Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lifting Cars

• 18-03-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I happened to be in the vicinity of Beamount Hospital today, and the Gardái had a toe truck on Shantalla Rd taking away a minter 02 735i, looked immaculate…

Young’ish bloke standing beside transporter was not a happy chappie…

Are they seizing cars for no tax etc now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Hotwheels wrote: »
    I happened to be in the vicinity of Beamount Hospital today, and the Gardái had a toe truck on Shantalla Rd taking away a minter 02 735i, looked immaculate…

Young’ish bloke standing beside transporter was not a happy chappie…

Possibly , not the sort of motor you see a youngish lad driving anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They're seizing 1000s of cars per year now for no tax/NCT/... so that's probably why the beamer was on the tow truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Magnus wrote: »
    They're seizing 1000s of cars per year now for no tax/NCT/... so that's probably why the beamer was on the tow truck.

First time I've seen this, never came across it in Galway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

He should of hopped in to it, they can't lift it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Was the Garda wearing his hat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Only right. I hate that crap of driving around in something flash & not being able to afford to tax it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

mickdw wrote: »
    Only right. I hate that crap of driving around in something flash & not being able to afford to tax it.

Would agree. Or driving a bling bling car or 4wd with a for sale sticker on the back window because the owner cannot afford to pay for the damn thing... I think the reason one should generally buy a top end motor is because they are pretty flush and such is sometimes obviously not the case. Would think more of somebody driving something rough and ready who owned the bloody thing:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

We could all buy flashy cars if we're paying with someone elses money, different story when it comes to running them though

?Heard this happen to at least two people who had their cars taken for no tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

mickdw wrote: »

Reminds me, I was filling up with petrol a while back and a young (very early 20s) guy pulls up in a two or three year old Merc 500CL (might even have been a 600 if such a thing exists, can't remember) with a couple of young tarts wedged into the back of it, and proceeds to put a fiver in it! I kid you not :D

Hopefully he didn't live too far away. Then the fiver might have covered his trip to the garage and back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

milltown wrote: »
    Reminds me, I was filling up with petrol a while back and a young (very early 20s) guy pulls up in a two or three year old Merc 500CL (might even have been a 600 if such a thing exists, can't remember) with a couple of young tarts wedged into the back of it, and proceeds to put a fiver in it! I kid you not :D

Hopefully he didn't live too far away. Then the fiver might have covered his trip to the garage and back.

Surely you'd fit more than two ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

At least we can be pretty sure that was daddys car. Im sure daddy could well afford it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

yep a CL600 exsists as well as a CL55 and a CL65... on top of the CL500

even at that the CL500 gets 16.3mpg around town....
    so €5 say €1.20 a litre is 4.17 litres = 1.1gallons... or 18miles.......
    hope his house isnt too far :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Magnus wrote: »

They should to a tv campaign with the following but with road tax instead:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-PemhvXHc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Hotwheels wrote: »

They've been at that yonks, ya can't not know where there is a check point in Dublin, you see a fleet of ITS lorries loaded with cars & an army of people stuck on the footpaths & not a bus stop in sight!

Bring on the day when they seize them for driving with one or no headlights, fecking sick of the amount of stingy buggars on the road to mean to even replace a headlight bulb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

robtri wrote: »

even at that the CL500 gets 16.3mpg around town....
    so €5 say €1.20 a litre is 4.17 litres = 1.1gallons... or 18miles.......
    hope his house isnt too far :D:D:D

4.17 litres is approx 0.9 gallons (you were using the US gallons conversion factor), so he only had a range of 15 miles :)

Back on topic...in the UK (at least on Road Wars :)) I've sometimes seen them leave a seized car at the side of the road with massive "NO TAX NO CAR" stickers on it. Presumably this is to act as a warning for all others driving on that road?

Advertisement