Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which mountain bike to buy advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

what are you going to use the bike for?
    If you are going off road you'll need to up your budget considerably.
    all the bike you linked too are very big, way too big for you, You'll need a max size of 18 inch frame.
    have alook in a bike shop and see what size fits you
    Carerra subway in halford is a good runaround but more expensive than 250.
    Look at secondhand or spend more money, otherwise your wasting money buying a poor quality bike, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i have a 19 inch frame and i'm 5 10 and generally speaking thats too big for me offroading, (although i did ride this up and down dale acoss the uk ) but 22 would be way too big for proper off roading

but as you say its getting around everyday so try and ditch the suspension (it doesnt work anyway at that price and adds maintenance) and try to up the components

stick proper mudguards on
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_551203_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

and budget 100 euro for locks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

novarapid wrote: »
    what are you going to use the bike for?
    If you are going off road you'll need to up your budget considerably.
    all the bike you linked too are very big, way too big for you, You'll need a max size of 18 inch frame.
    have alook in a bike shop and see what size fits you
    Carerra subway in halford is a good runaround but more expensive than 250.
    Look at secondhand or spend more money, otherwise your wasting money buying a poor quality bike, IMO.

Hi,

I won't be using it for offroading or anything, just cycling to the gym, up to the shops, down to a mates, to training.

My last bike I had was 20 inch frame and was perfect.

As you can see by what my uses are it is just for basic use hence why my budget is max €250, would prefer cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

dude seriously get a road bike not a mountain bike if you're not going off roading. even a hybrid, something with narrow tyres not those massive fat knobbly ones - you'll enjoy the ride so much more and could even intergrate cycling into your gym routine - it really is fantastic cardio..

Ok lads, so listening to your advice I will increase my budget and from what a couple of others have recommended along with yourselves the below bike would be suitable to my needs and budget.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_551203_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

Can I just arrive up in Halfords and cycle it away? Or does it have to be put together? And is it included in the price?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

bike build and accessory fitting etc is all free at halfords

anoble66 wrote: »
    bike build and accessory fitting etc is all free at halfords

Cool, if I went up to them today when would they have it ready? What if I didn't want mud guards or suspension for example would it be cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Cool, if I went up to them today when would they have it ready? What if I didn't want mud guards or suspension for example would it be cheaper?
    The Carrera Subway doesn't come with mudguards or suspension anyway. You are unlikely to get better for €300 unless you get something second-hand. You could try asking them to match the UK price or buy up North.

I would seriously seriously reccomend getting something second hand. My bike cost half what that does and is way way better. At least get something with nice tyres, 700c's or something..

You don't need that many gears, (I have 6, trust me its plenty) - those tyres are still big and heavy looking, the whole bike is big and heavy looking - it'll be reliable but not a great bike, no..

There's nothing wrong with going second hand, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck and prolly something that is a joy to ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

SubLuminal wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with going second hand, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck and prolly something that is a joy to ride.

Apparently there's a lot of unwanted (or possibly stolen, I don't know) hardly used and decent bikes about as a result of the bike to work scheme if you look. Don't ask me where, just heard from a fella that I work with who recently replaced his bike with a second hand bike and that's what fella in the shop told him. I'd ask him for more details but he's off today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Subway is a decent bike. There is no issue with 26" wheels as long as you have slicks on them. Actual weight of a previous model was 12.7kg which is not particularly heavy for a hybrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

I'm looking to buy a mountain bike - I live on the side of a mountain and will use the bike for some recreational off road exploring around the mountain - dirt tracks etc - nothing serious. I'm 6ft 3" and 12.5 stone - any recommendations/advice? My budget is €400 max. There is a Halfords near to me if they have any good deals?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

these bikes have good specs for the price. I have one and like it a lot. I think it is a good cheap bike for starting out on.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_759113_langId_-1_categoryId_212589#dtab

kakee wrote: »
    these bikes have good specs for the price. I have one and like it a lot. I think it is a good cheap bike for starting out on.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_759113_langId_-1_categoryId_212589#dtab

Looks interesting thanks. Would the frame (18") be big enough? I'm 6ft 3"

www.rothar.ie

www.tinyurl.com/rotharmap

Go here before you spend ****loads of money on something new. You'd be way way better off going to rothar, getting something secondhand and quality rather than something new and shiny and heavy and crap..

Rothar is a not for profit community bike shop that aims to promote cycling and provide affordable bicycles. Everything is donated, either by the corporation or by people, fixed up and restored by bike mechanics and sold at an affordable cost. Sometimes you get some real nice stuff in there.

SubLuminal wrote: »
    www.rothar.ie

www.tinyurl.com/rotharmap

Go here before you spend ****loads of money on something new. You'd be way way better off going to rothar, getting something secondhand and quality rather than something new and shiny and heavy and crap..

Rothar is a not for profit community bike shop that aims to promote cycling and provide affordable bicycles. Everything is donated, either by the corporation or by people, fixed up and restored by bike mechanics and sold at an affordable cost. Sometimes you get some real nice stuff in there.

Thanks for that. Only problem is that I'm in Wexford and that place is in Dublin. I'm looking to get a boke next weekend if possible and no chance of me getting to Dublin before Aug at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Would the frame (18") be big enough? I'm 6ft 3"

There is also a 20" version which would probably be more suitable

Advertisement