Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Nurseries/Suppliers in or near Co. Sligo

Options
  • 18-03-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭

I was onto a Garden centre (will remain unnamed) in Sligo recently, for some bare root Alder trees and some Leylandi 'Castlewellan Gold'. I needed about 6 Leylandi to replace some diseased trees and the Alder for planting in a pretty 'soggy' area of the garden. This was beyond the garden centre, I won't go into detail but let's just say they were incompetent. About a year ago, another garden centre I went to in Sligo sold me the wrong trees with the wrong I.D. labels on them. I noticed this, but several 'expert' staff swore I was wrong. After a full season of growth (non -growth) I was proved right and if I had kept the receipts I would have dug the trees up and returned them.
    So finally getting to the point, are they're any tree/hedging suppliers in Co. Sligo or even the North West? that could supply me with what I need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I don't know about Leylandi, but Ardcarn Garden Centre between Boyle and Carrick on Shannon have bare rooted Alder for €1.99 each and bigger ones for €4.99, my brother bought some last week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There is a garden centre in Tubbercurry that are pretty good with trees and hedging, not sure if they would have what you are looking for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

genie wrote: »
    I don't know about Leylandi, but Ardcarn Garden Centre between Boyle and Carrick on Shannon have bare rooted Alder for €1.99 each and bigger ones for €4.99, my brother bought some last week. :)

I've just been on to them and they have exactly what I need, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

No problem! I think they are one of the best garden centres around. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garbarrage

Probably too late now, but if you haven't got them already, I really recommend you avoid leylandii unless you have a huge, and I mean huge garden. Under the right conditions they can grow up to 4ft a year. This is great if you want a hedge really quickly. However once they get above the height you want, you will have to cut them back. To keep them dense with foliage, you will have to do this 3-4 times a year. If you don't do this the foliage inside will brown and die off and you will be stuck with them at that size as you can't cut back beyond the greenery on leylandii.

I am a qualified arborist and if it wasn't for trying to manage or remove leylandii that have grown too big I would have been out of work years ago. The cost for topping or removing these trees once they have gotten out of hand can be anything from 400 to 2500 depending on the size and access to the trees. Very few people who plant them mange them effectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

garbarrage wrote: »
    Probably too late now, but if you haven't got them already, I really recommend you avoid leylandii unless you have a huge, and I mean huge garden. Under the right conditions they can grow up to 4ft a year. This is great if you want a hedge really quickly. However once they get above the height you want, you will have to cut them back. To keep them dense with foliage, you will have to do this 3-4 times a year. If you don't do this the foliage inside will brown and die off and you will be stuck with them at that size as you can't cut back beyond the greenery on leylandii.

I am a qualified arborist and if it wasn't for trying to manage or remove leylandii that have grown too big I would have been out of work years ago. The cost for topping or removing these trees once they have gotten out of hand can be anything from 400 to 2500 depending on the size and access to the trees. Very few people who plant them mange them effectively.

I know the potential pitfalls of Leylandi alright, but fortunately I have a big garden and no neighbours. Most of the ones I planted will be allowed to grow 'free range', but some near the house will be kept at a manageable height to form a hedge. Thanks anyway for your input.

Advertisement