Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter-Final Draw thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

jasonorr wrote: »
    He's on a hot streak now!!!

lol I knew you were going to say that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

flahavaj wrote: »
    Pretty surprised at people predicting United will stroll to the final. yes they got the easier side of the draw on paper but Munich are a decent side especially in this competition and especially against United.

Either way I think United will get found out eventually. I don't think they're good enough to win the CL.

No team is looking that amazing tbf. Utd could beat anyone on their day, plus we are hitting form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Im going to sneak a few quid on Arsenal to beat barca. Should be a great game to watch and if Arsenals flair players play to the best of their ability then they could cause barca some serious problems. Fabregas has a great chance to stake his place for a starting position in the world cup. Im not for a second saying Arsenal are as good as barca man for man or even collectively but on top form they are capable of playing some magnificent stuff and if they were to sneak a lead who knows. They will go in as serious underdogs but i just think Wengers footballing philosophy could win out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ All fair points apart from the footballing philosophy part. pep and Wenger have more or less the same philosophy on how the game is played, so cannot see that being a determining factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Pro. F wrote: »

why lol? Bentdner has got 7 in his last 6 matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

jacool wrote: »
    Yep, we are !
    2009 Last 16 Inter QF Porto
    2008 Last 16 Lyon QF Roma
    2007 Last 16 Lille QF Roma
    2006 NQ
    2005 Last 16 AC Milan QF NQ
    Yes, world beaters all. Thanks for showing me my delusions !
    Lyon have won what exactly ?

Apologies, its not delusion, it seems you don't understand how the Champions League draw works.

We won our group. Out of the teams that we could get, Lyon and Inter were the hardest possible teams. It only looks easy because we consistantly win our groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

flahavaj wrote: »
    I don't think they're good enough to win the CL.

Barca are the only ones left that I would legitimately put as favourites over you.

Inter might prove a problem, given the Mourinho factor, but that's it.

and you're only playing them in the final if you both get there.

and anything is possible in a one-off game.

this is as good a chance as Utd are likely to get to win another CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

why lol? Bentdner has got 7 in his last 6 matches.

I was only loling because I knew I had left myself open to that. What I mean by a hot streak is that when the game comes around that he is looking really clinical and you always fancy him to convert his chances (maybe you think he looks so already?). I do rate him but I feel he'll need to be in the form of his life so far to the job for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pro. F wrote: »

hey dont bad mouth bendtner

edit I see pro wasnt exactly bashing him, so ill let ya off this time pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

These draws are so rigged I just wish I knew how they did it but anyway...good games announced.

I'm delighted United got Bayern as I don't rate them. They struggled to get out of their group and were beaten by Bordeaux home and away (including 2-0 at home). Yes I know they have improved a lot since then, especially domestically, but they looked shaky against Fiorentina. I can't see that team going to Old Trafford on a big European night and being able to produce a performance. United are also in by far the easiest section of the draw. Brilliant opportunity to get to the final again which I didn't think was possible at the start of the season. Happy days.

Arsenal/Barca is the tie of the round but I worry about Arsenal's chances at the back. If they were up against any other team I think they'd be OK but I can see Messi, Pedro and co. giving Vermaelen, Gallas etc nightmares. Should be terrific football on show though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Arsenal/Barca is the tie of the round but I worry about Arsenal's chances at the back. If they were up against any other team I think they'd be OK but I can see Messi, Pedro and co. giving Vermaelen, Gallas Silvestre/Campbell etc nightmares. Should be terrific football on show though.

I think that's more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think that's more accurate.

Will he still be out? That's a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Dont you just love how tactical football is. I love debating the strengths and weaknesses of teams pitted against each other in the latter stages of the CL KO rounds. It's fascinating really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

For all the posters that think that Bayern will take united over 2 legs, you do realise they should be out.The winning goal they got at home was a mile off side and Fiorintena arent any great shakes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I believe this draw is a fix to get another Man U v Barca final, with Barca getting the tougher side of the draw because they are more likely than United to make it through.

Is it okay to believe that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

For all the posters that think that Bayern will take united over 2 legs, you do realise they should be out.The winning goal they got at home was a mile off side and Fiorintena arent any great shakes

but sure that game is over, every game is different

Chelsea should have beaten Barca last year in the semi final

Barca should never have been in the final but it didnt stop them spanking us around the pitch did it?

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I believe this draw is a fix to get another Man U v Barca final, with Barca getting the tougher side of the draw because they are more likely than United to make it through.

Is it okay to believe that?

of course

it is also ok to believe in the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, santa claus and some bloke named jesus who died for your sins

doesnt make it real, but no harm in believing it as long as it makes you happy and you tolerate others beliefs

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Barcelona should of been well out after last season's semi against chelsea, they weren't the rest is history.
    This paper-rock-scissors approach to football forecasting is very childish, Liverpool beat United 2-0 earlier in the season, United beat AC Milan 4-0 does that mean Liveprool would beat AC Milan 6-0? no, Is it an idication? not really.

Ever game has to be looked at on it's own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Arsenal i think might be worth a punt or two though am sure their odds were higher pre-season.They have a high energy football that Barca might not be able to cope with, maybe.I would be happy with an Arsenal win there if it took their eye of the league tbh. :D

kryogen wrote: »
    of course

it is also ok to believe in the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, santa claus and some bloke named jesus who died for your sins

doesnt make it real, but no harm in believing it as long as it makes you happy and you tolerate others beliefs

It doesn't make me happy at all, but i guess it's inevitable with the money floating around football nowadays.

• Advertisement

not inevitable

possible, but not inevitable

dont see how it would not make more sense to give united Lyon in this round and let them play a winner of Bordeux or CSKA in the semi since they are perceieved to be the weakest of the teams left

if i was fixing it to give united the best possible chance of making the final that is certainly the draw that would appeal to me most anyway

probably would have ensured an easier opponent then AC Milan in the second round too though, someone like Olympiakos maybe? Stuttgart or Porto even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Wow United are poxed. Some draw for them in fairness.
    Dream draw for Utd
    Pretty much perfect run to the final for United.
    The only thing that went against United is that they are home first in the Semi
    Nice draw for Utd as usual.
    Oh dear United given the easy route again as usual

I so dearly hope that Bayern will make you eat those words. What an arrogant bunch.

Boskowski wrote: »
    I so dearly hope that Bayern will make you eat those words. What an arrogant bunch.

eh, id wager that most of them are not from united fans actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

eh, id wager that most of them are not from united fans actually

I noticed that. My post wasn't a dig at Utd just at those statements.

So you made a post that was not directed at United fans but was disguised as so ??? Quality.

Stewie_griffin.jpg

not inevitable

possible, but not inevitable

dont see how it would not make more sense to give united Lyon in this round and let them play a winner of Bordeux or CSKA in the semi since they are perceieved to be the weakest of the teams left

if i was fixing it to give united the best possible chance of making the final that is certainly the draw that would appeal to me most anyway

probably would have ensured an easier opponent then AC Milan in the second round too though, someone like Olympiakos maybe? Stuttgart or Porto even?

Perhaps because Man U against Bayern is a huge game and the all French tie holds a lot of interest too. They seem to me to be more interesting ties than say CSKA vs Bayern and Man U vs Lyon.

Perhaps because Man U against Bayern is a huge game and the all French tie holds a lot of interest too. They seem to me to be more interesting ties than say CSKA vs Bayern and Man U vs Lyon.

i would be happy to discuss this topic in full with you

but i suggest we move it to the Conspiracy Theory forum?

:)

i would be happy to discuss this topic in full with you

but i suggest we move it to the Conspiracy Theory forum?

:)

Lol, if i get a burst of energy tomorrow i will start one up outlining my reasons why i think it's fixed.

I saw one there about Irelands EURO 2012 qualification group being rigged, so why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wasn't the results of a draw put up online before within the last couple of years before it actually happened?

Lol, if i get a burst of energy tomorrow i will start one up outlining my reasons why i think it's fixed.

I saw one there about Irelands EURO 2012 qualification group being rigged, so why not.

if you do it let me know and ill come along for the laugh

i guarantee you will get some seriously detailed responses to it!

but i reckon it will be david ickes fault in the end, or barak obama maybe

could be fun

• Advertisement

Twas Alan , Liverpool echo, someone linked to earlier here,the thought that they can/do heat certain balls is quite possible considering the chances of United not meeting Barca in knock out since we did knock them out would be decent priced.CT thread maybe for that though ...

d22ontour wrote: »
    Twas Alan , Liverpool echo, someone linked to earlier here,the thought that they can/do heat certain balls is quite possible considering the chances of United not meeting Barca in knock out since we did knock them out would be decent priced.CT thread maybe for that though ...

we knocked Barca out 2 seasons ago

its hardly been 10, or even 5 seasons in a row that we have avoided them

did they maybe forget to heat the balls 2 years ago?

i hope someone got fired for that one anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yet again, mediocre Inter drop more points. To people thinking this is a great side, honestly take another look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yet again, mediocre Inter drop more points. To people thinking this is a great side, honestly take another look.

+1 Inter are the best of a bad lot in the scottish i mean italian league!. Only need to look at juve losing to fulham to realise how bad a league it is.

BERBA wrote: »
    +1 Inter are the best of a bad lot in the scottish i mean italian league!. Only need to look at juve losing to fulham to realise how bad a league it is.

they did actually beat Fulham in Italy, quite well too

and the sending off had a lot to do with the result in England tbh

To call Inter mediocre just shows your deeply flawed thought process tbh

they are not the best team in europe, but to call them mediocre is beyond ridiculous

what are Chelsea out of interest? are they worse then mediocre then?

To call Inter mediocre just shows your deeply flawed thought process tbh

they are not the best team in europe, but to call them mediocre is beyond ridiculous

what are Chelsea out of interest? are they worse then mediocre then?

My thought process is deeply flawed how exactly? There's is certainly nothing "special" about this Inter side, and most Italian press agree despite their CL progress.

I would describe Chelsea as a good team who put on a worse than mediocre display against Inter at Stamford bridge.

See, it actually shows how flawed your thought process is that you mention Chelsea, you're basing one game. I'm judging Inter on a season, compared to other potential CL winners. Again, over the season.

they did actually beat Fulham in Italy, quite well too

and the sending off had a lot to do with the result in England tbh

Fulham were very unlucky in Italy.

Sending off always effects games but it's endemic of Juves season.

My thought process is deeply flawed how exactly? There's is certainly nothing "special" about this Inter side, and most Italian press agree despite their CL progress.

I would describe Chelsea as a good team who put on a worse than mediocre display against Inter at Stamford bridge.

See, it actually shows how flawed your thought process is that you mention Chelsea, you're basing one game. I'm judging Inter on a season, compared to other potential CL winners. Again, over the season.

you seriously have issues with twisting things, or you just miss the point due to stupidity, apologies if its the latter

your thought process is deeply flawed because you see Inter dropping points, (in the next league match after a massive away european night) as evidence of them being mediocre, there are other possibilities, and if you are judging Inter over a season, it still makes no sense to call them mediocre as they are top of the league, maybe your just confused? or an angry little man?

i have already stated my opinion on Inter

i have not said there is anything special about Inter so again, thats all in your head

are you this bitter in all areas of your life or do you just vent it on here?

• Advertisement

you seriously have issues with twisting things, or you just miss the point due to stupidity, apologies if its the latter

your thought process is deeply flawed because you see Inter dropping points, (in the next league match after a massive away european night) as evidence of them being mediocre, there are other possibilities, and if you are judging Inter over a season, it still makes no sense to call them mediocre as they are top of the league, maybe your just confused? or an angry little man?

i have already stated my opinion on Inter

i have not said there is anything special about Inter so again, thats all in your head

are you this bitter in all areas of your life or do you just vent it on here?

Haha, what would I be bitter about?

Pretty funny mentioning twisting and missing points and you ask me a bunch of things about my personal life? Excellent.

I believe you are the one confused. Mediocre as I said, judging them against other possible CL winning contenders. You must just stop reading part the way through posts or something.

Also, as I said I'm judging them over a season and also watched the game tonight. To anyone who seen it, this side, is clearly nothing special despite being the top of Serie A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Inter wont win champo league , they not good enough

I believe you are the one confused. Mediocre as I said, judging them against other possible CL winning contenders. You must just stop reading part the way through posts or something.
    Also, as I said I'm judging them over a season and also watched the game tonight. To anyone who seen it, this side, is clearly nothing special despite being the top of Serie A.

sigh

thats the whole post

BERBA wrote: »
    Inter wont win champo league

i agree

sigh

thats the whole post

Yes, yes it is. Did you check the title of this thread by any chance? "sigh"

Yes, yes it is. Did you check the title of this thread by any chance? "sigh"

can i ask you a serious question

this will determine how i handle you in the future, how old are you?

• Advertisement

What's that got to do with anything? Isn't this where you say something about avoidance or deflecting or missing the point??

sure you know yourself what you do i guess

anyways, welcome to my ignore list

take care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

sure you know yourself what you do i guess

anyways, welcome to my ignore list

take care

Tedious new gimmick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Sounding very much like..
    Mr Alan wrote:
    The answer to this question will determine the course this conversation is gonna take . . . . Wat age are you?

Sounding very much like..

nice observation?

(we are in fact the same person actually)

• Advertisement
Advertisement