Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cube Trek or Lapierre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

I got the Trek 1.5 about 3 weeks ago. Used to cycle a mountain bike with slicks.
    The difference is remarkable.
    Can't fault it yet.
    I was also deciding between the Trek & Peloton, and what swung it for me was full length mudguards fit the Trek, not so the Peloton. (Great for commuting)
    Other than that, I can't see there's much of a difference.
    In the end, it's about what takes your fancy, and if you think you'll get a good aftersales service from the retailer.
    Robert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TheToecutter

The Lapierre is approved on the list...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The Lapierre is approved on the list...

Which list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TheToecutter

Euro rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭boomdocker

i have an 08 cube peloton, cracking bike, especially starting out. very comfortable position, well specced.

used it myself in triathlon, as with any 'touring' road bike you will struggle to get a proper aero position with clip on's, but as a road bike its fine

and the cubes look great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 WellTed

Thanks for the comments on the cube and trek,

However like the look of the Lapierre and the guys in cyclesuperstore, suggesting it was the one he'd go for in that range of bike. Due to the better chain set and the better frame.

However its 200e more than the cube and 130e more than the trek is it worth spending the extra money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭Russman

CSS do tend to push Lapierre for some reason (they may well be right, I don't know) but they also usually have scope to knock 10%-12.5% off the price. When I was looking for a bike a few months ago the discount was offered before I'd even begun to discuss price. If you're set on the Lapierre see what you can haggle them down to.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissednbroke

Bought a trek 1.5 recently and find it very good, cycle to work on it and also do longer cycles up to 100k its quite comfortable and decent components for the price too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Russman wrote: »
    CSS do tend to push Lapierre for some reason (they may well be right, I don't know) but they also usually have scope to knock 10%-12.5% off the price. When I was looking for a bike a few months ago the discount was offered before I'd even begun to discuss price. If you're set on the Lapierre see what you can haggle them down to.

They don't just stock Lapierre they are the Irish distributor so that helps explain why they tend to try and sell the Lapierres over other models. Maybe to keep the distribution license they have to keep sales up, I don't know they ins and outs of bike sales so that is purely a guess.

Anyway, they are lovely bikes but they tend to be hugely overpriced for the standard of kit on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

anyone have any views on the cube spec verus the trek 1.5 spec?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Those three bikes are all very similar in spec. So best try them out and see which you prefer actually riding.

The major difference is in the chainsets- not so much the quality (although the Lapierre is integrated spindle while the others are not) but more that the Trek is a compact 50/34 while the Cube is a triple and the Lapierre is listed as a double but has a triple in the photo. This affects your gears available. The Lapierre is also listed as having a 13T small sprocket at the back which would put a slight cap on top speed but this could also be a typo and in any case is relatively easily changed.

Bear in mind that white bikes are a bitch to keep clean.

yeah i know white seems a bastard to clean, but seems be way for most bikes i look at lol. Thanks for your help blorg. By the way is the triple chainset useful, or is it a bit a fuax pas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭sgriffin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

You're better off with a compact than a triple. You don't need 27 or 30 gear ratios and the 18 or 20 with a compact double will be ample and will cover the same range as a triple.

that focus is hot, im limited to biannchi, giant, trek or cube in terms of bike to work scheme so looking at those as my choice.

I think most people will be OK on a compact although I would generally want a 27T on the back with one. A triple effectively gives you one extra gear each end at the cost of slightly worse shifting quality and chance of chain derailment. And the aesthetics. If you are not racing a triple is certainly worth considering although as I say a compact will do for most.

thanks for all advice guys i know basics so taking on board your thoughts, but as you saw should be easy to change triple back down to dual no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Not too tricky but will require a new front dérailleur, a new chainset and bottom bracket plus the tools and then some tweaking. Save the hassle and get the best bike for your needs first. The best later upgrade will be a new set of wheels and then join everyone else in that contagious disease of upgraditis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

sgriffin wrote: »
    There's a compact version for the same money.

manafana wrote: »
    thanks for all advice guys i know basics so taking on board your thoughts, but as you saw should be easy to change triple back down to dual no?
    No, it is not easy at all. Besides what ashleey lists you may also need new shifters which are very expensive. Some of the shifters will do both double and triple but others are specific for one or the other. You are certainly better off deciding which one you want now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭farmerval

The Focus Variado is down to €735 ish in Wiggle's sale right now.:)

at that price its nearly same as getting it on high st under bike 2work very tempting.

Advertisement