Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter-Final Draw thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Tough quarter final for United - better than getting Barcelona, but Bayern scare me with their wingers. Ribery and Robben will be tough to contain!

Happy with the potential semi-final.

Now they have to get there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

davyjose wrote: »
    instead of 2 ;)

How would they guarantee that?;)

I'd actually only think Barca and United would beat either of the sides realistically. Other sides could but I'd be more than happy to have drawn Arsenal or Inter. Bayern or CSKA, yes please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

5starpool wrote: »
    Utd to get Bordeaux and then face the winners of Lyon and CSKA Moscow.

BLA, BLA...FLUCKING BLA. United get the lucky draws to the final alright :rolleyes:

United CL Champs 1999
    teams played - Munich x 3, Barcelona x 2, Inter x 2, Juventus x 2, Brondby x 2

United CL Champions 2008
    teams played - Roma x 4, Sporting x 2, Kiev x 2, Lyon x 2, Barcelona x 2, Chelsea

United CL Runners up 2009
    teams played - Villareal x 2, Celtic x 2, Aalborg x 2, Inter x 2, Porto x 2, Arsenal x 2, Barcelona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

orourkeda wrote: »
    Now they have to get there

They will, without a shadow of a doubt.

Des wrote: »
    The only thing that went against United is that they are home first in the Semi

Anyone would think that they are already in the semi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

JPA wrote: »
    Well that's United in a third final in a row.

No we must win the quarters and semis to get there first. Away with all this bs about easy draws and the likes

They will, without a shadow of a doubt.

I take it the deeds of your house are with Paddy Power

Anyone would think that they are already in the semi

They are, there is no doubt in my mind that they will prove too much for Bayern.

United are already in the Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    No we must win the quarters and semis to get there first. Away with all this bs about easy draws and the likes

But it is an easy draw. It'll take some fcuk up by United not to be playing in the Bernabeu come May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Ush1 wrote: »
    How would they guarantee that?;)

I'm only kidding, but i'd say the two French sides are possibly the 2 weakest sides left (maybe CSKA), either way, the likelihood an hour ago, IMO, was that neither would make the semis.

• Advertisement

They are, there is no doubt in my mind that they will prove too much for Bayern.

United are already in the Final.

Bayern should just give them the walkover so.

You know best

I'm only kidding, but i'd say the two French sides are possibly the 2 weakest sides left (maybe CSKA), either way, the likelihood an hour ago, IMO, was that neither would make the semis.

Totally wrong. Did you even watch Bords group, you do know Bayern was there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

p_larkin99 wrote: »

United will beat Bayern by 3 clear goals over the 2 legs and the same in the semi. Obviously I'm not stating fact, just giving my opinion.

Bayern should just give them the walkover so.

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Trilla wrote: »
    BLA, BLA...FLUCKING BLA. United get the lucky draws to the final alright :rolleyes:

United CL Champs 1999
    teams played - Munich x 3, Barcelona x 2, Inter x 2, Juventus x 2, Brondby x 2

United CL Champions 2008
    teams played - Roma x 4, Sporting x 2, Kiev x 2, Lyon x 2, Barcelona x 2, Chelsea

United CL Runners up 2009
    teams played - Villareal x 2, Celtic x 2, Aalborg x 2, Inter x 2, Porto x 2, Arsenal x 2, Barcelona

Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Lol I love when reporters slip up...Arselona...hehehehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Cant see it being a walkover against Bayern, they have a great threat from both wings and that troubles me

We will have to be on top of our game to beat them

Totally wrong. Did you even watch Bords group, you do know Bayern was there?

I'm totally wrong? Thanks for letting me know that.

A french team are guaranteed to be in the semis, and you think what? That if they'd been kept apart we'd have 2 French teams in the semis? More likely we'd have none. So yeah, I think the French did well drawing each other - from a french, neutral perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

IvySlayer wrote: »

noticed that too, thought it might be a bit immature to post though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

IvySlayer wrote: »

Sounds like a good name for the fixture though, that or Barcenal!

• Advertisement

I'm totally wrong? Thanks for letting me know that.

A french team are guaranteed to be in the semis, and you think what? That if they'd been kept apart we'd have 2 French teams in the semis? More likely we'd have none. So yeah, I think the French did well drawing each other - from a french, neutral perspective.

It's you're opinion, and strongly misguided as the evidence I pointed out suggested. You said the 2 weakest, possibly CSKA are weaker.

Bordeaux comfortably topped there group containing Juve and Bayern.
    Lyon beat and drew with Liverpool, also beat and drew with Real Madrid, again, relatively comfortably.

So yes, I think if the two French teams were seperated and didn't draw Barca or United they'd have more than a butchers chance with a sausage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Passes under 5 yards from the Arsenal - Barca quarter final - 523,417.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

gimmick wrote: »
    Thats a fun draw. Soem cracking ties there,and Barca Man U on opposite sides?

And Barca have home advantage for the 2nd leg both times should it transpire that way.

It's about time Gimmick, I'm sick of playing the big guns over two legs and having the 2nd leg away. Chelsea last year, Man United the year before, Liverpool the year before that, Chelsea again the year before that (albeit we got home advantage against Milan in the semi's).

Liam O wrote: »
    don't see why, Barca aren't known for their defensive stability ;)

I hope you're being sarcastic? Best team defensively in Europe this season.

Anyway, great draw for United, but that in itself could be their downfall, Bayern alebit not that good defensively, are well capable of scoring against United. They've looked fragile in defense at times, and Bayern have hit top form recently, and imo have a better all around attacking team than United. Van Bommel will be the key, can his dirty kick people around (he's a nastier and better version of Motta really) the pitch approach shackle the Rooneys/ Berbatovs.

As for Barca, hardest possible run to a final I can remember. Playing in a group where every team was domestic champions, and now the possibility of facing Arsenal, Inter, and United to retain it. I really don't see us winning the CL this year, but I'd love to teach Arsenal a footballing lesson. However I fear them more than any other team in the competition now (it'll be interesting to see who holds onto the ball better). I was hoping United would dispatch them before we would have to face them. Although it would be an absolute dream to retain the CL in the Bobby Brown of all places.

I'd say the QF tie is slighty in Barca's favour, but that's because we have home advantage for the 2nd leg, which can make all the difference. The key is scoring at the Emirates, as Chelsea found out to their detriment that a 0-0 draw away from home can be catastrophic. So this is what I want to see happen;

QF

Semi

Final

Here's hoping anyway..... :D:D:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I prefer Arse-Barce.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Just saying.

lol highlighting Villareal, Celtic, Roma and especially Lyon - these are tough enough games. Then leaving out the mighty Danish Brondby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol highlighting Villareal, Celtic, Roma and especially Lyon - these are tough enough games. Then leaving out the mighty Danish Brondby!

Nope, tis all relative young grasshopper. I didn't highlight Brondby because 1999 was indisputably difficult from start to finish. Ye had one cupcake, don't matter.

Bordeaux comfortably topped there group containing Juve and Bayern.
    Lyon beat and drew with Liverpool, also beat and drew with Real Madrid, again, relatively comfortably.

That's fair enough. I'm giving Bayern the edge on reputation. But Barca, United, Arsenal and Inter were avoided by the French teams. Plus they're guaranteed a team in the semi's. I think that's a fair enough outcome given the strength of French football. 2 French teams in the semi's, for me, is not very plausible.

That's fair enough. I'm giving Bayern the edge on reputation. But Barca, United, Arsenal and Inter were avoided by the French teams. Plus they're guaranteed a team in the semi's. I think that's a fair enough outcome given the strength of French football. 2 French teams in the semi's, for me, is not very plausible.

I'm guessing you don't watch much French football. But hey...

Looking forward to the Arsenal game. Should be a classic. Bendter to make a name for himself and a big transfer to Real awaits :)
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nope, tis all relative young grasshopper. I didn't highlight Brondby because 1999 was indisputably difficult from start to finish. Ye had one cupcake, don't matter.

Cupcakes and grasshoppers are my favourite cuisine.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    So this is what I want to see happen:

QF

Quite likely since that clown is still in goals for us!

Also, lol at the possibility of Ronaldo watching his old team mates play in his favourite boyhood stadium for the final. He'll be fairly depressed considering Rooney and co will have stepped out onto the field, and the next time he'll be doing that at the very earliest is a 2010/2011 pre season friendly. :D:D:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well, seems highly unlikely van Persie will be fit for either game... Nick Bendtner fancies himself as a bit of a rich man's Zlatan Ibrahimovic, let's see how many chances he can fluff ;)

I'm guessing you don't watch much French football. But hey...

No I don't watch a lot of it. But I stand by the fact they're not the strongest league in Europe.

Edit: I'm getting bored with arguing the merits of French football. You think they could have had 2 in the semi's, I think they've done well guaranteeing 1. C'est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

French League is not one of the strongest in Europe

Neither is the German league

Teams from those leagues can still cause problems on their day though

No I don't watch a lot of it. But I stand by the fact they're not the strongest league in Europe.

Haha, yes, because that's what you said originally. Outside of Barca and Man. United, they could beat the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Confident enough against Bayern although it will be tougher than Milan. Robben and Ribery, if fit will be a handful but their defence, particularly Butt in goals, are average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

What a good draw for United, we have a great chance of getting to the final now. I was hoping we would draw Bayern so I'm delighted. They are very suspect defensively and too reliant on their wingers. I see United squeezing them in possession and cutting off their supply to the wide men. Score draw in Germany and then a comfortable win at home. Bish bash bosh

Either of the French teams would be tricky but still easier than Barce, Arse or Inter.

The two serious worries for United are:
    -If Rooney is unable to play any game
    -Our right back, Nev/Raf are very likely to cost us at least one goal at some stage

As a neutral the Barcenal game is a mouth watering prospect and it all makes me suspect that the draw was rigged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I think Barca are worthy favs for the comp and I do not fear Arsenal over 2 legs at all. Having the second leg at home is a big plus and Barca could destroy Arsenal especially at Camp Nou. When 2 teams play a similar style, it often is a case of the best team going through which is undoubtably Barcelona.

Then more than likely Inter in the semi's. Barca have already played Inter twice in this years comp - an easy draw in Italy and an easy victory in Spain. Again Barca would be hot favs to progress. I disagree that this years draw is harder than last year for Barca. The Group was harder alright no doubt but the knockout stages have been kinder - Stuttgart, Arsenal, Inter (Moscow) this year compared to Lyon, Bayern and Chelsea last year with 2 of the second legs away last year. This year Barca have it a bit easier.

Regards the other half - Munich have 2 of the best wingers in the world but have a shake defense. They will cause problems but Utd should be too savvy for them and Utd to get through. The all-French quarter is a toss of a coin and they are capable of producing another shock in the semi.

Looks like a Utd-Barca final again but I wouldn't rule out the French just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Utd v Bayern sh6uld be a cracker ,will be no walkover for either team , Give the edge to Utd mainly because of the home 2nd leg.

Also cannot wait for the Arsenal v Barcelona games to be honest ,Think these two games will live up to the hype ,should be a great spectacle . Expecting alot for these two legs

Warper wrote: »
    I think Barca are worthy favs for the comp and I do not fear Arsenal over 2 legs at all. Having the second leg at home is a big plus and Barca could destroy Arsenal especially at Camp Nou. When 2 teams play a similar style, it often is a case of the best team going through which is undoubtably Barcelona.

Then more than likely Inter in the semi's. Barca have already played Inter twice in this years comp - an easy draw in Italy and an easy victory in Spain. Again Barca would be hot favs to progress. I disagree that this years draw is harder than last year for Barca. The Group was harder alright no doubt but the knockout stages have been kinder - Stuttgart, Arsenal, Inter (Moscow) this year compared to Lyon, Bayern and Chelsea last year with 2 of the second legs away last year. This year Barca have it a bit easier.

Regards the other half - Munich have 2 of the best wingers in the world but have a shake defense. They will cause problems but Utd should be too savvy for them and Utd to get through. The all-French quarter is a toss of a coin and they are capable of producing another shock in the semi.

Looks like a Utd-Barca final again but I wouldn't rule out the French just yet.

you're pretty quick to rule out Arsenal. I wouldn't be. I think Arsenal have a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

jasonorr wrote: »
    Quite likely since that clown is still in goals for us!
    Well, seems highly unlikely van Persie will be fit for either game... Nick Bendtner fancies himself as a bit of a rich man's Zlatan Ibrahimovic, let's see how many chances he can fluff ;)

It's such a horrible combination of your shìtest players at the moment at either end of the pitch. Maybe Bendtner will get some sort of hot streak going by the time of the CL games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Utds record against Bayern is poor (one win in 7) but I still fancy us because of the home second leg.
    Delighted Arsenal got a very tough draw. If they win the champ league they will have really earned it!

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's such a horrible combination of your shìtest players at the moment at either end of the pitch. Maybe Bendtner will get some sort of hot streak going by the time of the CL games.

He's on a hot streak now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Looking forward to the Arsenal game. Should be a classic. Bendter to make a name for himself and a big transfer to Real awaits :)

Cupcakes and grasshoppers are my favourite cuisine.

Real Betis maybe, the guy needs about 10 chances to score

Hoki wrote: »
    Real Betis maybe, the guy needs about 10 chances to score

That's a pretty good average!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

United/Bayern should be a good time, it always is. But as we (Bayern) are likely to be going in as underdogs we have a good shot at this. Our team is solid and have gone through this season without much defeats.

Our weak link is the defense. Lahm is world class, if not one of the top 5 defensive players at the moment. van Buyten is brilliant, too, and should be able to hussle enough to frustrate Rooney, but he'll need to be Rooney's shadow. He's also so tall that it should stop Valencia from getting crosses that meet any United frontmen's head.

The Bayern midfield and wing prospect is good. I think United will spend 20 minutes shadowing Robben and Ribery... but both players always do much better when surrounded by 3 defenders. They seem to relish the chance to get past or knock a sneaky cross in, so I'm not to worried about that. While the United defense watch those two they'll likely under-estimate Gomez who should knock a few behind the goal. Schweinsteiger is a threat to goal as well as a good man to stop any balls being fed to Rooney. Plus van Bommel is amazing when he shows up - and so far this season he's only really shown up in big CL clashes... and scored against Fiorentina (a cracker too).

Either way, I think it's a fairly evenly matched game and a good one. Mouth-watering to any neutrals, scary for any fans of either side. It's going to be rough for Bayern to play away for the second leg.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Utds record against Bayern is poor (one win in 7)

You also never scored at the San Siro in your history, but this year managed to score 3. I wouldn't fret those kind of stats mate.

It'll be interesting to watch all the United fans hurling abuse at Van Bommel, because he is inevitably going to hurt Rooney, a number of times....

I'm predicting a repeat of last years final and result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Great draw for United

Can see a repeat of last years final, only with a different outcome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Pretty surprised at people predicting United will stroll to the final. yes they got the easier side of the draw on paper but Munich are a decent side especially in this competition and especially against United.

Either way I think United will get found out eventually. I don't think they're good enough to win the CL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement