Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing sprouts

Options
  • 18-03-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi, to start I know nothing about growing sprouts, and am looking for any advice / tips / or point out any pitfalls. I've done a bit of research and I'll post up what I uderstand I'm supposed to do, so please point out where I'm going wrong.

1) Put the sprout seeds in a glass jar (large coffee jar or something) immerse in water and leave for 8-12 hours.

2) Pour out the water, rinse seeds. Leave drained glass jar with wet sprout seeds in a dark (?) place, ie. no direct sunlight??

3) rinse a couple of times a day and leave back in dark place after rinsing.

4) After a few days once seed have sprouted, rinse and leave in sunlight to green up the sprouts?

Will this do the job?

Also can anyone recommend which sprout seeds work best for them, I've mustard and alfalfa seeds?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I've never grown them from seed..sounds like a lot of hassle.......just bought the little plants and transplanted them into the prepared bed making sure to firm them in by hand without damaging them and later when young adults:)
    make sure to firm in the ground around them with your foot as they need firm ground to produce tight sprouts.

ooh I miss me fresh sprouts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

this should give you a good idea of how to proceed...there is also a list of seeds and the differences between them.

http://www.primalseeds.org/sprouting.htm

easy ,inexpensive, fresh...... good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 HereIGo

Never tried jars for sprouts. I bought a sprout growing three tier tray in the health shop for about €20 - €25. There are instructions with it. I soak the seeds overnight first, rinse them in a sieve, and then put them on the tray. They have to be watered morning and evening. There is a drain in each tray. I find the larger seeds are best for the tray system as the smaller ones can clog the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just in case anyone is still confused, these are not the sort of sprouts you have with your Christmas dinner!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

HereIGo wrote: »
    Never tried jars for sprouts. I bought a sprout growing three tier tray in the health shop for about €20 - €25. There are instructions with it. I soak the seeds overnight first, rinse them in a sieve, and then put them on the tray. They have to be watered morning and evening. There is a drain in each tray. I find the larger seeds are best for the tray system as the smaller ones can clog the drain.
    That sounds pretty handy, I guess its the same method, just with my own home made seed tray.

Also, how do I know when the sprouts are ready?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

That sounds pretty handy, I guess its the same method, just with my own home made seed tray.

It takes about 3-4 days, it's really easy - just remember to use roughly the same size peas/beans together. I've done chick peas, aduki and green peas together. They then last a few days in the fridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 HereIGo

When the first two leaves are out, or almost out, they are ready to eat. Roughly 1 - 2cm tall. You will know by looking at them. Take it as you go. It's not an exact science!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

to clear up the confusion ,the op is talking about mungbean sprouts not brussel sprouts

my mother used to grown them on a tray with wet kitchen paper underneath and a damp tea towel over them on a window sill,so they got heat,moisture and some light without drying out

Advertisement