Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass rates are back!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

I wonder what period they cover, compared to what was there before. Rathgar is down to 30%, Tallaght down from 59% to 40%. There's something wrong here, either the previous figures were a work of fiction, or these ones are covering a very short period, but I certainly haven't noticed that testers are being more strict in their marking recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

The title says 'Pass Rate 2009' !! Is this an overall year figure ?

Seems very low in some places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

I wonder is there a correlation between the low pass rate and the massive drop off in business for driving instructors last year?? Were applicants turning up for test without having done any lessons beforehand....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

So pass rates vary from 30% to 67%. While the standard of applicant may differ to some extent, this still suggests a pretty radical variance in the performance required to pass the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I'm not very surprised at the low numbers especially in Dublin. I felt Tallaght at 59% aswell as Rathgar/Finglas were incorrect statistics considering the large amounts of people that seemed to be failing everyday.
    I am surprised at the difference in pass rates between centres too...Sligo & Rathgar...wow..I wonder have they started looking into this yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭SherryD

The difference between Rathgar and Churchtown is particularly shocking since the 2 centres overlap on routes so much! Are they just evil testers in Rathgar or something?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭driverite

I'm wondering do they include tests not performed as fails. I have spent a good bit of time in churchtown lately, and a large number of tests were not conducted for some reason or another. nct.......licence.....etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

good luck to all the people taking the test in rathgar... i really hope these stats are not accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I wonder if they switched the testers around would there be any difference!!
    Ooh good luck Captain...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

greenie wrote: »
    I wonder if they switched the testers around would there be any difference!!
    Ooh good luck Captain...;)

that's a good theory. imagine if all the horrible testers are brought in one testing center :cool:

Just looking at the pass rates in Dublin.......I was under the presumption that the ADI scheme was to improve the quality of teaching/instructing to learners.........and over a year into it.....the pass rates are crap, worse than they ever were,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Failed twice two years ago in Rathgar. Pass rate was around 50% then. Couldn't blame the tester or my instructor. I was usually a good driver but on both days went panic got to my nerves.

Now will be doing a test in Raheny. The latest pass rate is not the best but good lord I hope I will pass this time. Otherwise I might give up driving and learn to pilot a plane or submarine to work!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

driverite wrote: »
    Just looking at the pass rates in Dublin.......I was under the presumption that the ADI scheme was to improve the quality of teaching/instructing to learners.........and over a year into it.....the pass rates are crap, worse than they ever were,

Nowhere does it say though, whether people bothered getting a course of lessons with an ADI. I know many people who just showed up for a test having had one or two 'pre-test' lessons - they failed, unsurprisingly, although almost all of them considered themselves 'good' drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

spurious wrote: »
    I know many people who just showed up for a test having had one or two 'pre-test' lessons - they failed, unsurprisingly, although almost all of them considered themselves 'good' drivers.

We all good drivers have bad habits. Baddddd habits. :D

My point is that is isnt the fault of the instructors. They went and and paid to do there 3 stages of exams. So there are other factors in play.....The Test....maybe its time to start it again as the current one isnt suceeding for example.....on a permit you are not allowed to drive on a motorway, But pass your test your allowed to travel on a motorway with no instruction at all. doesnt make sense to me.

The Dva in northern ireland actually gives the test routes on there website.
    http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/practicaldrivingtest/testroutes.asp

They give the percentages of the reasons people fail etc etc.
    http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/uploads/practicaltest/Top10faults.pdf

SGS had the facility to do that, But the RSA dont because its pen and paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

me thinks when the time comes I'll be doing my test in sligo or athlone... I wonder if I ask nicely will my instructor bring me there lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Convinent. The RSA lose money as a result of the economic crisis,less people can afford to start driving so they fail those who can. Simple Economics therefore they fail more people and earn more through getting more people repeating the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ps3man wrote: »
    Convinent. The RSA lose money as a result of the economic crisis,less people can afford to start driving so they fail those who can. Simple Economics therefore they fail more people and earn more through getting more people repeating the test.

Except the full cost of each driving test is €120, so the €75 is still not covering the full cost. That and the most recent increase was the first since 1992. It was a long time coming imo. As a money making racket, it fails miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Except the full cost of each driving test is €120, so the €75 is still not covering the full cost. That and the most recent increase was the first since 1992. It was a long time coming imo. As a money making racket, it fails miserably.

I'm going to accept i was put in my place but how does it cost 120 per test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I'd say there's a likely correlation between lower pass rates and people spending (having less money to spend) on lessons. I think similar trend was noted in UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Those pass-rates for Sligo (67.1%) are VERY suspicious!

Not that I'm bitter given I failed my first test last December.. but they seem abnormally high given that earlier in the year, Carrick (now 59.1%) was a fair bit higher than Sligo as I know people who scheduled there because of this.

Advertisement