Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy and Sugar Free Chocolate - HELP!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I haven't seen the no added sugar one (but the milk chocolate normal Plamil bar I have seen, not sure if it was Nourish or my local health food store). You could ask in your local health food store, but if they order it in, it'll be a whole box full with your name on it. It seems Plamil don't ship outside of the UK for small customer orders online. I wonder if anywhere else online will sell them. Try ringing the Nourish on Wicklow Street in Dublin and ask them if they stock it; they have a wide range of chocolates. Your alternative to chocolate which is sugar free which is not Plamil but would be easier to buy here would be carob. But that tastes quite different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Thanks for your help! I'm going to check a load more shops around the place this weekend before I go to the extreme of asking for a whole box in my name ;) I think that may be slightly disasterous!!! :D But I've seen people selling them on ebay, and I have relatives in the UK that could receive anything from the Plamil site, so not all hope is lost!

I find carob a bit plain and bitter. Any idea if there are any bars of solid carob available here which are sweeter (no sugar though) and maybe flavoured with mint/orange?

I'll keep on the lookout for you!

thanks you're a star! I have a very sweet tooth and I love chocolate, it's my main downfall, so a vegan bar that is sweet with no sugar will be ideal for me!

Progress!

I found this one:

http://www.plamilfoods.co.uk/chocolate/no-added-sugar-chocolate-with-shelled-hemp?zenid=e6f45adc5609503bf146ae5ddb696fcb

in the Hopsack in Rathmines. Bit pricey at €2.79 for a bar, but I haven't seen it cheaper elsewhere. I'll have to try it over the weekend and see if it's nice. If so then I won't need to find the other bar I was on about... although it would still be nice to try a "milkier" sugar-free chocolate.

• Advertisement

Ok, I was in Nourish on Wicklow St and Liffey St in Dublin earlier.
    Wicklow St Store has a small Plamil no added sugar plain 72% cocoa chocolate bar (45g, €1.45)
    Liffey St Store has the Plamil Dairy-Free Milk Chocolate. But not sugar free.
    I couldn't find the exact one, but I'd say if you enquire with Nourish you might have some luck in the Plamil range for the one you want. Maybe they won't mind getting in a box for their shelf if you buy one or two :)

I'll keep a lookout during my next few visits to health food stores. Mind you, checking up on it this morning resulted in me buying an Organica Golden Coconut and Dark Chocolate vegan bar. Yum!

I've never been a fan of carob after having eaten it for years when I was younger when I was off sugar. There must be improved versions out there...

Awh, cheers for looking! :)

I might actually ask at the Hopsack if they'll get in the one I want... they seem friendly in there and I am more likely to go in and buy stuff on a more regular basis from them. They have some of the Plamil range so I'm sure it wouldn't be too much bother.

My verdict on the Plamil sugar-free hemp seed chocolate is that it is still quite bitter and would probably be better straight from the fridge as I like it when dark chocolate has a "snap" to it. The texture of it is good though and it melts nicely in the mouth and I like the added crunch of the seeds. I would definitely buy it again, but I really do need to find something that is a bit sweeter! It is definitely better than the sugarfree carob though, no doubt about it!

Brill :) I used to really dislike dark chocolate before going vegan, but then I got into it. I guess I had no choice! Give it time and the flavor may grow on you one day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Beldaria

I haven't seen the no added sugar one (but the milk chocolate normal Plamil bar I have seen, not sure if it was Nourish or my local health food store). You could ask in your local health food store, but if they order it in, it'll be a whole box full with your name on it. It seems Plamil don't ship outside of the UK for small customer orders online. I wonder if anywhere else online will sell them. Try ringing the Nourish on Wicklow Street in Dublin and ask them if they stock it; they have a wide range of chocolates. Your alternative to chocolate which is sugar free which is not Plamil but would be easier to buy here would be carob. But that tastes quite different.

Phoenix Delite sells gorgeous sugar free Belgian chocolates. They have an online shop: www.phoenixdelite.ie and they sell in Fallon & Byrne and The Sweetest Thing chocolate shop on Batchelors' Walk and in Londis in the Phoenix Park Racecourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

I think that Celtic chocolate do some sugar free vegan chocolates, might be worth a look!

• Advertisement
Advertisement