Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environmental Science Masters

Options
  • 18-03-2010 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I have applied for the Environmental Science masters, has anyone any experience of that course?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Bluemoney wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I have applied for the Environmental Science masters, has anyone any experience of that course?

Any help would be great.

I applied for this masters last year, I didn't even get told if I got it or not! In Trinity now doing Environmental Science.
    Anyway, a friend of mine did get it, and his experience is that it's pretty hands on and you're thrown in with a mixture of classes. His class had to take some engineering modules etc... air quality, hydrology and the likes. We don't do air quality in Trinity but I can almost guarantee that you'll be doing environmental chemical analysis (ICP-OES, XRF, XRD, TOC, DOC, BOD/COD etc...). You'll probably have to do stats, so that's work with R or SPSS. You'll definitely have hydrology and groundwater quality to do. Probably some GIS I'd imagine. Again, these are fairly generic topics that any course worth its salt will cover. Get yourself a pair of hiking boots, waders, a scientific calculator and a lab coat. If you've no chemistry background, start reading "Chemistry for Dummies". Hope that helps.

Oh support the Environmental Science subforum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluemoney

Thanks, I was going to apply for trinity but havent done so far. Is trinity hard to get into? Im not sure if I could get in as I have a lower second class degree.

Thanks, I was going to apply for trinity but havent done so far. Is trinity hard to get into? Im not sure if I could get in as I have a lower second class degree.

It depends, have you work experience or that (voluntary or paid)? What did you do your degree in? I got in but I did a BA in Geography, so not a science background at all. If you show interest etc... on your application then you never know. Like don't say "I love trees and nature and shit", if you were really specific, like stuff you'd like to research "I would like to examine the possibilities of Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs) on DOC concentrations in streams of upland peat bogs in Wicklow" then they'd like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluemoney

Ye I have a degree in Environmental Health and I have worked in an environmental consultacy and as a Stuent EHO. Also focused on water quality for my thesis. I might try and apply, no harm in that.

Ye I have a degree in Environmental Health and I have worked in an environmental consultacy and as a Stuent EHO. Also focused on water quality for my thesis. I might try and apply, no harm in that.

Oh definitely apply, that's brilliant experience, they'd love that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement