Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foster Dogs?a difficult decision

Options
  • 19-03-2010 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey,

Ive had Molly my GS pup for 5 months and shes growing well and shes a great dog, I love her so much.She comes everywhere with me and I spend probably 15/16 hours a day with her.

The problem is now I have been offered a job in England on a nature reserve and as its a bird reserve and the accommodation is on site I am not premitted to have a dog...which is understandable from their point of view.

If I could afford to get my own off site accommodation I would but unless I can find a supplementary income that wont be possible.

I would give her to a good home but I dont know if I can part with her and also Is it unfair to just let someone foster her because if she gets comfortable and attached to the family it wouldn't be fair to move her again.

I am sure its not an uncommon problem. I know I was selfish to get her If I wasnt in a position to keep her but that's wasn't how I had planned things.

I would appreciate any help or advice.

thanks

Ricky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Firstly - she's a looker, really lovely dog!

I'm sorry for you that you have to make this terrible decision, it must be very hard. Really, the best thing to do is give her up for adoption (hard to hear, I know). Unless you can find a member of your family or a friend to take her it probably is the best thing to do. Dealing with fosters and/or kennels will probably just make the situation worse and cause stress for everyone involved. You can have full control as to how you go about it (rescue route, do it yourself etc.) and where she goes so that she will be in the best home possible.

Sometimes life doesn't work out the way it's supposed to and things come up but at least you are being realistic and doing the best thing you can by your dog. Obviously, it's a very hard decision to make but you need to think of what is best for the dog over everything else.

Hope you can get it all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I agree with lorebringer. Sorry to hear that you have to do this, I don't think it's something I could ever do. Fostering might be difficult in your case because presumably you're going away for years, not months.

But if you're considering fostering, then I think only family or a close friend would be suitable for this. If you come back after X years, then even if the foster doesn't want to give the dog back, then at least you know where she is and have regular access to her.

For the rehoming option, put the word out to friends and family first, perhaps even your neighbours. You'll find it much easier to rehome the dog if you know who she's going to and what they're like with dogs.

Something which may be comforting to you (though it doesn't make it any easier) is that she'll adapt much better to any new home, being a puppy. An older dog might not make the transition well at all.

Advertisement