Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing rear brakes on Scenic?

• 18-03-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Im about to attempt to change the rear brake pads on a scenic.Question is, as the car has that self releasing handbrake,will I encounter any problems with changing the pads or will it be straight forward?
    Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I had no problem in changing the front pads by the way..
    Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's the same. I dd it recently enough. You just pull the handle in the boot to release it.
    It's in the middle of the 2 seats on the Grand scenic, I assume its in the same spot on the normal Scenic if yours is the 5 seater. You have to give it a good tug.

The car registers a handbrake fault but you just use the handle on the dash to apply and release the handbrake when your done and it resets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Hi guys, I was happy when I read Stekelly post and when I read the 2nd post with the link,it scared the ...... out of me. they talk of needing a special tool to release the calipers etc, is it as easy as you say stekelly. i hope so.

hawkelady wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was happy when I read Stekelly post and when I read the 2nd post with the link,it scared the ...... out of me. they talk of needing a special tool to release the calipers etc, is it as easy as you say stekelly. i hope so.
    The special tool is the piston rewind tool. These tools are needed for the rear brake pistons in many cars. You need to turn the piston while retracting it. The haynes manual says that a circlip pliers can be used instead of a specific rewind tool but I have heard bad reports about the effectiveness of this method

You can get a rewind tool in Halfords for around 30 quid but it probably won't have the right adaptor to fit Renault brakes, the adaptor then has to be purchased separately from ebay etc. Pain in the arse. There are also "professional" rewind tool kits available which include a number of adaptors including the Renault ones but these kits are dearer, like 60-150 quid.

edit: looking at the pics in the link I gave it looks like the adaptors that come with the 30 quid Halfords tool *might* be the right size and shape to fit the face of the piston. On some other Renault models, the standard adaptors don't fit. You will find it hard to get a straight answer to whether they fit or not, even on Renaultforums

BrianD3 wrote: »

You can get a rewind tool in Halfords for around 30 quid but it probably won't have the right adaptor to fit Renault brakes

It does indeed.:)

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    It does indeed.:)
    Good to know :) Now if only the standard adaptor would fit a Laguna piston!

This is the Laser 1314 rewind tool we're talking about I presume. Around 30 quid in Halfords or probably cheaper in other places
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_214227_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Good to know :) Now if only the standard adaptor would fit a Laguna piston!

This is the Laser 1314 rewind tool we're talking about I presume. Around 30 quid in Halfords or probably cheaper in other places
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_214227_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Thats the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I did a mate of mine`s renault with a similar rear brake setup, also same rear caliper set up on the girlfriends civic.

I used the Laser rewind tool and it worked fine, but I think it was more like €20 max I paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Just a note to say a big thank you to all the responses.. Changed the brakes earlier today with no problem at all. thanks for all the tips, much appreciated...

Advertisement