Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mountain Bike Stolen @ Milltown Luas Stop

• 18-03-2010 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

My run of the mill mountain bike (cost around €200) was stolen today from the Luas Stop @ Milltown. Left it there this morning @ 8.30am and came back 5.45pm and it was gone, lock included. First time ever leaving it there too!!!

The bike had two quick release wheels, had the lock chained to the back tyre and the mainframe and the bike rack too.

Quite annoying to be honest. Have to go get a new bike as need one to get around, it will probably be stolen from there again.

:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

can you post a pic of bike? Also what was it locked with?

Sorry for your loss man, sucks big time. give us details of bike, as many as poss, and will keep eyes open and let others know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

You should contact the Luas people asap- I think Veolia is the operator, but you'll find details on the Luas website anyway. Every platform has CCTV, so there's a very good chance the theft was recorded. But like I say, the sooner the better, as I don't know how long they keep the footage.

(This presumes the bike rack is on the platform, but even if it's not, it'd be worth checking with them as the camera coverage might go beyond the platform.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Cheers lads for your replies, I phoned the Gardai - not much they can do I guess.

Yeh it was locked to the bike rack on the platform.

It wasn't an expensive bike as bikes go and I got a year out of it so not too bad I guess. Just annoying when it happens to you - was hoping I'd see them on my walk home.

The lock was not a good lock in fairness and I have had to cut a couple of bigger locks before and they snap easy with a bolt cutters.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3333217/Trail/searchtext%3EBIKE+LOCK.htm

The bike is below, think it was around €200 when I bought it.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/LargeImage.aspx?ModelID=23291

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

The bike costs as much as a good lock...

Still, the scumbag should be dragged out on the street and shot.

I'll keep an eye out for it but the bike isn't too distinctive so even if spotted it'd be hard to prove unless you have the serial number.

I'm prolly telling you things you already know but that lock wouldnt withstand a pair of scissors, let alone bolt crops..

get onto them about the CCTV, its worth it...

• Advertisement

SubLuminal wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye out for it but the bike isn't too distinctive so even if spotted it'd be hard to prove unless you have the serial number.

I'm prolly telling you things you already know but that lock wouldnt withstand a pair of scissors, let alone bolt crops..

get onto them about the CCTV, its worth it...

Lol your right about the lock.

Will chase up the CCTV - it's worth a try.

Is there any good locks for around €35 ?

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Is there any good locks for around €35 ?

Yes - I got mine in rothar (www.rothar.ie) (I'm starting to sound like a bleedin' advertisment for the place now, but I did get mine there so..) and it was €35. Its a big chunky solid BBB chain, I'd say it'd be a bitch to get through, no chain is impossible to break i'm told, which makes the name of the gain making your bike more of a pain in the hole to nick than the ones parked near it - so I use one big heavy chain as mentioned above and one or two Ulocks to lock the wheels to the frame and whatever else I can. They have pretty hardcore u-locks in the same place for 25. They're really nice guys in there, if you drop in for a chat they'll help you out and will definitely be able to sort you a decent bike for WAY less than the €250 you were talking about on the other thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

SubLuminal wrote: »
    ... They have pretty hardcore u-locks in the same place for 25. ...
    Doubt it. Cheap, strong, mutually exclusive.
    Kryptonite FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

i got a kryptonite evolution mini on amazon for 30 euro, you can get the bigger one for the same price, type in kryptonite lock in amazon, you'd have to be exceptionally talented to get through it with out bringing the railing with ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

kenmc wrote: »
    Doubt it. Cheap, strong, mutually exclusive.
    Kryptonite FTW.

What he said

• Advertisement

Golfanatic wrote: »
    i got a kryptonite evolution mini on amazon for 30 euro, you can get the bigger one for the same price

what he said

;)

So something like the first lock on the below page would be a good option?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dsports&field-keywords=kryptonite+lock+mini&x=0&y=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dsports&field-keywords=kryptonite+lock+mini&x=0&y=0

The orange Evolution Mini is a little less strong but cheaper and more practical (lighter and frame mountable) compared to the New York Fahgettaboudit Mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Had a bike stolen from the OMNI shopping centre bike rack on the Swords Rd, Santry last September. Two locks on it. Robbery caught on CCTV; a group of young lads, one of whom followed me into the centre to make sure I wasn't returning quickly. Called Guards immediately and went to station in Santry to report it. CCTV footage apparently (sent to police) showed them in school uniforms etc. but no clear images of their faces although one had flaming red hair. Followed up repeatedely with guards (the bike was worth €600). To cut a long story short...delaying tactics by guards every time I called "we are conducting our investigation etc" and an eventual letter to that effect. Result 7 months later...nothing. If they had given me the footage I would have gone to the local schools, shown the head teacher and gotten some satisfaction within a few days. The guards are incompetent when it comes to petty crime (and I know a fair few of them who'd admit it). The scumbags knicking bikes might go onto bigger things. My new bike now has three locks on it including a very sturdy D - lock and even then I never feel 100% secure.

setanta159 wrote: »
    Had a bike stolen from the OMNI shopping centre bike rack on the Swords Rd, Santry last September. Two locks on it. Robbery caught on CCTV; a group of young lads, one of whom followed me into the centre to make sure I wasn't returning quickly. Called Guards immediately and went to station in Santry to report it. CCTV footage apparently (sent to police) showed them in school uniforms etc. but no clear images of their faces although one had flaming red hair. Followed up repeatedely with guards (the bike was worth €600). To cut a long story short...delaying tactics by guards every time I called "we are conducting our investigation etc" and an eventual letter to that effect. Result 7 months later...nothing. If they had given me the footage I would have gone to the local schools, shown the head teacher and gotten some satisfaction within a few days. The guards are incompetent when it comes to petty crime (and I know a fair few of them who'd admit it). The scumbags knicking bikes might go onto bigger things. My new bike now has three locks on it including a very sturdy D - lock and even then I never feel 100% secure.

Sick mate, yeh your right about getting the CCTV footage and heading up to the local schools, you can be sure those in the school would have known the pupils.

The thing is the Gardai have no interest in chasing after a stolen bike, they would rather sit in the station reading the paper, having a laugh then going after someones bike.

As regards to the scum who took your bike and anyones bike for that matter, they would only get a caution or a fine, the best thing for these people is a serious hiding so that they think twice about doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I bought the Faghetaboutit mini just recently. Seriously heavy but fits nicely into the rack bag...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Seriously heavy but fits nicely into the rack bag...

Was wondering about Kryptonite that lock myself - is that a small u-lock or a big padlock? As in do you lock the bike with it, or secure a cable lock with it?

Cos I though cable locks in general were sh!te so the best padlock in the world makes no difference if they can just cut through the cable without much hassle?

Sorry to go off topic by the way, but I feel for the OP and am sickened by the thought of these scumbags and my own bike being stolen...

I already have one of these as my everyday lock (secure parking at work and at home so only gets locked at gym, which is pretty secure too anyway), but have also invested in one of these for the days I need to leave it anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

My run of the mill mountain bike (cost around €200) was stolen today from the Luas Stop @ Milltown. Left it there this morning @ 8.30am and came back 5.45pm and it was gone, lock included. First time ever leaving it there too!!!

The bike had two quick release wheels, had the lock chained to the back tyre and the mainframe and the bike rack too.

Quite annoying to be honest. Have to go get a new bike as need one to get around, it will probably be stolen from there again.

:(
    Bummer - my sympathies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Golfanatic wrote: »
    i got a kryptonite evolution mini on amazon for 30 euro, you can get the bigger one for the same price, type in kryptonite lock in amazon, you'd have to be exceptionally talented to get through it with out bringing the railing with ye!

I got one yesterday from Thinkbike in Rathmines for 55euro, could have got it cheaper online but would have been waiting a while and I only have a cheap lock for my new bike and dont want it stolen like the last one.

i think its just as strong as the standard size evolution but more compact so not too bad to carry around, the smaller size would also make it harder to brake as the thieves tools would have less space to work with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

mikes bikes in dun laoghaire do it for 45! if anyone is getting one id reccomend youd get it there as your luck will probably have it itll be knicked while its posting! and the smaller the u lock the more resistent. and that lock is a small u lock its 3.25" x 5.5" (8.3cm x 14cm) the bigger one is 4" x 9" with the mini i can fit my frame and rear wheel to a pole but its v. tight

my bike was knicked but mikes bikes got it back a guy came in asking to sell it for 50 euro it was worth more they tried to ring me but couldnt get me. they said they know its stolen and your man dumped it someone else picked it up brought it in for a puncture they rang me and then the guards took it two weeks later i got my bike back, no thanks to the gurads because i could of gotten it much sooner, so id reccomend notifying all the local bikes shops might get lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

I use this myself, similar to the kryptonite mini's that everyone raves about on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Was wondering about Kryptonite that lock myself - is that a small u-lock or a big padlock? As in do you lock the bike with it, or secure a cable lock with it?.

Small U-lock. Mine will do either wheel or frame but not both. Will fit around street bike hoops, sign poles and (barely) steel gates
    treated-steel-gate-86794.jpg
    I use a Kryptoflex cable with it to lock the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 vladvir

Same thing happened to me today... seems to be a popular spot to steal bikes... Emailed LUAS about it, though i kinda think they wont even bother answering...

Mine was brand new Apollo Phaze from halfords... I hate these people who steal bikes, I hope they go to prison and get ass raped!

Advertisement