Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

? re barrel length.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thats a tricky one.

The law says that you cannot shorten a rifle barrel below 50cm in length, but as this comes from the manufacturer that is not an issue.

The law syas that any centerfire rifle over .308 or whose overall length is shorter than 90 cm is deemed restricted and must be applied for as such. The Anschutz is not a centerfire but under 90 cm.

It seems to stand in no mans land, but to hazard a guess i would say it may be processed as a restricted application (but may not be) The problem you may face is the reason for this particular firearm above all else. In other words why do you need a 14" barrel .17 HMR when a (for example) 22"/24"/26"/28" barrel rifle is available and in the same caliber.

I would ring the FPU (Firearms Policy Unit) for a chat and to clarify what type of application you will be facing and get the exact legislation regarding this rifle before attempting to buy.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Cheers Eridax had a feeling there was some issue, might give my F.O a shout around the time I am changing. If its a no go think I might just go with this model instead.

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?produktID=304&menu=109&sprache=1&produktShow=detail

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Would you not be loosing a lot of velocity using .17HMR in such a short barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Lots of interesting info on .17HMR on this link, am half thinking of trading in my .22lr.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭eireshot

Lads im thinking about changing my Marlin 17 Hmr this summer, I have seen one that takes my fancy but the little voice in the back of my head is saying something about barrel length. So my question goes like this is the below legal ?

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?produktID=305&menu=109&sprache=1&produktShow=detail

Its the 14" version.

that rifle is not restricted, if barrel is longer than 30cm(12") and overall lenght of barrel and stock is longer than 60cm(24") then according to the restricted firearms amendment order, it's ok, (S.I. No. 337 of 2009).

• Advertisement

eireshot wrote: »
    that rifle is not restricted, if barrel is longer than 30cm(12") and overall lenght of barrel and stock is longer than 60cm(24") then according to the restricted firearms amendment order, it's ok, (S.I. No. 337 of 2009).

Hhmmm Interesting will have to do a bit more research cheers for that eireshot.

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Would you not be loosing a lot of velocity using .17HMR in such a short barrel?

Thats a good point sfakiaman will be looking that up later should get some info on this auld interweb yoke :D

Thats a good website alright its a nice wee round the 17 HMR, I made the move from .22 nearly 3 years back and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Lads im thinking about changing my Marlin 17 Hmr this summer, I have seen one that takes my fancy but the little voice in the back of my head is saying something about barrel length. So my question goes like this is the below legal ?

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?produktID=305&menu=109&sprache=1&produktShow=detail

Its the 14" version.

Ive been doin a bit of reasearch on this subjectand this is my understanding....

“ ‘short firearms’ means firearms either with a barrel not longer than 30
    centimetres or whose overall length (excluding the length of any detachable
    component) does not exceed 60 centimetres;”.

A short firearm being a pistol ( now prohibited unless .22 cal..........

So if your rifle/shotgun has a barrel length over 30 cm and an over all length more than 60 cm it is legal in the republic.... more so.. if such rifle is up to and including .308 but not semi automatic then it is an unrestricted firearm.

It also means that if you have a shotgun with a 30 cm barrel or more and if it does not have more than 3 round mag capacity or other items as described in firearms order 2009 then such shotgun is un restricted

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Correction to previous post. Was doing a bit of research myself.

Gunhappy and eireshot would be right. S.I. 337/2009 is an amendment to the principal order of S.I. 21/2008 with gives descriptions of firearms/meanings and what is classed as restricted.

A "short firearm" does refer to pistols and as the rifle in question exceeds the 60cm (24") overall minimum lenght and 30cm (12") minimum barrel lenght it would be deemed as unrestricted.

The full description of the rifle would be " a long, repeating, rim-fire firearm". All of which place it in the unrestricted category. Once the firearm comes with the shortened barrel and is not "modified" to such by the owner it is perfectly legal and still unrestricted.

My only point of concern would be the reason. I still feel you will have a hard time explaining why a 14" barrelled rifle is necessary over a 20"+ one. Then again on the application they do not ask for barrel lenght only caliber. So it my be alright.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement