Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom offer-dundalk

• 19-03-2010 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hi all, first post in this forum (i think) so be gently with me :). i had two guys from eircom call to me this evening with a new offer they are trying in dundalk.

7 mb line,no cap,no line rental,free line connection,no cap. 16-1 contention. unlimited local and national calls to landline,30 mins free to mobiles then 21.91 per min after that.

this is for 36.37 per month. I am currently on IBB with a 2mb wireless connection with no cap at 46 p/m.

I had a rush of blood to the head and signed up. now i am worried that it sounds too good to be true. has anyone heard of this new deal?

the salesguy mentioned that eircom had been taken over by someone else (i forget who) but i had not heard that. of course he also said that IBB were cutting off exsiting customers to make them sign up for wi max. I read a thread here recently which put me off wi max.

so...did i do the right thing? what would you have done? advise would be great here but keep it simple cos i am not a techie :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

I'd get everything in writing before hand. Just checked the latest bitstream price list and there is a promotion running from the 23rd Mar - June. The 7Mb product is €33 (still with its 50gb cap / 48:1 contention). I'd be wary that the price offered is only for the promotion period and the price would revert to its old one after june. Smells like the usual crap from the eircom winback team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is no such deal, you just signed up to pay them €70 odd a month for 12 months unless your line was actually disconnected for 12 month plus in which case they discount €26 line rental for 10 of those 12 months.

You could get 7mbits and OFFPEAK calls for €37 a month in that case....yes. Not peak calls.

Don't tell me an eircom salesman arrived at your door :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did they not leave you a copy of what you signed?

Ring Eircom and ask them exactly what the offer is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That sounds like a total crock of the proverbial.

I'd be calling eircom fairly sharpish to sort that out. Also, if you signed up to pay with direct debit, you might consider getting on to the bank to cancel whatever monthly charge had been set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

ok, let me clarify. my eircom line has been disconnected for about 3 years. the documentation i have is for home plus 7mb with talktime chatter included for 36.37 per month.10 month contract with free line rental but when contract runs out he could not say if the line rental applies.

calls are off peak,should have mentioned that in my op. so what do you think? will i get the speeds they promise? at 16/1 contention?

• Advertisement

just off the phone with eircom. they confirmed what the sales rep told me :D:D.

guy on phone must have thought i was a bit strange asking questions i knew the answer to. :o

will update you when i have it all up and running

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

soups05 wrote: »
    ok, let me clarify. my eircom line has been disconnected for about 3 years. the documentation i have is for home plus 7mb with talktime chatter included for 36.37 per month.10 month contract with free line rental but when contract runs out he could not say if the line rental applies.

I told you what happens, after 10 months it goes up by €26 a month. The overall contract is 12 months.

Check the T&Cs carefully on talktime chatter ,

Off peak is after 7pm not after 6 but landlines calls are free on all talktime packages after 7pm if they do not exceed an hour and all day sat and sun.

Up to 7Mb broadband & eircom talktime chatter

• Up to 7Mb broadband
    • FREE national & Local calls off-peak
    • 30 FREE any network mobile minutes off-peak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

just off the phone with eircom. they confirmed what the sales rep told me :D:D.

guy on phone must have thought i was a bit strange asking questions i knew the answer to. :o

will update you when i have it all up and running

after the 10 months you go to full rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

7 mb line,no cap,no line rental,free line connection,no cap. 16-1 contention. unlimited local and national calls to landline,30 mins free to mobiles then 21.91 per min after that.

To add to the other warnings just above, eircom do have a cap on all their products. As of yet, I am unaware of any enforcement of this cap, but it is there none the less.

The free line rental is a good offer, as it saves you money, but their call package is only good if you actually use the phone a lot, and only then if you adhere to the conditions they apply to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

calls are off peak,should have mentioned that in my op. so what do you think? will i get the speeds they promise? at 16/1 contention?

There are no products with 16:1 contentions. The 7Mb/672Kbps package is 12:1 and the 7Mb/384kbps is 48:1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I told you what happens, after 10 months it goes up by €26 a month. The overall contract is 12 months.

Check the T&Cs carefully on talktime chatter ,

Off peak is after 7pm not after 6 but landlines calls are free on all talktime packages after 7pm if they do not exceed an hour and all day sat and sun.

Up to 7Mb broadband & eircom talktime chatter

• Up to 7Mb broadband
    • FREE national & Local calls off-peak
    • 30 FREE any network mobile minutes off-peak

did eircom change their off-peak to 7pm from 6pm as well? last i heard it was 8am to 6pm peak and 6pm onwards off peak for calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

It depends on what package you are on. I changed to a new call package in January and only notice the change to 7pm on my March bill. I phoned them about it and told them that I wasn't told about the change so they said they would refund me for any calls I made between 6pm and 7pm for the last 3 months. Another thing to note when you change packages that you don't get free mailbox on their new packages. Again I wasn't told about this when I switched. Another refund due.

ok quick update for you. got a txt from eircom on the 19th march to say my phone line was ready. connected phone but got a busy signal.

reported a fault and it took a week to repair.

connected modem and no broadband. lots of calls later and it seems they had to reconnect my line at the exchange and re order my broadband. willbe connected on the 27th.

thank god i did not cancel ibb yet. i think this is something i will regret doing :o (going back to eircom that is)

Advertisement