Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tights always rip

• 18-03-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Does anyone else have that problem? Some don't even last a day - its drivin me insane I spent so much money on tight.

Does anyone have any tips for making tights last longer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stevo25

leave them in the packet!. lol
    apparently freeze before putting them then you wont snag them, according to jenny frost on bbc3
    i personally prefer to rip em off :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eradicate

LOL!!, not as far as i know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

All depends on the quality of the tights. I bought a 3 pack of black opaque tights from marks and spencers (I think it was about 13 euro for the 3) and that was a year ago. And I've climbed walls and done all sorts in them haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Littleroo

I heard putting them in the frezzer works

I think if you get a small ladder, clear nail varnish will stop it ripping further

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Maybe they're a size too small for you? To be honest, my tights rarely rip unless I catch them in something (I've one pair of boots with a zip that has destroyed many expensive pairs of tights!). If they're not even lasting a day, and you're not really clumsy and constantly catching them on things, then I'd say they're almost certainly too small for you.

Other than that, invest in a good pair. The M&S ones mentioned above are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I usually wear Dunnes tights and never have this problem. THey're the most expensive Dunnes ones though:)

Having said that I have hardly any nails, so I suppose that makes it easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You can get different levels of thickness in tights. Look for the highest 'denier' you can get, they are less likely to tear if they are thicker. For black tights, you could look for an 80 for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Yes that's the problem though - its now starting to get warm and I don't want to get the thickest tights on the market - I buy the lightest ones.

I will have a look at the M&S and Dunnes tights so thats for the reccomendations - I hate penneys tights and I love Wolford but it breaks my heart when I rip a pair of them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 posgoofy

Aristoc are introducing anti-ladder technology in a new line called Aristoc Ultimates, which will be available in Arnotts this summer. Even if you get them snagged on something they will positively not run. They will be aprox. €7.00

Your other option is to buy tights such as Falke Diamond 10 or the Individual range in Wolford as the yarn is completely different to regular nylons and wears brilliantly.

Tights will ladder if you're wearing too small a size as it puts pressure on the nylon.

And to be honest, you get what you pay for. You can buy tights in p***eys which look like sh*t, cost a euro, are made by children in sweat shops in china and rip as soon as you put them on. Or you can pay a few euro extra and get decent tights and a healthy conscience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

I got some Ladder Resistant ones in Tesco ... tried lord knows how many & one of the dogs always wins & jumps up & rips them! Oddly they never ripped the tesco ones, they are only light & they were cheap 3 pairs for 5 or 7 quid. The others I have are Dunnes, they are heavier but never rip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Yeah I always wear the light patterned ones but they last a day or two. Anything can snag them, start a ladder and bye bye lovely new pair of tights. So I guess it's just the thickness..

I hate pennys ones too but love their opaque ones with designs on them so a just buy a few of the same ones, thats about €4 in total. Job done.

My thicker footless tights however have lasted months even with the dogs when I'm careful! Got them in New Look and they are cheap enough with loads of different colours and designs. I always keep an eye out for these during sales cause they can go from €12 to €1. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yep as Faith said you may be wearing a size too small. I buy my summer tights in M&S which are fairly thin and they last a long time. The gusset usually goes after a while but they rarely ladder. I started buying opaque ones from pennys recently and they're great.

I bought wolford tights for my wedding. They were expensive (€30 or something) but I danced barefoot in them all night and they were perfect afterwards. I wouldn't normally spend that much on tights but you definitely pay for quality.

IMO, M&S are the best for everyday tights.

Advertisement