Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wille O'Dea - Token resignation?

Options
  • 18-03-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Can somebody please spell out for me in clear terms exactly what Willie O'Deas current situation is?

Does he still carry a high-ranking Political Office as a serving TD?

Is he still drawing a large salary and biding his time for a substantial pension?

Did he give up his Minister-ship as a token gesture so that the Mob would be happy and he could just plough on laughing at us from both sides of his smirking little mouth?

- Its black or its white - its wrong or its right; If Willie O'Dea is an honest, decent, worthy, dependable Politician then give him back his Ministerial role and lets get on with it - By the same token - If he is not then why has he not been shown the door in whatever manner is required to actually get rid of him permanently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

The message that his resignation as a minister while staying in office as a TD sends out is that it's not acceptable to engage in slanderous innuendo as a minister, but it's a case of no ethical standards necessary if you're a mere (6-figure salaried) TD.

See also: B. Ahern, J. O'Donoghue and T. Sargent, all still holding office and getting paid huge money by us despite resigning from higher offices because of wrongdoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Seems he forgot the name of the Garda who told him about the councillor. Seems he is just like Bertie with the amnesia! Surely this selective amnesia bars one from responsible representative politics? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

bazza1 wrote: »
    Surely this selective amnesia bars one from responsible representative politics? :mad:

You've got the wrong end of the stick there Ted, the selective amnesia is necessary in order to become a TD.

Check it out on the Oireachtas rules.

www.oireachtas.gov.ie/rules/memorylapses.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

bazza1 wrote: »
    Seems he forgot the name of the Garda who told him about the councillor. Seems he is just like Bertie with the amnesia! Surely this selective amnesia bars one from responsible representative politics? :mad:

Ireland, where 1/2 a resignation will do just fine.....

- All he has to do now is bide his time and he'll leech tax income off us inside and outside of Political Office until he kicks the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

If he resigns from the dail and a by-election is called, he could run for election again. If he did, he'd be elected, so by not resigning he is saving the state a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

phog wrote: »
    If he resigns from the dail and a by-election is called, he could run for election again. If he did, he'd be elected, so by not resigning he is saving the state a fortune.

Such a noble viewpoint......if he was known for acting nobly, however, he wouldn't have thrown out false allegations in the run-up to an election and lied about them later.

If he was interested in saving the state a fortune, he could always have not agreed to become a an ineffective minister.

And your point is so dependent on the idea that he'd be elected after everything that he's done.

There'd be some die-hards that'd vote for him alright, but most people have hopefully started to cop-on as to what's acceptable and what isn't.

Pretending you're supporting your city and its airport while copping out and voting with the whip isn't acceptable.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    There'd be some die-hards that'd vote for him alright, but most people have hopefully started to cop-on as to what's acceptable and what isn't.

And according to this study by UL and the Limerick Leader, 63% of Limerick people appear to have copped on:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Exclusive-Limerick-LeaderUL-poll-6337.6162161.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Such a noble viewpoint......if he was known for acting nobly, however, he wouldn't have thrown out false allegations in the run-up to an election and lied about them later.

If he was interested in saving the state a fortune, he could always have not agreed to become a an ineffective minister.

And your point is so dependent on the idea that he'd be elected after everything that he's done.

Pretending you're supporting your city and its airport while copping out and voting with the whip isn't acceptable.

Ever hear of Michael Lowry?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Well going by the front page of the Limerick Post this week, he is on compassionate leave from the Dail.

Then again the poor dear has had it tough. Afterall he was only caught out after lying to a newspaper in a recorded interview. Then lied about it in the Dail, then lied in court saying the interviewer misquoted him. Then went off and said he had forgotten what he said in the interview. Then in the Dail he claimed it was a Limerick Garda that told him the information. Then this week when the potential of more legal action due to him saying it was a garda that gave the information, has changed his story again to that he cannot remember the garda that told him and that it may not have been a garda.

Then again he has made a career of making ridiculous claims in public with nothing to back up the claims, all his pretend promises about what he was doing or going to do for Limerick fall under his tales of make believe.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well going by the front page of the Limerick Post this week, he is on compassionate leave from the Dail.

:mad:

I give up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

:mad:

I give up!

Yep, it gets mentioned during the Fiona O' Malley cover story. Guess she failed it the last election in Dun Laoghaire, and is now thinking of returning to run down here where the family name will get more votes than any policies.

The article goes on to say that O'Dea is keeping a low profile and that he has been offered a number of directorships and offered lecture roles in the local colleges.

Must be great to be drawing a TD wage plus all his pensions, and having to do no work at all. What a great political system we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

OK, we already had a Willie O Dea Bashing thread,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055832767

can we give it rest please ?

We most certainly do not have a thread where People can now air their views on the fact that despite being caught shame-faced and red-handed, Willie O'Dea is currently undeservedly leeching off the very State that many People feel he has shown a total and utter disrespect and offensive disregard towards.

- In my opinion the role he now plays is as our own unwanted, non-functioning, unrepentant Bandit TD.

A huge proportion of the City, County and State believe that Slick Willie shouldn't be banking our Tax money and should instead be investigated in some detail for his shenanigans - indeed the strength of Character he has demonstrated would probably be sufficient that his every dealing over the course of his wonderful career should now be carefully audited and published for our own reassurance and peace of mind.

It would also send out a clear message if Willie was to face legal proceedings for his recent elaborate chicanery - especially when we in Limerick have issues regarding Witnesses making false statements in Court etc.

- May I ask why you have forgiven Willie his many sins and seem so happy to have the Man that has apparently pulled more goodies out of Political Hats for the in-the-know petitioning Masses without doing anything at all of worth ever for the rest of the City?

You've been quite vocal in your adulation?
    He did, he retracted his statement and apologised to the court :rolleyes:
    Yes, Limerick is much better off now that we have no Minister at the cabinet table :rolleyes:
    Is an apology not an admission of guilt ?

He said he was mistaken, apologised, paid the Councillor damages and ultimately paid with his Job.

BTW he approached the court as soon as he found out he was mistaken
    AL and the Banks are completely different and you know it.
    Bailing out the banks was in the national interest, AL moving to Belfast was in the commercial interest of AL
    BTW The Govt didn't bail out any developers. Name one please ?

There was no long term future in connecting bits of computers together in a high cost economy like Ireland. It didn't matter when WOD went to Dell, they were going to pull out anyway. It was a minor miracle they stayed in Limerick for as long as they did.

The regeneration has already started, the Govt were never going to foot bill for knocking and building a load of houses. Private investment in the project didn't live up to expectation, we all know the reason why.

Credit for having some level of intelligence. Again if 40 % of the population in a 5 seat constituency considered him good enough to represent them then he must have done a lot of things right. All these people aren't stupid.

I'm not going to continue this argument with you, we have a difference of opinion, so I think we should leave at that, instead of hogging the discussion
    Once again, It was going to happen regardless.
    If he had voted against the party he would alienated himself and probably have lost the party whip. How much use would he be then as an independent ?
    Every other party is the same, you vote with the party, I don't like it either
    Are you that naive to think it works any other way ?
    It called politics for a reason.

I can just see it, the Dell Boardroom
    Michael Dell: I'm going to keep uncompetitive manufacturing in Limerick open because of the intense pressure from WOD.

Get real please.

If he goes again, he'll get in again, no problem
    TBH, I think mysterious is right, silly references to "Dandruff Willie" etc are childish and don't add anything to this discussion

After Hours is the place for that.

I know what I said and I stand by all of it.

My point is that we already had a thread for WOD bashing and I don't see the need for another one.

I know what I said and I stand by all of it.

My point is that we already had a thread for WOD bashing and I don't see the need for another one.

I'd hate to see this thread turn into anything as base as aimless 'Bashing' for the sake of it - I think its disrespectful to the prior Contributors on here label it as such just just it fits nicely on the edge of the shelf with your massive Willie O'Dea agenda.

- Willie has said enough, done enough and acted in such a manner that this thread could discuss the preposterous nature of his current lingering, profiteering, wholly inappropriate role ad nauseum without ever resorting to gratuitous, pointless low blows as you have implied.

Raiser wrote: »
    I'd hate to see this thread turn into anything as base as aimless 'Bashing' for the sake of it - I think its disrespectful to the prior Contributors on here label it as such just just it fits nicely on the edge of the shelf with your massive Willie O'Dea agenda.

- Willie has said enough, done enough and acted in such a manner that this thread could discuss the preposterous nature of his current lingering, profiteering, wholly inappropriate role ad nauseum without ever resorting to gratuitous, pointless low blows as you have implied.

Fine, off you go then.
    Once again, we already have a thread for this, why have we created a new one ??

Fine, off you go then.
    Once again, we already have a thread for this, why have we created a new one ??

My Great-Grandfather was Internationally known for his patience.

My Grandfather once successfully listened to John Gormley for 1 hour.

My Father founded the reiteration Museum in Budapest.

- I'm willing to stay up all night - Which bit didn't you get?

My Great-Grandfather was Internationally known for his patience.

My Grandfather once successfully listened to John Gormley for 1 hour.

My Father founded the reiteration Museum in Budapest.

- I'm willing to stay up all night - Which bit didn't you get?

I'm not.

If you might cut out all the sh*te talk, we might get somewhere.

Third time. We already have a thread for discussing the Willie O Dea debacle. I'm curious as to why we now need another thread to "discuss" the same thing.

I cannot make it any clearer than that.

Which role were you playing at again :D

- I have you at 'D' right now?

hydromation_5_recirculation_cycle_diagram_web.jpg

Which role were you playing at again :D

- I have you at 'D' right now?

hydromation_5_recirculation_cycle_diagram_web.jpg

Nice :D

I have you swiming around in the middle of that big tank of sh*t!

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    The article goes on to say that O'Dea is keeping a low profile and that he has been offered a number of directorships and offered lecture roles in the local colleges.

Hope it's not a law college....

And I hope some student records the lectures, too!

Why is it bashing to point out that his behaviour is unacceptable and he should no longer be a TD ?

And the fact that he's not deserving of "compassionate leave" and that you or I wouldn't get it if we'd brought our employer into disrepute ?

That's not bashing, it's stating facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭bored and fussy

Hope it's not a law college....

And I hope some student records the lectures, too!

Why is it bashing to point out that his behaviour is unacceptable and he should no longer be a TD ?

And the fact that he's not deserving of "compassionate leave" and that you or I wouldn't get it if we'd brought our employer into disrepute ?

can someone fill me in on the willie o'dea story again i forget already i only remember bits of stories all i remember is,

SF
    BROTHEL
    APPARTMENT
    MONEY
    AND WILLIE

can someone fill me in on the willie o'dea story again i forget already i only remember bits of stories all i remember is,

SF
    BROTHEL
    APPARTMENT
    MONEY
    AND WILLIE

Poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

in days of yore when i was younger and impressionable wod claimed a legal degree or something similar, i was very dissapointed when the bar council disagreed with some of his claims as his rights to practise some aspects of law, it was all over the leader back then, there were claims made that certain instutions were out to get him, has any one any leads to all this, due to medical reasons i cannot remember it, please help an old guy out.

To be honest, at this point in time if William O'Dea told me the grass was green I'd go outside and double-check it........

Totally agree.

There was an interesting opinion piece in today's Irish Times by Theo Dorgan headlined All our criticism is dismissed and jibed at, as if we are not really there

Bacon&Cabbage, it seems that you aren't prepared to respond to the above legitimate criticisms of Willie O'Dea, instead, much like the government supporters Dorgan writes about, you have just jibed at the critics for starting a thread addressing a separate angle on the O'Dea story.

Every Dog has its day.

Even the 'Dogs' have their loyal Supporters.

- People who Publicly support such People against the tide of reason and common sense are not worth paying heed to on any level.

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Totally agree.

There was an interesting opinion piece in today's Irish Times by Theo Dorgan headlined All our criticism is dismissed and jibed at, as if we are not really there
    Oh, a journalist wrote it, it must be true...:rolleyes:
    gaf1983 wrote: »
    Bacon&Cabbage, it seems that you aren't prepared to respond to the above legitimate criticisms of Willie O'Dea, instead, much like the government supporters Dorgan writes about, you have just jibed at the critics for starting a thread addressing a separate angle on the O'Dea story.

Yawn! I'm getting bored with this.

I responded to all the criticisms on this thread

We now have 3 WOD bashing/Criticising/whatever you want to call it, threads.

My point, for the fourth time, is that there is already a thread on the subject and I don't see the need for another one.

- People who Publicly support such People against the tide of reason and common sense are not worth paying heed to on any level.

Meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Tony Killeen, the man who has taken over the Defence ministry from O'Dea today, sought the early release from prison of a murderer and a paedophile amongst others (google it if you haven't heard). That is way worse than what O'Dea did in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Jigga wrote: »
    Tony Killeen, the man who has taken over the Defence ministry from O'Dea today, sought the early release from prison of a murderer and a paedophile amongst others (google it if you haven't heard). That is way worse than what O'Dea did in my opinion
    So they've replaced a perjurer with something worse? Oh, that's all right then...
    willie-0021.jpg

'Media elements don’t like me...'

Advertisement