Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External harddrive

• 18-03-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭

Okay so my dad has alot of pictures and he wants to back them up in case the laptop hes using to store them on dies as its quite old and seems to be on its last legs. The problem is the printer he uses to print them will only work with xp so getting a new one at the moment isnt really an option.
    Anyway looking for advice on external harddrive/media devices? Ive seen ones that you can connect to a tv and simply play folders as a slideshow are these any good/reliable? What are the best brands?
    Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Multi Media Players (can connect to tv) I've heard of problems with Iomega ones, but Western Digital appear t be a good brand.
    MMP's are a lot more expensive than external hard drives. Maybe twice the price or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Not a multimedia external HDD, but if you decide to get a standard external HDD I would recommend this one: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=502548 (if you are looking for something as big as a 1TB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You can get an awful lot of pictures on a CDR, let alone a DVDR. Find a friend with a burner, network PC's, share folder, burn disc. Most DVD players can show JPG images. I just bought an external 320GB drive for < 50 euro, and you can get a DVDRW for < 20 these days. USB flash drive/memory stick. Lots of options......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You can get an awful lot of pictures on a CDR, let alone a DVDR.

all depends on camera and file type. I've over a tera of photos, thats alot of dvds, let alone cdrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Took advice and went for simple Western Digital HD cheers for the help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

I hadn't wanted to come in and pimp anything we sell, but I'm using a WD 1tb myself and it's been good to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I hadn't wanted to come in and pimp anything we sell, but I'm using a WD 1tb myself and it's been good to me :)
    Its ok: we know you're a little partial :D

I use 2 Western Digital externals and havent had a problem with either. They also do the WDTV module - It can dock with Any External Drive via USB if I recall correctly, and hooks up to the TV with a remote and all.
    all depends on camera and file type. I've over a tera of photos, thats alot of dvds, let alone cdrs
    So says the mod of a Photography forum!

You're in the market for a Blu-Ray Burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Hi Marc,

I'm looking for a 1tb external hard drive myself to back up a load of files on my laptop. What is a decent reliable one? As it is a back up, it won't be used regularly, but when I do go to use it, I'll need to know it works!

And yes, price is important!

Would you recommend this one?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

Hey Tester, I don't want to derail the topic, but I'm using the Elements 1TB myself and it's been good to me, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has any recommendations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Packard Bell Carbon 1TB.

Quiet, cheap, sleek, low wattage in standby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

but I'm using the Elements 1TB myself and it's been good to me,

+1 for the WD Elements. i've got a lot of backup files on this. i've had it about two years and still working. as long as you don't move it around too much (unless it's the passport type), the external drive should last a long time.
    just to say that aldi have a 1TB medion hard drive available tomorrow at €80
    http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_12413.htm
    good value, methinks

Advertisement