Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Edge Sports Cycle Race, Sun 21st March, Carrigaline, Cork

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

RobFowl wrote: »
    It's a bit of a bugbear of mine but why were there so many DNF's ??

If all the dropped riders kept going larger 2nd and 3rd bunches would form and allow more training and experience racing and riding in groups.
    It seems that as soon as some one is dropped they finish the lap then pack.

I find it hard to see why 90/120 packed TBH.

Firstly, I entered this race yesterday with my eyes open to what the circuit was like, as I'm not a stong climber, tough day. I started the race in the A4 bunch, again as other races, no one working at the front, so about 6 of us went up the first climb at near threshhold to spilt the bunch.(which worked) When the leaders breakaway caught us I worked hard to try and keep in with them, where I lasted for about 15-20k before blowing. I did 60km out of 90km. Why did I not finish?

The point of racing is competition for places at the end. I gave 100% for the 60km completed, but it was not enough on a very hard circuit. I will have my day in the future hopefully. I could have plodded around for the final 30km, to prove what and to who? Put simply if I wanted to train yesterday, I would have stayed at home and saved the entry fee and the petrol. But yes, 4 laps would have been more than adequate for the A4's.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27632895

Above is the data for my 4 laps(60km). Over 1000m of climbing (1500m if I finished) Click on the elevation, to see the sharp asent and desent's on each lap. This race was certainly much difffernt to all others.

The Lacey Cup in Tralee, which is considered tough, is a walk in the park by comparison.

blorg wrote: »
    I don't see what the downside of this is? People get dropped, the race breaks up, makes things more interesting, arguably safer, and gives opportunities for a breakaway.

The more people that get dropped the better frankly.

What chance does a pan-flat course give the a light climber type?

It is a race, don't really see the point of sitting in a big bunch just trying to conserve energy... If you aren't feeling particularly strong and you get dropped don't see what the complaint is. Another day you will feel stronger and be in contention.

Don't get me wrong, I loved sunday's race and I did better in it (c. 15th place) than I have in many others as I managed to hang with the front group until almost the very end, but there is such a thing as hard courses and easy courses, whether you're a light climby type or big sprinty type, and 90km of hilly racing is harder in anyone's books than 90 km of flat, and is a lot to ask of the a4 bunch, which after all is meant to serve as some kind of introduction to racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Don't get me wrong, I loved sunday's race and I did better in it (c. 15th place) than I have in many others as I managed to hang with the front group until almost the very end, but there is such a thing as hard courses and easy courses, whether you're a light climby type or big sprinty type, and 90km of hilly racing is harder in anyone's books than 90 km of flat, and is a lot to ask of the a4 bunch, which after all is meant to serve as some kind of introduction to racing.
    I wouldn't agree if you are racing it rather than just rolling around in the bunch. A flat course is bloody tough if you are in a breakaway. At least with hills you get a rest when you get over them. A flat course may make it easier for a rider to roll around to the finish with the bunch but it doesn't make it easier for them to place.

I agree with the sentiment that sticking the A4s in a handicap on a hilly course is unlikely to give them a fighting chance.

I wouldn't agree if you are racing it rather than just rolling around in the bunch. A flat course is bloody tough if you are in a breakaway. At least with hills you get a rest when you get over them. A flat course may make it easier for a rider to roll around to the finish with the bunch but it doesn't make it easier for them to place.

I agree with the sentiment that sticking the A4s in a handicap on a hilly course is unlikely to give them a fighting chance.

There was no such thing as rolling in the bunch last Sunday, the course was extremely difficult. At the top of the biggest hill there was a strong headwind coming from the sea, then another hill... The race had 1,500m of climbing, with some nasty percentages.

I agree about places on the flat, that involves some experience and tic-tacs.

• Advertisement

A flat course is bloody tough if you are in a breakaway.

Certainly agree with that, I was in the break in Banteer and it was very tough going. I think the reason Sunday was so tough was the duration of the race. Because the hills reduced the avg speed, the race lasted closer to 3 hours than the approx 2 hours in Banteer, even though the distance wasn't that much greater, and this undoubtedly made it a more gruelling experience. You really need to see that circuit to appreciate how very very hard it was, it was much tougher than it looks on paper. There was a draggy section after the big climb where there was a tailwind and it was absolute hell trying to survive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

So the race was too tough for you and it's the organisers fault?

It was pretty clear what kind of profile this race had. As Quigs said, if you wanted a panflat A4 race then you could have gone to Bohermeen.

Getting the **** kicked out of you is part and parcel of bike racing, whether you're an A+, A1, A2, A3 or A4.

The same riders who were doing all the riding in this race will be getting an absolute kicking in Rás Mumhan over the Easter weekend, but they won't be complaining about it. The will however ride hard, finish the distance and hone their form for race more suited to their strengths next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

It was pretty clear what kind of profile this race had. As Quigs said, if you wanted a panflat A4 race then you could have gone to Bohermeen.

Getting the **** kicked out of you is part and parcel of bike racing, whether you're an A+, A1, A2, A3 or A4.

The same riders who were doing all the riding in this race will be getting an absolute kicking in Rás Mumhan over the Easter weekend, but they won't be complaining about it. The will however ride hard, finish the distance and hone their form for race more suited to their strengths next month.

I'm all for tough cycling races. But on the same level as whom I race against. For example, a separate A4 race over 4 laps in Cork last weekend would have been more than adequate. Even a separate A3 race would be ideal over 5 laps. And then the A+, A1 & A2's could easily have done the 6 laps. Even though some A2's whom I spoke with also found it grueling. Sure each group will have people who will definitely get dropped, but at least it won't be as quickly if you are competing against a faster group that is about to catch you.

As a matter of interest. Have you raced the course? Because I notice that the ("you got you ar*e kicked, tough", "you should've known before you went", "if you didn't want hills, why'd you go", etc) replies to posts here are from people who weren't in Cork last weekend to witness it first hand.

I'm voicing my opinion on a new race that entered the calender. I'm not complaining about it's organisation or people who ran it. I thought it was run very well. I am merely stating that due to the extreme difficultly of the course it would have been better all round for separate races on it. And because it was very well marshalled, that could have easily been accomplished.

I'm familiar with the area, it's hilly enough.

Your point is valid. If you want A4 only races then fair enough. I just think it's not a very good attitude to have. Keep in mind that the new A4 category is still in it's infancy (promoters are still trying to figure it out) but is FAR more accessible than the old system - so don't your clubmates hear you giving out, they would have had it a hell of a lot tougher!

The race organisers did a fantastic job, the race was very well organised, and exceptionally well marshalled. Also, personally I really liked the course, I have no problem suffering and I finished well, but I just felt sorry for the A4s that were getting lapped by a group of A3s and A2s that were going much faster than them. It must have been very disheartening and it doesn't seem fair to expect them to keep up with A2 level riders on such a tough circuit.

Our club league race last summer used a hilly circuit for a while and the numbers got smaller each week. As much as I would like to tell people to HTFU and whatnot, watching the race disappear up the road to be left struggling on your own is not most people's idea of a good race, and they will be less inclined to continue to compete, and turning newcomers off racing is not good for the sport.

So in summary, great race, great course but seperate races might be a better idea for next year.

• Advertisement

The race organisers did a fantastic job, the race was very well organised, and exceptionally well marshalled. Also, personally I really liked the course, I have no problem suffering and I finished well, but I just felt sorry for the A4s that were getting lapped by a group of A3s and A2s that were going much faster than them. It must have been very disheartening and it doesn't seem fair to expect them to keep up with A2 level riders on such a tough circuit.

Our club league race last summer used a hilly circuit for a while and the numbers got smaller each week. As much as I would like to tell people to HTFU and whatnot, watching the race disappear up the road to be left struggling on your own is not most people's idea of a good race, and they will be less inclined to continue to compete, and turning newcomers off racing is not good for the sport.

So in summary, great race, great course but seperate races might be a better idea for next year.

Now that I've the feeling back in my legs, definatly agree with JamesL85. Great race in a funny and kind of painful way, but would I do it again? Yes, bring on next year... something to train for and test your legs early in the season!

jdt101 wrote: »
    Now that I've the feeling back in my legs, definatly agree with JamesL85. Great race in a funny and kind of painful way, but would I do it again? Yes, bring on next year... something to train for and test your legs early in the season!

That's the way to look at it!

I'd be almost certain there'll be seperate races next year. With the Classic League on in Donegal they weren't able to include A1s which probably messed them around a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Aye it is better to have dedicated races, although the classic league race in Donegal may have indeed put a spanner in the works there. Another thing to consider is that it costs money to put on a race, separate races = separate prizes and that kind of money can add up pretty quickly. Having a handicap race helps keep the cost down. If thats the case then I am all for it, better to have a handicap race rather than no race.

I think maybe some of us who have been around before are far more pragmatic about this A4 thing. In previous years there were 3 or 4 C races a year the rest were combined where you were up against juniors and vets who were winning A races every other weekend and stages of big races etc... So we are conditioned to not expect to be catered for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RickyBobby658

This is for everyone who complained about the circuit set out on Sunday. This is BIKE RACING! Its not easy! (Nor is it supposed to be!) The race on Sunday was one of the best, if not the best organised race of the season so far. Plenty of marshals, no oncoming traffic, and free bottles and recovery drink at sign on. Sure it was a tough course but thats why we train! Just because your not strong enough to stay with the group is not an excuse to bemoan the structure and the organisation of a fantastic race. Nut up or shut up is what I say, and I must completely disagree with Crashoveroids version of events. This has the potential to be one of the best races in the calender but complaining about the course could ruin this extremely well run event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Aye it is better to have dedicated races, although the classic league race in Donegal may have indeed put a spanner in the works there. Another thing to consider is that it costs money to put on a race, separate races = separate prizes and that kind of money can add up pretty quickly. Having a handicap race helps keep the cost down. If thats the case then I am all for it, better to have a handicap race rather than no race.

I think maybe some of us who have been around before are far more pragmatic about this A4 thing. In previous years there were 3 or 4 C races a year the rest were combined where you were up against juniors and vets who were winning A races every other weekend and stages of big races etc... So we are conditioned to not expect to be catered for.
    I'd have agreed with you a couple of years ago when numbers were down, but with the numbers that are showing up nowadays money shouldn't be tight

Its a good point alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

What a bunch of whingers!

Sell your bikes because bike racing is not for you. Seriously adult men looking for 18-24 mile races? 3-4 laps???

An A4 rider got in the placings, 9th?
    A3's were 6,th,7th,8th and 10th.

It's the start of the season and a new system, you will get tougher races on weekends, when classic events are on. Timmy Barry and Michael O'Reilly are both ex international riders who didn't race last year so are A2 now but will soon be A1's. So in a few weeks they'll be out of these races.
    Most days of the week, in most races guys like this will toast you. No big deal.

Whats the point of finishing a race?
    The next race, the race after that,the summer races, everything you get in your legs now will be there later. Pains in your legs until wednesday? thats bike racing.

I hope to be in the Ras Muhann, but expect to take a beating every stage, But if i don't start mixing it now i won't be able to really race later in the year.

As an A4/A3 you should be happy to get 20 or 30 miles with an A2 bunch into your legs, no training can beat it and during the summer when your spinning big gears and hurting more than you thought you ever could it'll be because of what you did in March and April.

Thats the spirit BryanL. There was an A4 in 8th place. A teammate of mine. Good luck down in Ras Mumhan, its a shocker, been there the last couple of years in various capacities so its also my favourite race, everyone gets a kicking down there. Its kind of the point as you say !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,106 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This thread has more exciting attacks than the A4 races I've been in around Dublin.

You rebel types scare me.

Advertisement