Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting from Munich to Austria on train?

• 18-03-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Howdy
    Just a quickie to see if anyone had any pointers on the trains from Munich to Austria?

We're all 30s so can't get the discount card or anything like that. We'll be heading to Innsbruck.

Been on the website (bahn.com) and seems simple enough, so basically I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice re booking tkts online or picking them up when you get there etc etc?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

In Austria at the moo Moment and got the train down from Munich to Bischofshofen. Bought it off www.oebb.at and just printed it off. Its an e ticket.

I booked a specific train and booked 1st class as it was a bargain. Glad I did as the rest of the train was jammers.

Its real easy. Get on at the airport, change at Munich Ost then on to resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ourfi

The train an easy option. find it in basement of airport. Usually 2 changes. Look up as mentioned Oebb.at and book online. you can print out tickets & they do good discount prices if booked 7days in advance.
    Otherwise there is 4seasons bus transfer munich to Innsbruck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

the particular train i want is booked out through the oebb site but available through bahn.com. Seems like i'll have to go with them.

I assume one's just a german company and the other austrian? seems like seats are very few so best get booking...

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ourfi

Yep just german and austrian networks. Never really any great variation in price. Book away as you must be travelling peak time. The transfer coach I mentioned works out about €40 to Innsbruck & handy if arriving late. Their drive time is ca 2&1/2 hrs. Train can b more relaxing.....enjoy

cheers...can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

How many of ye is there and when are you landing?

If youre on the morning flight and youre not in a mad rush then you can get the bayern ticket which entitles up to 5 people to travel by regional trains to the border for 33 euro.
    The lads in austria have a similar ticket onwards for the border to innsbruck called the "einfach raus" ticket for about 33 or 35 euro.

Theres direct regional trains from Munich to Innsbruck that go "over the top" via Garmisch and Seefeld and you proabably wont get a better introduction to the alps than this trip.
    And its cheap
    (70 euro approx divided by 5 is 14 euro each!!)

from db.de and oebb.at you can get the tickets in advance

sorry for late reply...only noticed..

there's 4 of us going. We get into Munich with Aerlingus at 10am.

TBH if it was me on my own I wouldn't mind doing what your saying but it might be a bit much messing around when there's other people and large bags etc involved...we've saved for the trip so we're lucky enough not to have to worry about money for it

i've looked into it and it does sound interesting. I'm probably wrong but there doesn't seem to be a station with the bayern ticket option nearby the airport. Can you tell me a bit more about getting on the bayern train from the airport if you don't mind?

I guess this is why just booking tickets on bahn.com seems so attractive - just hop on at the airport, then one change and you're at Innsbruck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Search the winter sports forum section for 'bayern'. There is a ton of info on it in the Oberstdorf thread.

You basically buy it at the station. It costs about e28 and it entitles up to 5 people to travel within bayern area so if there is 8 of you it would be 56 for 2 tickets. As mentioned above there is a similar ticket available from austria. Unfortunately can't help you with this.

When in the airport, just before you take the escalator to the train platform, there is an info desk facing the escalator. Just ask there and they will tell you about it, and may even sell it to you. If not there is a bunch of machines just around the corner.

Just remember to put your name on the ticket. Got some daggers from an inspector last time round :)

Advertisement