Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting 120 film developed

• 18-03-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Any recommendations of where to go? Need developing and supply on CD - ideally somewhere in Swords or within walking distance of Dorset Street.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

b&w, C41 or E6? only place that will do E6 is the fuji centre on lower abbey street, which is not that far from dorset street. right side o the river anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 notspav

b&w, C41 or E6? only place that will do E6 is the fuji centre on lower abbey street, which is not that far from dorset street. right side o the river anyway.

Sorry - C41 (new to this film lark).

I got my last roll developed at the place on Abbey Street, but they made a bit of a balls of it - the neg was all crumpled and marked, something to do with a problem when scanning it apparently. They were very nice and all, but I wouldn't mind giving somewhere else a whirl.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

gunns on camden

gunns on camden

Bit of a trek, but I hear good things about them.

Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

Maybe the Camera Cabin on Swords main street? Fuji place in the Pavilions don't do 120, I asked a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Camera Ex on Georges st do 120film C+B&W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Conns on Clarendon street developped my last batch - negs + CD, 3 rolls B&W for a whopping 60 quick. Keep in mind 120 film isnt the cheapest to develop!

You can also send them to Illford Labs, fill in the form and post them away.

Both of them I was happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

sNarah wrote: »
    Conns on Clarendon street developped my last batch - negs + CD, 3 rolls B&W for a whopping 60 quick. Keep in mind 120 film isnt the cheapest to develop!

You can also send them to Illford Labs, fill in the form and post them away.

Both of them I was happy with.

€20 a roll :eek: :eek: :eek:

I haven't gotten a single roll of film developed by anyone else but me for the last three years or so. For €20 I could get enough chems to develop about 20 rolls of B&W one shot. For twice that amount I can get enough C-41 chemicals to last me for a year. Whatever about colour, if you're shooting B&W there's really no reason not to develop your own.

€20 a roll :eek: :eek: :eek:

I haven't gotten a single roll of film developed by anyone else but me for the last three years or so. For €20 I could get enough chems to develop about 20 rolls of B&W one shot. For twice that amount I can get enough C-41 chemicals to last me for a year. Whatever about colour, if you're shooting B&W there's really no reason not to develop your own.

Yeah I know :( Lack of time + equipment and dont shoot it that much to actually look into it. Actually I think it might have 90 quid. hm. If I get the hang of it, I will look into developping myself but for the time being I'll have my pockets emptied.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

absolute con men in that place, thats disgraceful, i fail to see how its more expensive, uses same equipment to dev

• Advertisement

absolute con men in that place, thats disgraceful, i fail to see how its more expensive, uses same equipment to dev

I'd say the problem is that it's B&W, not that it's 120. They could probably put C-41 120 through their minilabs, but they most likely have to get the B&W dipped and dunked. They might even send it out or something.

-edit- but it's still a ludicrous price though, that's for sure :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gunns is €4.50 a roll, dev and cut, for B&W (120 or 35mm). that'd allow €15.50 for the scan, if you compare that to conns' prices.

I'd say the problem is that it's B&W, not that it's 120. They could probably put C-41 120 through their minilabs, but they most likely have to get the B&W dipped and dunked. They might even send it out or something.

i'll do it a tenner a roll

dev on disk, using a coolscan :P

Jep, they do send it out*. I was a bit suprised when he added it up, I'd prepared myself for a 'rather expensive' amount but not this much...

* which results in 3 weeks from bringing them in to delivery at my house.

sNarah wrote: »
    Jep, they do send it out*. I was a bit suprised when he added it up, I'd prepared myself for a 'rather expensive' amount but not this much...

* which results in 3 weeks from bringing them in to delivery at my house.

That's pretty awful. €30 to take 3 weeks for development. At least they deliver them I suppose :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Photocare Abbey Street is €6.50 for a roll of C41 120, and a further €6 per roll if you want CD. I picked up two rolls of Pro 800Z yesterday so prices are current. Mind you I am not paying anyone 6 euro to scan to CD .... no thank you very much, but you might not have a scanner.

Simplicius wrote: »
    Photocare Abbey Street is €6.50 for a roll of C41 120, and a further €6 per roll if you want CD. I picked up two rolls of Pro 800Z yesterday so prices are current. Mind you I am not paying anyone 6 euro to scan to CD .... no thank you very much, but you might not have a scanner.

The OP mentioned Photocare above, but had a bad experience there. For what it's worth OP, I've put quite a few rolls of slide, both 35mm and 120, through Photocare and never had a single problem. In fact they were the only place I had film developed anywhere in the city centre (bar gunns, never had a roll developed there) that didn't scratch the rolls, or mark them, or put huge fingerprints on them, or cut them in odd places ...

The OP mentioned Photocare above, but had a bad experience there. For what it's worth OP, I've put quite a few rolls of slide, both 35mm and 120, through Photocare and never had a single problem. In fact they were the only place I had film developed anywhere in the city centre (bar gunns, never had a roll developed there) that didn't scratch the rolls, or mark them, or put huge fingerprints on them, or cut them in odd places ...

I've had 2 rolls in there - the first came back completely blank, and the second only had 3 (and a bit) exposures, and the negs were badly marked / creased.

These were the first 2 rolls I've put through an old Yashica Mat bought off eBay, so it's possible that it's all down to me / the camera and nothing to do with Photocare. Fairly certain the neg damage happened at their end mind you, looks like it was fed incorrectly into the scanner. However, the last thing I want to do is bad mouth them when they could be blameless, and I must say they were very friendly both times.

Might give them another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

There is a place on Merrion Sq in the basement of one of the Goergian piles that does E41 ( slide) don't ask me the name.... went in there once with C41 rolls in 120 ... the attitude was crap .. "we only do E41!" with a look on his face like I'd just ask could I get a BJ off him.

Ain't been back since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

The place on Abbey Street uses decent equipment (Fuji Frontier) but it's a high-speed commercial scanner with a lot of post-processing and will only hand you JPG images in fixed (fairly low resolutions) sizes. It's an excellent scanner for what it's designed to do (high-speed printing for the average consumer) but if you look at it carefully.. there's a lot of sharpening and other trickery going on.

A frontier system's scanner will actually give you really freaky output from things like high-speed black & white films (like 1600, 3200 and 6400) because it's sharpening filters actually end up sharpening the film grain and it just looks hideous!

Another "deficiency" from the standpoint of a pro or a serious hobbyist is that a Frontier will only put out up to a 10x15" 303dpi image no matter what the source material is, and that's just not all that high. (This figure might be different on Frontier models newer than the ones I used to work with.. just to add a disclaimer.. and if what you want is consumer-grade stuff. I'd highly recommend the Frontier over similar equipment from Kodak, Noritsu, AGFA or Gretag [if they are still in business] It's output is actually the nicest upon very close inspection [like looking at it under a loupe or zooming in really far] It's much less obvious that it's a digital print.)

My recommendation would be to get the roll of film developed *only*, and ask them not to cut it down, but instead put it in a big, long single-piece sleeve. You could also get prints and uncut negatives. (although some shops might tell you that they have to cut the negatives to print them. if they're using a Fuji Frontier.. it's actually preferable that they DON'T cut them before printing from a film-handling perspective.)

Then get yourself a decent scanner that has the right holders for 120 film. (I have an Epson Perfection V500 Photo myself, and it does a decent job with up to 6x9cm 120 film, it also does slides or negatives. and don't forget to get decent negative sleeving that you can put in a 3-ring binder!)

If I could afford it.. I'd have Nikon Coolscan 9000ED film scanner as it's absolutely stomping. (I really miss having access to one.. used to work in a photolab with a Fuji Frontier system and an Nikon Coolscan 8000ED, as well as an A3 sized Epson scanner that did a fantastic job with reflective scanning.)

This will give you "raw" input from your negatives that you can tweak, at whatever resolution you set. (My Epson can do 6400dpi natively, and interpolate to much higher.. although I would recommend never going over the lowest maximum native resolution available [as in.. if the scanner can do 3200x6400 natively.. never go above 3200dpi]) You'll also be able to tweak the output, and have control over any color adjustments, sharpening filters etc.. yourself. (Ideally sharpening filters shouldn't be applied until you've resampled an image to it's final print resolution... as in.. if you're preparing output for a Fuji Frontier.. 303dpi @ whatever size you're printing such as 4x6", 8x10" etc..)

• Advertisement
Advertisement