Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepherd pup, hip problems?

Options
  • 18-03-2010 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi Guys, hope someone can answer a few questions for me.
    I noticed last week my 11 month old german shepherd was limping on her left hind leg after a long walk. I checked her paw incase there was anything stuck in it but there wasn't. I brought her up to a mobile clinic run by the dspca that night. The vet gave her a thorough examination and couldn't find anything wrong. He said it was more than likely a sprain and not to walk her for a week and she will heal it herself.

So I left her but there was no sign of it getting better and she has gone off her food. I brought her to the vet this afternoon and he's taking her in for an x-ray tomorrrow. I asked him if it was a sprain or hip dysplasia but he obviously wouldn't/couldn't say until the x-ray tomorrow.

According to the seller both parents had perfect hip scores. I'm no expert as you can gather from the post so I took him at face value (not saying he was lying).

If it turns out it is hip dysplasia is it treatable?
    If not what quality of life will she have?

Well fingers crossed she's ok and it's only a sprain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just an apology for the length of waiting for thread approval - I was afk.
    I don't myself have experience with hip dysplasia but hopefully others will and can offer advice. Have you heard back from the vet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

How long was the walk you brought her on? At 11 months your dog wouldn't be able for too long a walk (less than an hour). I would consider it unlikely at 11 months your pup has is showing such severe signs of dysplasia. My Rottie pup sprained her toe about a month ago chasing a ball, she was limping for about a week but then was fine.
    Depending on the severity of the hip dysplasia, treatment can vary from medication to surgery. Its generally treatable although arthritis can set in in later life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Our GSD was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia at about 7 months. I had noticed her hips clicking and mentioned it to the vet. We had her x-rayed that week and well, even I could tell from the X-rays it was bad news. She is due to be re-xrayed soon to see if she is a candidate for a hip replacement.
    She is on medication for the rest of her life called Previcox and Arthi Aid and works out at about €70 a month. We have noticed a big difference in her. She bounds around like any other dog which is fantastic to see so with the meds her quality of life has improved massively. I was devastated at first as I had dreams of doing agility with her. Now thats all changed and my main concern is that she is happy and healthy and that the dysplasia is managed correctly.
    Fingers crossed it is only a sprain tho, let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

hip dysplasia is not always hereditary ,it can be caused by overexercise ,to much weight to much calcium.You can get dogs with hip dysplasia even from hip scored parents ,Good luck with your dog

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kingchip

Thanks for all the replys guys. Unfortunately it wasn't good news from the xrays. She has dysplasia in both hips. The left side that she is limping on is actually the better of the 2. She is currently on anti inflammotories and is back eating well, her limp seems to be easing too.

According to the vet she should have a good quality of life but long walks and letting her off the lead are out of the question. There is an operation she can get but it's 2 grand per hip and there's no way I can afford it at the minute.

Thanks yourface I'll check out that medication you mentioned.

I'll keep you all updated with her progress and post a few pics if I can work out how to do it.

Thanks again for all the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kingchip

Heres a few pictures of Sheba.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

So sorry to hear about your pup - it was one of the big fears I had when we got ours (a rescue so no idea about parentage)

Good luck in managing the disease and saving up for the operation.

Advertisement