Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trail Riding in the City Centre

• 18-03-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

From wenesday the 28th of April 2010,
    trail riding for beginners & mountain bike skills is back.!
    meeting at the Popes Cross carpark gates in the Pheonix Park,
    @ 6:30 every wednesday and 3pm every Sunday
    normally lasts around 2 hours, maybe 30 mins longer. you can leave before that if you want..
    Its an excellent way of gaining confidence and skills and trusting your bike without the trek to wicklow.
    thank you to the boardies who have came along before.
    Its free advice and encouragement from other boardies. this goes a very long way

if you dont have a mtb and want to try it out you can rent one at the Parkgate St Gate for under 10euro for 3 hours. Ask for Paul MC Quade (Book in advanced for bike rental)
    age from 16 upwards,
    helmets are a must, !!!!!! can't stress that enough!!
    and some fluids.
    Steps, Roots, Drops, trails, braking, decents, climbs and everthing in between.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

this is cancelled until further notice, im sick as a dog:(

[2010-04-28 mod edit: struck out to avoid confusion]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

Damn, just saw this, I was looking forward to getting used to my new mtb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

steinone wrote: »
    Damn, just saw this, I was looking forward to getting used to my new mtb.

Why not just head out on it then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

I did of course, just its more fun with other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Give us a heads up Mockler when you're going to do this again, might try and join in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you just update this thread anyone that subs to it will get the update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

mockler, hit the hills man! even Masseys wood is better for skills than the park! park is grand when you cant get to the hills! I'll show yis anytime!

Lads and of coarse ladies!

THIS WED 28th/4/2010

6:30 @ The Popes Cross Carpark gates.

We ride out @ 6:40pm until 8:50pm

Bring your lid !!!!!!!! no lid no ride

Learn basic mtb skills and cheat death! ;)

Looking forward to see you all there

Andrew Mockler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

mockler007 wrote: »

Are respectable ladies also invited or are you just looking to go for a ride in the park in more ways than one ?

Drapper wrote: »
    mockler, hit the hills man! even Masseys wood is better for skills than the park! park is grand when you cant get to the hills! I'll show yis anytime!

this is true martin,
    But alot finish work at 5:30ish, get home, get ready ,
    and the park is near for alot of people. its very central and has alot of hidden drops and steep steps and the likes. In a way it is better as you dont have to spend hours cycling to the the trails, and get hardly anytime to actually ride them then.
    Plus with a bike rental place in the park and a hospital it fits the bill lol
    wicklow lacks this !!
    Its good for lads who just want to get their bearings on their bikes before going up 2 wicklow!

Dude i will take you up on the offer dont get me wrong, !!!!
    Just hope you will keep up with me.

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »
    Are respectable ladies also invited or are you just looking to go for a ride in the park in more ways than one ?

haha very funny jip!!

Ladies and gents,
    lads and girls
    and everything in between,
    once you have a bike and a lid.
    your welcome to join

yes, but there is no mountains in the park? bit flat.....
    and masseys/helfire is much better for getting off-road skills and confidence for beginner. Its about 20mins from the Park.
    again park is good fun, but you really need the hills!

hows the Wicklow Way training going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

I'm keen to do these rides!
    Can't make this wed but hope to go next week!!!

Very handy time and place for an evening spin....

D

Drapper wrote: »
    yes, but there is no mountains in the park? bit flat.....
    and masseys/helfire is much better for getting off-road skills and confidence for beginner. Its about 20mins from the Park.
    again park is good fun, but you really need the hills!

hows the Wicklow Way training going?

its 22mins from the park to tallaght village drapper, and thats on the fly.
    i brought 1st timers to wicklow before and they were fecked after 30mins man if that.
    FACT !!! As the thread says its trail riding in the city centre, and for a city centre is pritty good
    If people do want to go to wicklow, Morgan from MAD is doing his beginners outting on the weekend at 10am or around that time <morgans thread in link below>
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055895682
    if you have a van Drapper and want to bring us all up id be quite happy!!!
    Around the maga fort and the furry glen has hills, very steep steps and good sized drops. for a beginner. without trekking up to wicklow. if you really feck your bike up you dont have far to walk
    Hey it aint wicklow, but it aint holland either yesh Schmoke and a flapjack?
    A lot of dubs athletes train in the park everyday, from roadies, yoggers, and walkers to the seasonal cop a feelers!
    At the end of the day its accessable for all and its great way for the boardies to meet!

training going good, but im not dishing out the details. !!!!!! top secret !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Arrangements in original post updated per mockler's request

Lumen wrote: »
    Arrangements in original post updated per mockler's request

legend so you are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

Was that you 3 lads that met up at the Popes Cross this evening? Is it a Boards group for MTB, yea? I'd say it's great craic. Do you's just stay in Phoenix Park? And last question, is Phoenix Park always that busy with cyclists? It was my first time in it in this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Was that you 3 lads that met up at the Popes Cross this evening?

Was about to post this myself, although I'm pretty sure it was, you can't miss Mocklers baggies ! I spotted them around the Magazine Fort while I was running myself to death on the hills around it.

Park was very busy in that area yesterday evening, you even had the odd skanger burd riding bare back on a couple of horses at one stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 iercepa

i was out with Mockler and another guy on wed evening alright, we met at the cross and made our way across to magazine fort so that was prob us. we generally stay in the park, there are a few places around the fort and down the far side that are fairly decent. think Mockler is heading out again sunday, hopefully he will spot this and let ya know, otherwise next wed again if you want to join us austinbyrne21, the more the merrier.
    there was a triathlon cycling meet on so thats why all the bikes were around, pretty big turnout for that
    Jip i feel your pain, was incredibly humid that evening, especially if your running around the fort, those hills are a bee-atch at the best of times

yeh that was me alright , Roadies everywhere i thought someone was taking a piss outta me! one thing i will say is that the amount of roadies who drove to the park and took their road bikes off the racks was funny, and they slag us mtbrs for driving to wicklow for a blast.

Anyway 3pm this sunday for the park! popes x carpark gates ride out at 3:10 !

• Advertisement

THIS SUNDAY 2nd/5/2010

3pm @ The Popes Cross Carpark gates.

We ride out @ 3:10pm until 5pm ish

Bring your lid !!!!!!!! no lid no ride
    I would advise fluids aswell.

Learn basic mtb skills and cheat death! wink.gif
    or just up you level of fitness

Looking forward to see you all there

Andrew Mockler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

have you got another one going soon? is it going to be a regular sunday/wednesday evening thing? have the bike since nov, have been on some traisl with a co worker but only once other than that it has been road cycling. would love ot increase the skills a bit.

yes every week as the 1st post states burger. hope to see you therre

how was the awesomeness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

I reckon I just missed you guys last night!!! Saw a group of four I think in the distance as I was riding on Chesterfield ave towards popes X but in the time it took me to get to carpark, yer had disappeared onto the trails.....

Must leave earlier next week!!!!
    Still got a good work out just smashing about the hills..

As am aside.....Duathletes are funny!! Some great entertainment watching them tryin to ride fast on cervelos with deep rims and discs but yet they stop to mount their bikes!!! Brilliant laugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

Hey mockler007, these spins still happening ?
    If so, hoping to make it one of these days :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

Hey mockler007, these spins still happening ?
    If so, hoping to make it one of these days :D:D

where are the big drops in the park? i go regularly around the fort etc? i do it without a lid though -it will catch up one day!!

Any boardsie up there on Sunday, you passed me out just before the descent on the trail at the magazine fort, you were on an Orange Kona, your back wheel nearly went from under you, could of been nasty :)?

still happening but only on request,
    Still go out on the weds
    ive been up in the stoe alot so no sundays outtings.
    Ive given up on the boardies as they never really turn up when they say they will, :rolleyes: armchair mountain bikers

Advertisement