Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good chinese take aways in Rathmines/Ranelagh area.

Options
  • 18-03-2010 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I've tried Hoho's which was just about paletable and the new empire which was pretty much disgusting. Anyone know any good ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jimmytwomey

Diep in Ranelagh is the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

Wongs Restauraunt, is excellent. They are on Sandford Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Diep in Ranelagh is the business.

yeah both the restaurant and the (premium) take away are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Bamboo is very nice!
    They really should fix it up a little though.It looks like a bit of a dive from the outside which would probably put people off from trying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

poisonated wrote: »
    Bamboo is very nice!
    They really should fix it up a little though.It looks like a bit of a dive from the outside which would probably put people off from trying it.

Wongs is the best Chinese takeaway in dublin - miles ahead of Kites or anywhere else - but is a tad pricey. Its literally incredible - get one just to try sometime and you'll be blown away. Beef w/ginger or the salt-chili prawns would be top of the list for me.

For a casual tuesday night in job, the Bamboo is the best out of all of the Ranelagh/Rathmines/Rathgar/Donnybrook takeaways - the quality of their prawns and such is exceptionally good and they're always very prompt and polite. The fact that it looks like a dive from the outside but is always busy should give you an idea about its ''well kept secret'' status :D

Diep is pretty damn good, but is more viet/thai orientated and the Diep@Home takeaway thing is a bit too pricey to be competitive with Wongs. The pork belly starter is damn good, as is the Pad Thai or the Duck Vermicilli noodle soup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Do Wongs do takeaway? Had a look at their website but it didnt seem to have much information, no menus etc. Keep meaning to give them a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

mbroaders wrote: »
    Do Wongs do takeaway? Had a look at their website but it didnt seem to have much information, no menus etc. Keep meaning to give them a go.

Only since about christmas.. and HOLY ****!

As I said, a little pricey but its genuine restaurant quality food in silver takeaway trays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Go-Go-Gadget

I live in the area myself and I have to say the best by far for price is either Bamboo (ranelagh) or AA's (new in rathmines down from Ho-Ho's)

Ho-Ho's is the worst by far in my opinion, their chicken doesnt look or taste like chicken.
    Empire is pretty poor too.

Definitely give AA's or bamboo a try.
    http://www.yelp.ie/biz/aa-chinese-fast-food-and-take--away-rathmines

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/bamboo-chinese-take-away-ranelagh

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

The Green Dragon Restaurant in Killiney Shopping Centre do very good food to take away. They also do a great value 3 course lunch for €9.50. Amazing.

By the way, the Bamboo in Ranelagh has reopened (May 2011) as the New Bamboo. Haven't tried it yet but will do so shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Golden Palace in Rathmines is the best, but the best value is Hoang-Ha in Harold's Cross at the end of the Leisnter Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Golden Palace in Rathmines is the best, but the best value is Hoang-Ha in Harold's Cross at the end of the Leisnter Road.

Hoang-Ha is disgusting, avoid like the plague, greasy cheap muck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Golden Palace in Rathmines is the best.

I'll second this. Just tonight I had skewered chicken, fried rice and szechuan sauce from Golden Palace. Delicious. For me they do the best szechuan sauce I've ever tasted, although I've only ever had it from like four places. A friend of mine says they do a really great curry sauce, I don't like curry so I'll take his word on that.

Incidentally the worst szechuan sauce I've ever tasted is from Excelsior in Nutgrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

surprised Youngs hasn't been mentioned yet

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

I've tried Hoho's which was just about paletable and the new empire which was pretty much disgusting. Anyone know any good ones?

What does PALETABLE mean? Is that a table that's just got a fright? Or did you mean PALATABLE?

;)

China House on Clanbrassil deliver to D6, D6W & I have to say its one of my favourites. Really lovely.

The Rathgar chinese takeaway used to be really lovely, but its gone way down hill over the past year or so. Wouldn't go near it now.

Ho Ho do the best salt and chilli chicken wings by miles if you like them, rest of their menu is OK, nothing great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

fortune cookie in harolds cross is lovely

fortune cookie in harolds cross is lovely

It can be nice alright - it was taken over by a new crowd there around last year - they're trying really hard & have little touches like free prawn crackers and fortune cookies - which is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

Emerald Court in Ranelagh is the biz - never lets me down! http://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-emeraldcourt/menu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

New Empire on Lower Rathmines Road is great, nice customer service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

fryup wrote: »
    surprised Youngs hasn't been mentioned yet

Far as i know Youngs is gone??

I moved out of Rathmines 4 or 5 years ago but i remember ho ho s being ****e. Two best Chinese take aways in the Rathmines and Ranelagh area where Youngs in Rathmines and China cottage in Ranelagh. Both are closed now which make no sense to me at all as they were much better then ho ho s for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement