Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Pubs and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Clemenza wrote: »
    Sweet :) the last few times I was there, the dj's tended to be very self indulgent, playing really obscure stuff, hope this has changed!

Nope, two of the DJ's playlist is probably the least appealing aspect of the bar. One good DJ though who happily plays requests and his playlist is a little more diverse than the other two. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with the self-indulgent accusation. They don't seem all that concerned with what the crowd want and their playlist is limited and continually repetitive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

Passenger wrote: »
    Nope, two of the DJ's playlist is probably the least appealing aspect of the bar. One good DJ though who happily plays requests and his playlist is a little more diverse than the other two. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with the self-indulgent accusation. They don't seem all that concerned with what the crowd want and their playlist is limited and continually repetitive.

I think I know which ones you're on about :D

They do play some good stuff from time to time but one thing I'd like to hear more of is a good mix of all styles and sub-genres of Rock/Metal and to be a little more receptive to requests. It keeps everybody happy. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

They do play some good stuff from time to time but one thing I'd like to hear more of is a good mix of all styles and sub-genres of Rock/Metal and to be a little more receptive to requests. It keeps everybody happy. :)

I can appreciate their frustration with requests though. Sat by the dj booth a few times, and I'd say 9 of every 10 requests were 'Play some Slayer/Got any Slayer?/Spin Slayer'

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 HRR

Concerning Sally Longs in Galway, they will be a Rock and Metal Venue when they finally start getting rid of all the Disco and Hip-Hop crap in their Jukebox!

HRR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 mentaaal

Hi All,
    I was just wandering if there is anywhere I can go to listen to rock music here in Limerick city?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

mentaaal wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I was just wandering if there is anywhere I can go to listen to rock music here in Limerick city?

The blind pig and Dolans warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mentaaal

The blind pig and Dolans warehouse.

Cheers, I will check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DeniseMc90

There is also club poison (thursday night in dandelion )and club hell( o reillys bar) anyone been here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

DeniseMc90 wrote: »
    There is also club poison (thursday night in dandelion )and club hell( o reillys bar) anyone been here?

Can't stand places like this, only turning into a Rock Bar once a week to fill their grubby pockets, maybe understandable in a town with no 24/7 rock bars but we have them.

The Gypsy Rose & Fibbers to name just 2.

If people don't use the 24/7 rock bars and only go out once a week to these weekly events then soon enough the rock bars will close, then people will complain like fcuk!!

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Can't stand places like this, only turning into a Rock Bar once a week to fill their grubby pockets, maybe understandable in a town with no 24/7 rock bars but we have them.

The Gypsy Rose & Fibbers to name just 2.

If people don't use the 24/7 rock bars and only go out once a week to these weekly events then soon enough the rock bars will close, then people will complain like fcuk!!

Yep, Rockers are a fickle bunch. Fibbers on the Quays closed last year. Bruxelles is pretty busy on Saturday nights but Fibbers and Gypsy are only busy on Sat nights and can even be quite enough then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

scudzilla wrote: »

The oldest and longest standing that I can think of is bruxelles, but with the atmosphere and attitude in there, it's understandable why people don't want to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DeniseMc90

I like the one day a week thing...everyone knows rock bars are rare,so when a event night is on once or twice a week that's awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

DeniseMc90 wrote: »
    I like the one day a week thing...everyone knows rock bars are rare,so when a event night is on once or twice a week that's awesome

Rare maybe but they are there. Sure ya may enjoy club hell or the other one, but remember to support the 24/7 bars, because one day, you may wanna go for a pint or 3 on a wednesday night and all them rock/metal bars, they be closed down

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Declan_de_Vito

Hey people!

Anybody on here from Tipp or live near ?

I'm launching an alternative club night next month on Friday the 15th of November in the Kenyon Bar, Nenagh!

Playlists loaded with the best rock/metal & classic rock!! Plus beer pong & live bands!! Only €5 in!!

I've seen a few of the comments on here saying that a once off rock night is a poor idea but my town is pretty small so a full time rock bar probably wouldn't last too long and my town is craving for a night like this!!

So if you know of anybody that would be interested let them know ;D

Cheers

Hey people!

Anybody on here from Tipp or live near ?

I'm launching an alternative club night next month on Friday the 15th of November in the Kenyon Bar, Nenagh!

Playlists loaded with the best rock/metal & classic rock!! Plus beer pong & live bands!! Only €5 in!!

I've seen a few of the comments on here saying that a once off rock night is a poor idea but my town is pretty small so a full time rock bar probably wouldn't last too long and my town is craving for a night like this!!

So if you know of anybody that would be interested let them know ;D

Cheers
    Good man yourself.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Declan_de_Vito

Good man yourself.

Best of luck with it!

Cheers Dude 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Charlene_92

Personally, I support all types of rock/metal bars in Dublin! I'd go to Gypsey and Bruxelle's on Fridays or on weekdays if I fancy a quiet drink with good music and cool people. But I do go to Club Hell and Poison because I genuinely love the atmosphere, music and people that go there. I've made a ton of friends from these nights and find if far less intimidating to get chatting there than in, say the Gypsey, where the regulars often just stick together and stare rather than talk. I love the idea of one night a week events - at least they provide an outlet to dance and rock out on the dancefloor too :)

say the Gypsey, where the regulars often just stick together and stare rather than talk. Hah

Haha, I remember when I first started going to Bruxxies and all the regulars giving the filthies to anyone they didn't recognise.
    Haha, animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Was in Gypsy Rose bar for the first time on Friday. Great spot. Music was brilliant.

Got there at 6.30 and had only intended to stay for one or two (was meeting a mate) but 5 pints later was still there :D . Even at 8pm it was very busy and good choice of beer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Holy Hand Grenade

Does anyone know of some nice place to enjoy some heavy metal/hard rock in Dublin? I've been to Club Hell a few times but although it's not a bad place I'm looking for some heavier stuff.. with more 'metalheads' and so.. is there any place like that here? Last time I went to Club Hell the heaviest stuff they played was Bon Jovi..

BTW I'm thinking of giving Fibber Magees a shot, I've heard a lot about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Hi Mr Hand Grenade, Fibbers is ok you may be charged some nights if heading in lateish they open till 3am prob best enjoyed with a few of ye pool tables in there, outside bar, sportin events on screen,decent beer selection if thats your thing including Brooklyn & Punk IPA on tap and bottles of Trooper. Beer is more expensive than the other rock bars though. They sometimes have DJs in there who usually have no problem taking requests.

My fave is downstairs in Bruxelles though especially if I was on me own,Although beer selection Isnt as good pints are closer to the 5 mark than the 6 and as far as I know no cover charge lateish and they open till half 2/3 too. Jukebox selection is good again DJs playin sometimes who would usually take requests not a fan of the Gypo at all in fact last time I was there was plenty of your lads Bon Jovi bein played.

Aye, if it's Metal you're after Bruxelles and Fibber Magees are the only places to go. A Saturday night is probably the best night to check them out.

Club Hell is a one-night-a-week thing and is not a Rock bar. Never any Rockers in the place and as you said, the heaviest it gets is Glam Rock, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Holy Hand Grenade

Thank you guys, I'll check them out when I can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Whats The Pint like?

Whats The Pint like?

It's just a regular bar with a gig venue upstairs that hosts the odd Metal gig. Not a Rock bar.

It's just a regular bar with a gig venue upstairs that hosts the odd Metal gig. Not a Rock bar.

Ahh ok thought it was a metal bar

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Spaniard14

Wish there were some metal/rock pubs in Galway. We just have the Sally Longs

Spaniard14 wrote: »
    Wish there were some metal/rock pubs in Galway. We just have the Sally Longs

Good opportunity there for somebody to start a Rock/Metal night. Maybe a weekly or monthly event. Bands, DJ's, drink promotions, etc. ;)

• Advertisement

edit

Advertisement