Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jarlsberg cheese in Dublin?

Options
  • 18-03-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows of this Scandanavian cheese (baby swiss style apparently), and if it might be available in Dublin, or even in the rest of the country? I couldn't get enough of it on a recent trip to Stockholm, lovely stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ikea have it afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ruicosta10

I called them, but they said they didn't have it... though it might be best to pop in to them sometime. Have you seen it there before olaola?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I've gotten that before. they have it in Tesco (own brand in clear wrapping and - I think - a red label).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

ruicosta10 wrote: »
    I called them, but they said they didn't have it... though it might be best to pop in to them sometime. Have you seen it there before olaola?

They've got a decent range of really nice cheeses. I probably am mistaken about the Jarlsberg though. Maybe try Fallon & Byrne?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

As Little Alex said, Tesco carry this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

That's a lovely cheese. I did see it here before, guess it may have been Tesco's.

Which Tescos are you guys talking about? There tends to be quite a variation depending on which one you go to. And what do you mean by 'own brand' Little Alex..... so its not Jarlsberg, but a Tesco's Finest equivalent or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

ruicosta10 wrote: »
    Which Tescos are you guys talking about? There tends to be quite a variation depending on which one you go to. And what do you mean by 'own brand' Little Alex..... so its not Jarlsberg, but a Tesco's Finest equivalent or something?

Hi ruicosta

I can't remember which branch I got it in, but it was probably Rathfarnham or Nutgrove. The brand was the normal Tesco brand, not Finest. It wasn't in the section with the standard pre-packaged cheeses (Kilmeaden, Mitchelstown, etc.), but where the speciality cheeses and salami and the like are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Marks and Spencers stock a mild variety of Jarlsberg. Sliced.

I'm partial to it. Taste-wise, a rounded, milky Gouda.

Thanks for the info guys. Interestingly, just did a search on Wiki for this cheese, and the article alleges that other than Norway, it is licensed for production in two other countries; the US and... by Dairygold in Ireland! A caveat to this is that it says 'citation needed', but another quick Google search threw up an announcement of this partnership from 2006. It may never have got off the ground, so I would doubt if its available these days.

I also saw at superquinn's online shop that they stock its own brand of Jarlsberg, so that might be worth looking into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jackie_brown

m&s and superquinns do jarslberg
    its not that hard to find, this cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Saw some today in Clarehall.

We got a huge block of it in Sainsburys in Newry for feck all a while ago.

Advertisement