Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Edge Sports Cycle Race, Sun 21st March, Carrigaline, Cork

• 18-03-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

In response to the question posed by "rubs" here, I just came across a leaflet I got at the Lacey Cup a few weeks ago about this race. Not much info to be found elsewhere on the web as far as I can see so I scanned it in an attached it below. Hopefully this helps someone, best of luck to anyone racing in it! ;)

To summarise (its a big file, sorry!):

RACE DATE: 21st March 2010

SIGN ON FROM: 11.45 @ Butlers Bar (& Race Car Park)

RACE START TIME: 1pm

RACE START LOCATION: Minane Bridge, 3 miles south of Carrigaline

CONTACT: Tim Barry or The Edge Sports Shop (see attachment for phone numbers, I left them out here so they guys don't get fake calls!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rubs

Thanks for that.:)

Hi all,

Just text the guy on the flyer and he gave the following info.

Race Distance - 50 miles

Handicapped start - A4 +6, A3 +3, A2 0

There are no A1 riders in the race.

Race start is 13:00

Course looks okay on google maps but they always do;). Anybody got first hand experience of the route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

rubs wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just text the guy on the flyer and he gave the following info.

Race Distance - 50 miles

Handicapped start - A4 +6, A3 +3, A2 0

There are no A1 riders in the race.

Race start is 13:00

Course looks okay on google maps but they always do;). Anybody got first hand experience of the route?

Hi rubs, what's the route / course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

It's all hills around Minane Bridge...

Having a bit of trouble getting to upload map but basically its 6 laps with one big hill and a long drag on each circuit.....the chap from "edge" described in his best sean kelly impersonation as ..."undulating":eek:

Sounds ominous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 trek4400

The roads are not the best on this route unfortunetly, a lot of patchwork road repairs, but good luck to all racing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 trek4400

Section of road between Ballyfeard and Nohoval + 1/2 mile the roughest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Wow. What a course. Gruelling. There is no way it should have been handicapped. If the new A4 group was introduced to encourage cyclist into racing, todays course shoudl have had a seperate A4 race and 4 laps would have been plenty. The A+ & A1s would've loved the course.

That was a tough circuit, no question. It was a nice size A4 group but the handicap meant nothing really, caught in no time at all. I agree with "shapez" above....the A4`s got very little out of that, especially the newbies, only a right roasting. A seperate race would have been ideal over a shorter course. Oh well, always next time:)

More 'War of Attrition' than bicycle race... I went off with A4 bunch wasn't caught until 2nd lap, stayed with the front group for a lap or so, very very tough race. It's stupid really, because it reflects very badly on them for future races, no one will turn up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

From reading all the various reports on here over the last few weeks it would appear that the A4s are being better catered for up the country than they are down south. They seem to have their own race every week.

The race was a shambles it was a course built for really strong A2s at least there were no A1 but the A4 never get there own race as CI said they would its a joke. I know based on the carnage the course was way too hard the quality of the roads were not the best. There was no such thing as a group just small numbers of cyclists all over the road in the end he won by four mins over the others. For me if its the same course next year i will be training instead.

You and everyone else. :)

The race was a shambles it was a course built for really strong A2s at least there were no A1 but the A4 never get there own race as CI said they would its a joke. I know based on the carnage the course was way too hard the quality of the roads were not the best. There was no such thing as a group just small numbers of cyclists all over the road in the end he won by four mins over the others. For me if its the same course next year i will be training instead.

+1. I agree. Whilst I do give credit to the Edge Sports Shop for organisation, good marshaling, etc. The general feedback from A4's & A3's is not good and they should take this on board. The course was very well marshaled and could easily have accommodated 3 maybe 4 separate races. Yes it was a very tough course but in separate races, the bunches very much tend to stay together rather than bodies been shelled all over the course when A3's & A2's arrive.

And, on another note in general, what is the story with the majority of cycle races organised across the country not having adequate changing, toilet and shower facilities? We sweat as much if not more than rugby players.

Note to Edge Sports. Aim for 3/4 separate races next year. A4 race - 4 laps. A3 race - 5/6 laps. A2 race - 6 laps. And if you fancy inviting A1's, they'll love you for such a hard course. If feedback is not taken on board, expect your numbers to be very low next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chimayland

I did not make it to this race but by the sounds of it just as well. A4 riders not being catered for in a lot of races. 60km max distance allowed and to be a separate race.

I don't see the results of the Edge Sports Shop race anywhere. Does anyone know them?

Edge Sports local chap won it by about 4 mins ahead of Andrew Ahearne from Dan Morrissey Carrick Wheelers.

1st Timmy Barry (The Edge CC) (the race organiser.....)
    2nd Andrew Ahern (Dan Morrisey Carrick CC)
    3rd Michael O'Reilly (The Edge CC)
    4th
    5th Niall Brosnan (The Edge CC)

Only about 30 finished from a sign-on of 102...say no more....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Chimayland wrote: »
    I did not make it to this race but by the sounds of it just as well. A4 riders not being catered for in a lot of races. 60km max distance allowed and to be a separate race.
    80km is the max for A4. Separate races are recommended but certainly on a flatter course the A4s can stay away in a handicap if they work together (which generally, they don't.) Maybe even a hilly one part of the A4 group could stay away if not all. There have been plenty of A4-only races up in Leinster and in 2 of 3 handicaps I have been in A4s have made it into the placings even when caught.

To be honest looking at the carnage in Bohermeen I'm not sure "keeping it all together" is such a plus point, I would prefer a race that breaks up than one that has a massive bunch sprint for the line at the end.

If anything there aren't enough hilly courses in Irish racing.

blorg wrote: »
    80km is the max for A4. Separate races are recommended but certainly on a flatter course the A4s can stay away in a handicap if they work together (which generally, they don't.) Maybe even a hilly one part of the A4 group could stay away if not all. There have been plenty of A4-only races up in Leinster and in 2 of 3 handicaps I have been in A4s have made it into the placings even when caught.

To be honest looking at the carnage in Bohermeen I'm not sure "keeping it all together" is such a plus point, I would prefer a race that breaks up than one that has a massive bunch sprint for the line at the end.

I agree with your view on hilly courses.

The A4 race was 90km, so was outside the guidelines.

Even so, they should be catered for properly at each racing level.

Since when was cycling supposed to be easy?:P
    But yeah, seperate races might have been an idea, the course could certainly have accomadated that. I managed to hang in with the front group till about 1-2 miles out when my legs (and will to live) just went. This front group consisted of only about 15 riders though, which just shows what the attrition rate was like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chimayland

Thanks. Not sure where I got the 60km max for A4 from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

I thought the course was the hardest I have ever seen but I did like it, even though I only got 2 laps with the A3 group. Last week in Banteer was pancake flat so I think everyone has been accomindated over the 2 weeks. As for seperate races, I think for such a hard course they might have been worried that guys would be lapped and groups all over the place. I think a better solution would be a seperate A4 race over 3 or 4 laps that should be finished before the next race begins. That would make things easier for the marshals etc

rochefan wrote: »
    I think a better solution would be a seperate A4 race over 3 or 4 laps that should be finished before the next race begins. That would make things easier for the marshals etc
    That was what they did in Newbridge; A4 race was scheduled before A3/A2/A1. The only drawback to that is the A4 race ended up very short. A3 race could have been longer too for that matter.

To be honest there is no such thing as a "hard" course in road racing, only ones suited to different types of rider. Where one rider sees difficulty another sees opportunity. A hilly course arguably would work better with separate races though.

To be honest there is no such thing as a "hard" course in road racing, only ones suited to different types of rider.

I'd have to disagree with you on that one blorg. On a flat course, if someone isn't feeling particularly strong, they can just sit in a sheltered position in the bunch expending relatively little energy. On a climb, that is not an option, either you really grit your teeth and put in the effort to get over it, or you get dropped, which is precisely what happened to a lot of people on Sunday, and many of the guys that were getting dropped were no slouches, among them was one of my clubmates who won the a3 race in Carrick on Paddy's day.

I'd have to disagree with you on that one blorg. On a flat course, if someone isn't feeling particularly strong, they can just sit in a sheltered position in the bunch expending relatively little energy. On a climb, that is not an option, either you really grit your teeth and put in the effort to get over it, or you get dropped, which is precisely what happened to a lot of people on Sunday, and many of the guys that were getting dropped were no slouches, among them was one of my clubmates who won the a3 race in Carrick on Paddy's day.
    I don't see what the downside of this is? People get dropped, the race breaks up, makes things more interesting, arguably safer, and gives opportunities for a breakaway.

The more people that get dropped the better frankly.

What chance does a pan-flat course give the a light climber type?

It is a race, don't really see the point of sitting in a big bunch just trying to conserve energy... If you aren't feeling particularly strong and you get dropped don't see what the complaint is. Another day you will feel stronger and be in contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I tend to have no sympathy, even for my club mate Shapez in this instance. Sorry Shapez. Ultimately, it was advertised as a handicap race, a quick check of the profile would have made it very clear what kind of race this was. I think we need more races like this one (not handicap races, tough races). For easy racing Boheermeen, was on the same day and it's practically impossible to get dropped up there as long as you keep yourself upright.

Some races are just tougher. Its the same in the A1 cat where you have races like Ras Mumhan and Shay Elliot and non-climbers need not apply. If every race was a pan flat borefest then only the sprinters would get to have fun ! For the record, it was the descents that put me off this one rather than the climbs.

More than anything though, it is a large undertaking to run a race, most people don't appreciate the effort and indeed cost that goes into it. Maybe the Edge misjudged the handicap this year and thats fair enough, it is their first year of existence and I am sure they won't next year. However lets not discourage them from running any more races ! We need more race promoters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's a bit of a bugbear of mine but why were there so many DNF's ??

If all the dropped riders kept going larger 2nd and 3rd bunches would form and allow more training and experience racing and riding in groups.
    It seems that as soon as some one is dropped they finish the lap then pack.

I find it hard to see why 90/120 packed TBH.

Speaking of bugbears....why is it so difficult for race organisers to put up proper info regarding races!!!...its not that hard...I normally find out most info from this website or other forums!!...

...also, in favour of tough hilly races, once its a level playing field, i.e. a4`s againt a4`s...and so on...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

rubs wrote: »
    Speaking of bugbears....why is it so difficult for race organisers to put up proper info regarding races!!!...its not that hard...I normally find out most info from this website or other forums!!...

+1

Turned up for the Robinstown GP 3 years in a row to ride the advertised 50k V/C/J/W race only to be told on the line that it was now a 100k handicap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

RobFowl wrote: »
    It's a bit of a bugbear of mine but why were there so many DNF's ??

If all the dropped riders kept going larger 2nd and 3rd bunches would form and allow more training and experience racing and riding in groups.
    It seems that as soon as some one is dropped they finish the lap then pack.

I find it hard to see why 90/120 packed TBH.

I was out for a spin with a group somewhere over the north side one Sunday last year before I started racing. Towards the end of the spin we were coming back in towards Finglas and we caught up with some old codger out for a spin on his own.

He tagged on to the back of our group and I got chatting to him about my upcoming first club race. He said to me- "You might get dropped in your first few races, but never pack it in. Always finish the distance!"

I took his advice on board, and have found that not only does it give you the obvious extra miles in the legs, but more importantly: it's extra motivation not to get dropped again. It's a very lonely road out the back!

I found out later on that the guy I was talking to was Rás legend, Sé O'Hanlon.

Advertisement