Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog walking in tullow

Options
  • 18-03-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering would it be a good idea for me and a friend to start up a dog walking service in Tullow because We are trying to save up for college, so we decided to collaborate. We're in sixth year. Would there be any draw backs in this and what rate should we use?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

first find out if theres any competition, then if theres not much, order business cards on Vistaprint (dirt cheap, usually you'll get 250 free) and put them in the vets and pet shops.

Id strongly suggest you both take a trip to Dog Training Ireland in Dublin, they run canine first aid courses on Saturdays (actually do this first so you can put it on your business card).

Next, go to areas where people walk their dogs on Saturdays and Sundays (parks, forests, etc.) and hand your business card to each person walking their dog. Chances are they're walking their dog loads on the weekend because they feel guilty for not walking them enough during the week.

I used to charge €15 for a 1hour walk, so see how that goes. Some charge €10 though.

Next, do you have a sufficent vehicle to transport dogs in? You have to have them strapped in by law, and should use a harness in case you crash (attaching the dog by its collar can snap its neck in a crash).

You should also do pet sitting in the dogs house (visit the pets 2-3 times per day). Lots of dog owners dont like kennels and chances are there's not much of an alternative in Tullow.

Be aware though that most people will want their dog walked between 11.30 and 3 so you should be prepaired for that.

Its probably not the best idea to only run the business for 4 or 5 months because itll take that long to get set up and by that stage the dogs and owners will be dependent on you!!!

Best of luck!!

Advertisement