Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool/Sunday 21st March/KO 13:30 (Mod note: Post #1 & #770)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Who was driving that train - John Terry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Legendary opening post.

All logic points to a United win which means that naturally the complete opposite will happen. Vidic to be ruthlessly exposed again.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I predict a Pool victory.

Pool look back in business.

Vida red, Torres hat-trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

these opening threads are becoming very sophisticated , it's becoming an art in itself. There is the danger of spending a lot of time creating one only for the thread to have opened already though :(

syngindub wrote: »
    these opening threads are becoming very sophisticated , it's becoming an art in itself. There is the danger of spending a lot of time creating one only for the thread to have opened already though :(

You should be safe if you post your Man United v Chelsea one tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

thats why i never start one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Actually now that I look even closer, does anyone else see what appears to be a state trooper getting a good auld bumming from his colleague?

train.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Tough one to call. Will Ferguson try to play it tight, which has failed in the last three attempts, or will he go all out? Similarly will Benitez stick Lucas in the middle with Mascherano, or surprise us by playing the more adventurous Aquilani?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i trust Liverpool's midfield to limit Utd's control of the game.

i trust Torres to cause Utd's defense problems if he's given any opportunities to do so.

i trust Pep to make all the saves expected of him, and maybe one or two world class ones if needed.

i even trust Gerrard to put in a shift in this one.

however, i do not trust our CBs to deal with Rooney.

i do not trust Insua defensively against Nani/Valencia.

i predict an ugly enough game to be honest; and i'm sitting firmly on the fence in terms of the result at the moment. i'm leaning towards a draw though, an uncommon enough recent result for between these teams IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pool to win 2-0

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Pool to win 2-0

Put those trips back in yr wallet son. United to win, no question... the league is ours again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Slightly off topic but **** me this is one hell of a sports weekend I counted 11 games I want to watch live between Premier League, 6 Nations and La Liga, I'm going to drink all the booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Put those trips back in yr wallet son. United to win, no question... the league is ours again.

Hope so

Trilla wrote: »
    Hope so

If not, I'm €300 out of pocket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

Im heading over to rhis one , i cannot wait for it..Utd to win very comfortably...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

G'wan the draw

CHD wrote: »
    G'wan the draw

would you not prefer united to lose?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hope United drop points but dont really want liverpool to get 4th place either.
    But as an Arsenal supporter I have to cheer for a liverpool win (I feel dirty!:()

kryogen wrote: »
    would you not prefer united to lose?
    Obv but it won't happen. At least be realistic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You used to be cool.

• Advertisement

there is acually a very realistic chance of them winning tbh

There is f*cking NO chance that the Pool are gonna win this game. None. I will eat my laptop if they do. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

There is f*cking NO chance that the Pool are gonna win this game. None. I will eat my laptop if they do. Seriously.

Well thats that settled anyway. Easy Liverpool win.:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    Well thats that settled anyway. Easy Liverpool win.:pac:

Searches google for recipies on how to cook a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Not looking forward to this. United are favourites for obvious reasons but nothing would surprise me.

Not looking forward to this. United are favourites for obvious reasons but nothing would surprise me.

A pitch invasion by the 1974 German team vs Holland's 1994 line-up. I bet that would surprise ya. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

HowardWebb.JPG

Sunday's referee taking his photo for Sky's build-up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

^^^^^searched Howard Webb and United into Google and came across this fantastic thread on RAWK, maybe you should post in that thread instead :p
    http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=255316.0

mayordenis wrote: »
    You used to be cool.
    Ok I will stop talking crap.

C'mon Liverpool.

Torres to exploit his bitch Vidic and give pool a 2-0 win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Here's hoping Rio keeps Torres quiet so we can wheel out this classic:

picture.php?albumid=112&pictureid=396

I am quite uneasy about this game in all honesty. I wish Michael was fit for this as I could see him doing what he did in the Manchester derby and bagging a late winner. :cool:

Fletcher I think will be hugely important in this one. He didn't feature in the 4-1 result last season but I'm sure he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet this time.

I think United will win it by a goal but I expect a few scares.

Interesting one this for City fans. One of the rare times I imagine they will be rooting for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I remember last years game where Rio started marking torres and decided that he'd had enough and offloaded him to vidic who was having a stormer of a season, we all know what happened next. But seriously vidic will need to exercise he demon soon but hopefully it'll be Serbia vs Spain. Too close to call for either side but I suspect a winner 2-1, head says Utd Heart says Liverpool... Come on the pool..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    But seriously vidic will need to exercise he demon soon but hopefully it'll be Serbia vs Spain.

Does he need to take him for a walk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I wanna see an all-out 4-4-2 formation, the big dogs Rooney and Berba up top, Valencia on the right and err..... Park I guess, on the left, Scholes and err..... Carrick I guess in the centre. Pat, Vida (:() and Rio pick themselves, and Gary Neville at RB, cos he hates scousers.

If I were to represent this formation diagramatically, I suppose it would look a bit like this:

VDS
    Neville
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Carrick---Paulie-Scholes-scores-goals
    Valencia
    Park

Roonatov

United 10-0 Liverpool
    Vidic red card
    For second bookable offense, after taking off his shirt to celebrate his goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ferguson loves to play 3 CMs in big matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

being totally honest i see United winning this, them being beaten quite comprehensively in the last 2 games has got to have hurt em and its something they'll desperately want to rectify. In saying that, i wouldn't be surprised either way. Could also be a bore draw wit both teams prefering not to lose at this stage of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't think either team can afford to be missing out on 2 points Al, I'd say it'll be a good'un !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Liverpool by a 2 goal margin 2-0 or 3-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm heading over to this as well and am uneasy. I think I'd prefer to see the 4-5-1 formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I don't think there is going to be much doubt about Uniteds teams. It will be 4-5-1 starting the game without a doubt. The only place in the team I'm not sure of is right back, and possible if Park will be fitted in somewhere but I doubt it. I'll go for Rafeal was I don't Liverpool have anyone on the left that can hurt us that much, and Rafeal + Valenica against Liverpools left hand side looks a good area to attack for me.

VDS
    Rafeal---Rio
    Vidic---Evra
    Carrick

Fletcher
    Scholes----
    -Valenica
    Nani--
    Rooney

Park may come in for Nani on the left, I know he done a good job in the center against Milan, but that was to nullify Pirlo sitting deep. Liverpool don't have anyone that good sitting that deep. More than likely it will be Masch and Lucas, so cutting off their short passes further forward is the key. Carrick will probably be asked to sit deep and stay around Gerrards area, and rather than try mark him, he will be more interested in cutting off the supply to him.

As we have seen Valencia, Nani, Rooney offer plenty of threat going forward, especially when backed up by the fullbacks. Valenica shown early in the season that he can get at Insua, he just didn't seem to have the confidence to do it enough (first big game for United) he should be full of confidence by now.

Rio, and Vidic need to have a big game, they have had a couple of clean sheets since being restored to the side and will need another at the weekend.

I really don't know which way it will go, but I always back United to win at home, so I'm going for a 2-0, with an early and late goal from Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon Liverpool will raise their game and united will fail to respond, apart from Fletcher and Rooney. Oh, and vidic will get sent off for the third time running. 2-1 liverpool imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Jesus, ever the optimist Mitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

lolz :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mitch any chance of a rant please, we usually always win after one of your epic rants :-P

Spud83 wrote: »
    Jesus, ever the optimist Mitch.

have to stay true to form.

i've got my rant about the team lineup pre-written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Liam O wrote: »
    ^^^^^searched Howard Webb and United into Google and came across this fantastic thread on RAWK, maybe you should post in that thread instead :p
    http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=255316.0
    I feel remarkably stupid after reading some of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Mr Alan wrote: »
    being totally honest i see United winning this, them being beaten quite comprehensively in the last 2 games has got to have hurt em and its something they'll desperately want to rectify. In saying that, i wouldn't be surprised either way. Could also be a bore draw wit both teams prefering not to lose at this stage of the season.

I reckon there will be goals in this game. Liverpool the last 2 years have tactically outdone United. IMO United will go 4-3-3 and Liverpool will play Lucas and Masch in midfield. Goals for both teams but if United don't boss midfield it will be yet another Liverpool win I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Utd win i reckon. Fergie will not want to lose another one to the scousers this year.Liverpool at 9/2 to win on PP. Thats surely worth a punt for the optimistic pool fan ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

screw Rooney, Fletcher is the key man in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Hope 'Pool win for obvious reasons. It'll be up to Mascherano to cut out the service to Rooney.

SlickRic wrote: »
    screw Rooney, Fletcher is the key man in this one.

In terms of us actually competing in midfield, yes. In terms of us actually scoring (and thus being able to win the game) the pressure is on Rooney

• Advertisement
Advertisement