actually were, so they never had to pay full commission. I've got stories about most of these asshole companies, as I'm sure many of you have..

If you knew that they were that bad, why did you buy from them in the first place?

As for the "Bleeding Dry" bit, I think Ireland's quite safe, but HN could probably do with a transfusion at this stage.

It's not only advertised, but implied by and sold as by sales staff, that if you damage your computer during the course of the contract, it will be repaired or replaced.

But they won't repair or replace it, which makes both the advertising and the sales pitch false.

READ OP DAMMIT.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If you knew that they were that bad, why did you buy from them in the first place?

Another irrelevant post! I love it!

It doesn't matter WHY I decided to buy from them. Maybe it happened BEFORE I knew what I know now? Maybe I was in an altered state at the time! Why would you like to know? Go on, explain why you asked that question? I would love to know?!

Is there anyone on the consumer boards who doesn't just love the sound of their own voice? Jesus. It's bad enough that I have to deal with the reality of my own stupidity regarding the decision of buying from HN, and that I have to deal with all their deceitful advertising & sales strategy!

This is just stupid. READ OP. STILL WAITING ON 1 GENUINE REPLY!

Yis are absoloute trolls with nothing worthwhile to actually say...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

noodledog wrote: »
    Another irrelevant post! I love it!

It doesn't matter WHY I decided to buy from them. Maybe it happened BEFORE I knew what I know now? Maybe I was in an altered state at the time! Why would you like to know? Go on, explain why you asked that question? I would love to know?!

Is there anyone on the consumer boards who doesn't just love the sound of their own voice? Jesus. It's bad enough that I have to deal with the reality of my own stupidity regarding the decision of buying from HN, and that I have to deal with all their deceitful advertising & sales strategy!

This is just stupid. READ OP. STILL WAITING ON 1 GENUINE REPLY!

Yis are absoloute trolls with nothing worthwhile to actually say...

Free advice doesn't come cheap.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

not knowing the full details, but tending to agree with the OP on the quality of response usually found here i would just like to add my 2c.

since noodledog hasnt specifically asked for advice anyway :)

are you sure this isnt the excess kicking in?
    im thinking (same as a car) that if its cheaper to write it off, they will.
    so with 2 months left on the policy you probably have 100 left to pay + a balloon payment?
    the 130 is presumably the excess?

the balloon payment and payments are probably less than the cost of a new machine so harveys are trying to get you to accept just paying the excess and walking away instead of getting a replacement. you need to check if your contract is for a like-4-like or equal value replacement
    a 2 year old washing machine is probably worth 50eu to an insurance company so they arent going to pay out.

i think its BS anyway so get a letter written up based on your contract and go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It's not only advertised, but implied by and sold as by sales staff, that if you damage your computer during the course of the contract, it will be repaired or replaced.
    I have never seen it advertised anywhere that the Flexirent agreement covers accidental damage. I would be interested to see where it is.

Wow, it's all over the posters when you go into any Harvey's computer department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

noodledog, you have done nothing but rant and abuse everyone on this thread. I'm locking this until one of the forum mods can take a look.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement