Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Feel Sorry for John Terry

• 18-03-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I wrote an article for Irish sports blog, Sportspeak.eu, sympathising with John Terry. Gonna give it a re-print here if the mods are cool with that. All thoughts are welcome.

http://sportspeak.eu/2010/03/18/terry’s-spectacular-meltdown-it’s-not-terry’s-it’s-ours/
    Terry’s Spectacular Meltdown: It’s Not Terry’s, It’s Ours

I feel sorry for John Terry.

(Yes, I realise that in the midst of a recession, taking pity on those poor millionaire footballers who are spoilt for choice with Page 3 girls might not be fashionable. But hear me out.)

Being a Manchester United fan, when word of Terry’s off-the-field indiscretions first hit the papers I was naturally overjoyed. “Good enough for the smug git,” I thought. All the while revelling in the hope that his and Ashley Cole's inability to keep their pants on may somehow deal a fatal blow to Chelsea’s title aspirations.

Then as the weeks went on, the story appeared to get all the more ludicrous. Never mind the fact that, prior to Bridge-gate, Terry had to deal with revelations of his parents’ antics and the consequences of undercover News of the World journalists. After the Wayne Bridge saga hit the headlines, we had Craig Bellamy’s outburst, the bizarre shirtless interview, the removal of his international captaincy and, now, the mowing down of a club security guard. No matter what move Terry seemed to make to keep his name out of the press, it was the wrong one.

In fact, his actions have all the hallmarks of a good old celebrity meltdown. Winehouse and Spears, eat your heart out.

Is this what we want from our footballers though? The papers only fill column inches to suit public demand, after all. Are we, as a sporting fanbase, now thirsty for blood? Isn’t missing a Champions League Final penalty enough to suffice anymore? Do we require every aspect of his personal life be dissected piece-by-piece by the media now?

Because, make no mistake about it, A is directly connected to B here. I’m relatively certain that the aforementioned Chelsea security guard would be sitting at home enjoying a cuppa with his family now had the papers not gotten wind of the Wayne Bridge scandal. After all, Terry’s wreckless driving was caused by him attempting to avoid a melee of public and press clamouring to see what his next move or comment would be. Ask and you shall receive.

One could easily argue that this is all Terry’s doing. The public and media never forced him to make advances towards Vanessa Perroncel. He could have easily thrown a hoodie on before addressing MOTD camera crews. Etc etc.

That doesn’t make us an innocent party, though. Why did we choose to place so much emphasis on whether or not two players, who obviously dislike each other, shook hands before a match? Why were people queuing up in their hundreds to bombard Terry’s car home following another match? Why can’t we just focus on a player’s performance on the pitch instead of worrying about what goes on behind closed doors?

Now we’re discovering something that should have been obvious from the get-go: footballers don’t react well to pressure on their personal life. Why would they? Their media training consists solely of them saying “At the end of the day,” ad nauseum and crediting any personal achievements towards the collective unity of the team.

They’re not media moguls like Simon Cowell or Katie Price. They are overgrown boys who have been plucked out of a natural maturing environment and pampered with millions to devote their lives to kicking a ball around a field.

They are spoiled kids who were earning six-figure salaries weeks after they’d previously been earning pocket money. I don’t say ‘spoiled kids’ in a bitter or negative way, I say it out of compassion. What more do we expect of these people? How would each one of us poor unfortunates have reacted if we were aged 17, on £20,000 a week and had models throwing themselves at us? Their indiscretions are only so flagrant because they know no better.

Football has become a money machine. We, the public, throw so much money at it that millionaire businessmen swarm and consume all in sight. They snap these kids up at ridiculously young ages, entice them with all the luxuries this world has to offer and then we slam them and spit them out when they take advantage of being spoiled. We then poke and prod at their tattered-reputations in the hope that they’ll only continue to dig their hole deeper. And at the end of the witch hunt, we leave their lives in shreds and go hunting for blood elsewhere.

To condone our blood-thirst, we say “Oh but they’re millionaires, they can handle it.” Not realising that this capitalism-on-crack sport may not leave them short on bus fare, but what of personal dignity? What of human compassion? Do personal wealth and sporting acclaim really negate the richness of life itself?

The saddest aspect of it all is that there appears to be no change in sight. While FIFA is led by Sepp Blatter the sport will continue to be governed by a man who is opposed to experimenting in even basic, necessary changes that are easily at the sport’s disposal. If change doesn’t directly suit FIFA, it’s not worthwhile. Meanwhile, UEFA President Michel Platini continues to huff and puff, but the powers that be are ensuring he’s not blowing any houses down for the foreseeable future. The current model makes too much money for anyone to concern themselves with the long-term damage to both its clubs and individual players.

So we will continue to allow South American players to be exported in their early teens only to turn into personal wrecks like Ronaldo and Adriano. We will continue to look the other way while owners like Sulaiman Al Fahim and Thaksin Shinawatra leave the sport’s door open for financial destruction and corruption. We will continue to let the world’s finest players spend their way into a downward spiral. We will continue to let clubs linger in debt despite the fact that even those in the richest league in the world are now going bankrupt. And so on and so forth.

As long as the public keeps spending, those in power will continue to blow the sport’s bubble until it eventually bursts.

At the start of the season, we all raised an eyebrow when one young Irish goalkeeper, Shane Suppell, made the controversial decision to retire from a promising career despite no obvious reason for doing so. He was tipped to be a future Ireland Number One and would be playing under his fellow countryman and legend, Roy Keane.

With all of the above in mind, though, I think I can finally understand his decision now. Maybe one day, given the benefit of hindsight, we may all be able to appreciate Suppell’s vision. Instead of continuing on a risky journey towards gold beyond his wildest dreams, he jumped from a sinking ship while he still could. He didn’t choose football. He chose life. Perhaps even a millionaire like John Terry can appreciate that right now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well written, whether I agree or disagree.

BTW, it's Ashley Cole not Ashley Young.

Although Young did get his pants down on webcam. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

That's more like a novel than an article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Thats nice, well I don't feel sorry for John Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I agree with your points in general, but disagree with your specifics.
    By that, I mean: Tabloid journalists are like bluebottles that feed on sh!t, but I still don't like John Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

JPA wrote: »
    BTW, it's Ashley Cole not Ashley Young.

Although Young did get his pants down on webcam. :D

Cheers for pointing that out, only realised it now. It was written at 1am on Paddy's Day so that's my excuse!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Don't feel sorry for him but I do think he is losing it and probably not well in the head at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I feel sorry for ....people in Hospital ...... families at funerals etc.....
    Feel sorry for John Terry? - you are having a laugh!
    Of course you are intitled to you opinion but seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

something wrong with his head anyway

dunno if that's already been posted here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

"They are spoiled kids who were earning six-figure salaries weeks after they’d previously been earning pocket money. I don’t say ‘spoiled kids’ in a bitter or negative way, I say it out of compassion. What more do we expect of these people? How would each one of us poor unfortunates have reacted if we were aged 17, on £20,000 a week and had models throwing themselves at us? Their indiscretions are only so flagrant because they know no better."

I don't want to sound too harsh, but that's b*llox. Some top footballers get caught with their pants down, just as some top businessmen & politicians do. So do some Joe Soaps. The difference is, that they don't end up on the front or back pages because of it.

Either way - that's just some people/ footballers/ politicians/ businessmen. The rest just stay monogomous, or don't get caught. Do I feel sorry for him? Sorry, I don't have any empathy to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

They are spoiled kids who were earning six-figure salaries weeks after they’d previously been earning pocket money. I don’t say ‘spoiled kids’ in a bitter or negative way, I say it out of compassion. What more do we expect of these people? How would each one of us poor unfortunates have reacted if we were aged 17, on £20,000 a week and had models throwing themselves at us? Their indiscretions are only so flagrant because they know no better.

This bit is ridiculous. You can't put yourself in the shoes of a proffesional footballer let alone make sweeping statements about their development as a person
    With all of the above in mind, though, I think I can finally understand his decision now. Maybe one day, given the benefit of hindsight, we may all be able to appreciate Suppell’s vision. Instead of continuing on a risky journey towards gold beyond his wildest dreams, he jumped from a sinking ship while he still could. He didn’t choose football. He chose life. Perhaps even a millionaire like John Terry can appreciate that right now.

This is tabloid journalism at its worst. How can we all understand the decision of a 22 year old man leaving a 20,000 a week salary. A sinking ship? Investors are flocking in. He chose life? Literally millions of people would do anything to be a proffesional footballer. And I'm sure John Terry regrets his decision to enter into a field where he earns a few times the average industrial wage a week playing a game in a field and having a laugh with the boys and cheating on his wife with models. BOLLOX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I dont feel sorry for him in the least tbh

whatever has happened to him in the media it is hiw own choices that got him there

delighted for him in fact, about time he got some backlash for his behaviour, my mate, who is a journalist, had told me they had a file about 10" thick on Terry but were not gonna be running stories till after the world cup!

He has come through the worst of it anyway

Someone else will be the panto bad guy next season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

We have a turd in the punchbowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

i'm sick of JT threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Fair play OP! An independent article on John Terry and you didn't use the words c*nt or w*nker once.

A+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Well written article leggo. I don't necessarily agree with the general jist of your argument but you put your side of the argument, which is undoubtedly the "unpopular" one, pretty well.

Having said all that, I'd find it a seriously hard stretch to have sympathy for John Terry and his ilk. And whileb the argument that teenagers who get thousands of quid thrown at them are bounmd to do silly thing is a sound one, it does nothing to excuse the repeatedly repulsive actions of a man approaching 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah much of it makes sense but then there's this: (yeah I know it's the telegraph but it was the first link I found to the story).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/chelsea/6668295/Chelsea-and-England-captain-John-Terry-looks-to-cash-in-on-national-team-status.html

Now, if a guy on 150 or so grand a week wants to cash in on his fame by flogging himself to the highest bidder then he's not just playing football, he's using his image to generate even more revenue - not quite Katie Price but he's crossed the professional sportsperson/celebrity line.

NOTW are scum but I don't feel sorry for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

He's hillbilly trailer trash.

gosplan wrote: »
    Yeah much of it makes sense but then there's this: (yeah I know it's the telegraph but it was the first link I found to the story).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/chelsea/6668295/Chelsea-and-England-captain-John-Terry-looks-to-cash-in-on-national-team-status.html

Now, if a guy on 150 or so grand a week wants to cash in on his fame by flogging himself to the highest bidder then he's not just playing football, he's using his image to generate even more revenue - not quite Katie Price but he's crossed the professional sportsperson/celebrity line.

"If you are looking for a fresh approach for your brand during the time leading up to the World Cup, or feel it would benefit from being associated with a leader - especially relevant in today's ultra-competitive marketplace - then why not let the nation's football captain help get your message across."

I have emailed Riviera Entertainment to see if I get the logo for my new company, "Tw*t", emblazoned on his shirt.

Thanks to everyone who replied, even the negative one's. I didn't expect to win hearts and minds with the thread title.

The argument I'm making here isn't to say that John Terry deserves people's sympathy anymore than obvious, more deserving parties. I'd laugh at myself if I even attempted to do so.

What I'm saying is that Terry is merely a pawn on a broken chessboard. His actions are a by-product of the lifestyle forged out of a sport that ultimately has gotten lost in a whirlwind of cash.

Are there others that have restrained themselves despite facing the same temptations that proved the undoing of Terry? Yes, and they'd likely be in the majority. But does that automatically qualify JT as a SCUMBAG? I don't believe so.

He's not the victim either, don't get me wrong. But it's more down the middle than perhaps we are giving him credit for. I know plenty of people who have cheated on women and had affairs before...that doesn't make them automatic scum. We are quick to dig the knife in when said scum earns the wage packet that Terry does, though.

Would we allow ourselves to be as damned as quickly as he is? Obviously not. If faced with the same temptations, would those devoting column inches behave in a completely dignified, restrained manner? Hmm...And the amount of 0's on someone's paycheque doesn't justify that hypocrisy.

And look at the consequences of our damnation. Do Terry's most recent actions seem like those of a man in complete control?

The name of the game is FOOTBALL. John Terry=/ Kerry Katona. He's paid to perform on the field.This isn't a case of him attempting to use the press to further his career back-firing.

As a FOOTBALL fan, I'm stating how it's sad that we choose to focus on his off-field performance instead. And why do we do so? Again I believe it comes back to the green-eyed monster. I'm arguing that perhaps that is as much of a hindrance as a help.

Thanks again for the responses though. Feel free to retort.

leggo wrote: »
    As a FOOTBALL fan, I'm stating how it's sad that we choose to focus on his off-field performance instead. And why do we do so? Again I believe it comes back to the green-eyed monster. I'm arguing that perhaps that is as much of a hindrance as a help.

I couldn't give a flyer about what Terry does off the pitch - or any footballer for that matter, so I don't feel anything about him or the rest.

I feel happy when my team wins, sad when they lose. I don't focus on anything else & I certainly don't write articles about it, then blame other people for focusing on off-field behaviour.

• Advertisement

I feel happy when my team wins, sad when they lose. I don't focus on anything else & I certainly don't write articles about it, then blame other people for focusing on off-field behaviour.

There's no need to get smart now. Especially when my use of the word 'we' in the text you quoted clearly shows that I include myself in the bunch and am not shifting the 'blame' onto others.

There's no need to get smart now. Especially when my use of the word 'we' in the text you quoted clearly shows that I include myself in the bunch and am not shifting the 'blame' onto others.

Apparently, "we" are free to retort, but only if "we" are not perceived as "being smart".

Don't ask for opinions if you don't want them.

:confused:

:confused:

I couldn't be arsed explaining. It was a stupid article written about stupid articles & even stupider reactions to said articles. You say you are a football fan, yet you waste your time delving further into gossip column inches & their meanings & outcomes and then writing about them. I don't add fuel to those fires, bcause I simply don't care. I just like football. The rest is just gravy.

Okay.

So with the token trolling done with, now we'll just go back to the regular discussion which was going quiet well. Cool with you?

Okay.

So with the token trolling done with, now we'll just go back to the regular discussion which was going quiet well. Cool with you?

I replied to your questions. I wish I hadn't bothered wasting my time. Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

He's been around in the game long enough to know what to expect. No sympathy for him. Plenty of sympathy for the lad in hospital and for Wayne Bridge who was dragged in to this by Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nah, he even does this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-539397/100-000-week-football-star-John-Terry-ignores-60-fine-park-disabled-spot.html

For those that don't know the song:

"I like to park in handicapped spaces while handicapped people make handicapped faces - I'M AN AS*HOLE"

I mean, Jesus if there was actually an opposite to handicapped, John Terry would be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I'll never feel sorry for him, but this whole thing has been blown wildly out of context. All he did was cheat on his wife, and while it's a dispicable act, it's not like he's the only person who's ever done it. He's one of millions, but everyone else isn't hunted down by the media over it.

Goodness sake, at the moment if he knocked over a cup in a china shop you'd twenty minutes later have people all over the internet saying he threw it at the cashier and had his eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Being a Manchester United fan,
    I stopped at this point.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'm with you on this - since all the clergy scandals , its like footballers are to be our new moral leaders - anyway she was spilt up with Bridge at the time , so what's the fuss , get over it Wayne -- its like the English World Cup crusade wants to be derailed before it starts by the red tops - even Saint Gary Linekar wasn't so pure

Advertisement