Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C-section under general anesthetic

Options
  • 18-03-2010 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I might have to have my baby by casearean section and if so it would have to be under general anesthesia (medical reasons)

Anyone else in the same boat? Or been through this already? I'm disappointed at thoughts of "missing" the birth and wonder how long I will be "under" for, when do I get to see my baby and it's implications for bf'ing?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hey,

Sorry to hear you have to be asleep for the birth. Apart from you not getting to see the baby as soon as he or she is born and your birthing partner not being allowed in the room, I'm told it's much the same.

You shouldn't be under for too long and should be able to breastfeed when you come round. As far as I know the baby stays in the room with you even if you're asleep and they transfer you to recovery with the baby so you will see him or her as soon as you wake up.

I've had general anesthetic twice and both times it felt like I was out for less than a minute even though it was over an hour and I asked when they were going to do the operation when they'd already finished. So you may wake up wondering when they're going to do the section!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Charlies Angel

Thanks Das Kitty for your reply:)

So you reckon you are out for about an hour in total?

Also baby stays with you in recovery? I thought baby would be passed to Dad - I'd like the idea of someone "minding" baby until I come around. :confused:

How was your recovery after the surgery? How long before you were up and about? how were you with driving, lifting baby etc when you got home?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

It can depend on the hospital's policy. Some hospitals don't allow babies in to recovery particulary after a GA as Mum needs 1:1 nursing care at this point and is not really in a position to take care of a newborn (and neither are the staff). In many cases Dad is sent to the post natal ward where he can have skin to skin with your newborn. This is a great way to settle your newborn before you come up to the ward.

If you plan on breastfeeding talk to your Doc/Midwife before about your pain medication options. Morphine can have you very out of it and make breastfeeding more challenging so there are alternatives. On the day of your surgery ask for the lactation consultant to come and see you as soon as possible after you come up from recovery.

Best of luck

Tracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I had an emergency c section under general anesthetic 15 months ago. I was out of it on morphine afterwards, never got the chance to discuss my decision to breastfeed with the surgical team before surgery, so they didn't cater for it. Made it very hard to breastfeed afterwards. Baby was taken to Dad straight away and he fed and dressed her and they were transferred to post natal before I was brought up.

I was brought for c section at 7.00pm they spent time trying to top up my epidural and eventually put me under, baby was born at 8.40pm and I was back on the ward at around 10pm after recovery and all.

I felt like I missed out on the birth for a good while after but if it had to be done for me and my babies safety then so be it and I'm grateful to the doctors and nurses for doing their best for us.

thank you so much for replies.

I will attend the Rotunda but don't know what their policy is in this regard. I have an appointment there next week so hope to be armed with all my questions ready.

Anyone attend Rotunda?

I won't be having epidural (again medical reasons) so it would be a planned c-section under GA. I wonder would this mean I would be back in recovery quicker or does it make any difference?

Gutted to think I will miss out on birth. Many many tears cried. Would like to think baby would spend the time with Dad though..

• Advertisement

I had my c section in the Rotunda.

Don't be sad, you'll still be having your baby, just in a different way. If it needs to be done for medical reasons then it's the safest way. You just really need to take it easy for at least six weeks after the birth.

Thanks adrieanne. So in Rotunda, they must take baby to Dad?

You were away for 3 hours in all?

God I think that's a pretty long time.. Don't fancy my chances of successful bf'ing by the sounds of things.

First baby, bag of nerves as it is!!!

I'm not sure if baby must be taken by Dad but that's what happened with me!

I was away for 3 hours but they spent 40 minutes trying to top up my epidural before finally putting me under. It could be quicker with you with a planned c section.

Make your wishes known about breastfeeding before surgery and I'm sure they'll accommodate you!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You can still breastfeed. I wasn't asleep but was in a state when I had my section and wasn't able to take my baby onto my chest, in fact I told my husband "Get him out of here". It was an hour before they came back and it was another hour before I was in the ward and they put me on my side to feed him. He only stayed on a few minutes before going to sleep for hours. I'm still breastfeeding now. They may give him a bottle but don't worry, one isn't going to ruin your chances.

I know a mother who decided to breastfeed 3 weeks after the birth and managed to get her milk up and going.

thanks girls for your replies. it's really helpful to know others have gone through it and come through the other side with healthy babys. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Charlie's Angel you absolutely can breastfeed even after a GA - just be sure you get to talk to the LC and let the midwives know that you want to breastfeed your baby asap.

Your baby may be a bit sleepy too due to the GA but the sooner you can have skin to skin with your baby the better. Starting off with a bottle means your baby won't be stimulating the breasts to start off your milk production so it's not the ideal way to start breastfeeding. The LC may give you a pump to start you off if you decide to give the baby a bottle first off.

Tracy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I had my baby by emergency section in the Rotunda too. They tried to leave daddy in with me but I was out before he was scrubbed up. There was a woman in the ward with me that had a pre-planned section because of health issues, her husband was allowed in with her!

As for getting to see your baby, I didn't get to see my son for 12 hours as he was brought to neo-netal care for a while after he was born, but that was solely because of the emergency of the c-section nothing to do with the section itself. And I had a hard time bfeeding afterwards but that was to do with the long separation and a disasterous first attempt in front of a more than critical MIL who would not leave!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I had an unplanned section under GA. I think it took about 15 minutes. I didnt see the baby for about an hour after that. Was on a catheter for a while, morphine drip and followed by vicodin. I also developed pre eclamsia during the labour because my body failed to handle the pitocin and whatever other drips I was on [failed induction]. Tried to breastfeed but didn't work out even after they gave me an electric pump. Was in the hospital for 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Hi,

I had my last baby 12mts ago under by an emergency ga in the Rotunda. It was a crash delivery and the staff were absolutely amazing. I know without the Rotunda, I would not have healthy happy little baby beside me now.So you will be in good hands.
    It's a different birthing experience and can feel a bit odd but my advice is just to look at it as as something that both you and your baby need, and the main objective of being pregnant is having a healthy baby and mum.
    I had to go to HDU after the birth and baby was preterm and went to ICU so I can't help you in relation when your partner is allowed in or when you can breastfeed.
    Best of luck xx

Thanks again Folks. If it is a definite case of having to go this route, at least I have a little more idea of what to expect. I have a list of questions ready aswell, just in case it is suggested.

I'm not so worried if my husband isnt allowed into theatre, in fact I don't expect him to be, but I would prefer if he could cuddle baby until I come round if at all possible.

Some great positives there about the bf'ing too. I guess it will be a case of letting them all know my plans..

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Aera

hi girls
    could you give some advise?
    I have back problem, there are two hernias and one of them is broken, I got those problem when my second baby arrived and now I am really worry about natural delivery, because my back will kill me. I can not get spinal anesthetic because of my back problem, so will I get GA as a planned operation or what I have to do? I have just 7 weeks but started to to think about, my next appointment for blood test, scan and to see a doctor in April. do I have to talk with doctor or so?
    thanks mil

Go through your previous birth experience with your doctor and ask to meet with the anesthesiologist to put a pain relief plan in place for your birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Aera

ok,thanks

Advertisement