Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool/Sunday 21st March/KO 13:30 (Mod note: Post #1 & #770)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

kryogen wrote: »
    Rooney isnt great at the moment

:confused:

Yeah, he scored and leading the line for united, got more then 20 goals this season, including 4 in 2 games against AC milan - or do you mean he's just been quiet for a couple of minutes during a this game of football - either way im going to advise you to watch more football in a stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Great by Valencia!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

PHB wrote: »
    Can I ask why its ok for Benetiz to question the decision that it should have been a penalty, but its not ok for Fergie to question the decision that it should have been a yellow card.

Ever heard of double standards?

I may be wrong, and I am not going to look for it now, but did you not say earlier that you thought it should be a free and a yellow? If so, how can you make that statement? If not, then I have the wrong lad, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Love when Gerrard gets robbed after dwindling on the ball and screams at someone else straight away

captain fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I and plenty others remember the incident in question, and myself and Xavi were two of the few who argued the peno against Richards should have been a free.

I think it's a valid question to ask.

It would be if the situations were similar TRO but no part of this offence occurred in the box, you can argue that it could have been a free where the offence started but not that the two situations are the same as they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Gerrard has been caught so many times in posession. Just doesn't look like he cares.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Xavi6 wrote: »
    There was no dig. It's easier to empathise with a situation if you have been on the receiving end of it, that was the point.

And yes, the incidents were similar.

Not everyone is out to get you. Defensive much?

No it wasn't. Your point was to take a dig at someone, who I don't know as you just sai 'people'. If every fan brought up a random unrelated game every time anything happened and started asking everyone 'how do you like it now it's happened to you', then every thread would descend into farce.

I'm not sure what the last comment even means tbh, I never made any comment about the random man city related incident you are talking about. So why would I be defensive? I only commented when I saw your farcical, hypocritical warning to someone to lose the 'attitude'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

There's the benefit of the crowd right there. Those "NO!" screams were funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looks like the calm before the storm here.

Carrick has tried some Hollywood passes today, none come off yet, he needs to just do the simple thing for a bit, get into the game and then play the killer ball when he is up to the pace of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The 'penalty' is just so frustrating the more I think about it. Start well, take the lead, and then have the momentum snatched away from you right away through some horrendous refereeing. Intensely irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Hey, I agree. But you should quote this post at the end of the game when whatever set of fans lose they say the game would have been different if the penalty wasn't given.

I think there is quite a difference regarding the influence on a game between giving penalties that aren't penalties and not giving a yellow card for an off the ball incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

5starpool wrote: »
    I may be wrong, and I am not going to look for it now, but did you not say earlier that you thought it should be a free and a yellow? If so, how can you make that statement? If not, then I have the wrong lad, sorry.

I was responding to a comment that it was disgraceful for Fergie to go up to the ref and complain. Managers are entitled to complain about decisions, irrespective of whether or not they are right. My opinion on the matter is frankly irrelavant becuase as much as I try, I'm not the authorative source on football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

copacetic wrote: »
    No it wasn't. Your point was to take a dig at someone, who I don't know as you just sai 'people'. If every fan brought up a random unrelated game every time anything happened and started asking everyone 'how do you like it now it's happened to you', then every thread would descend into farce.

I'm not sure what the last comment even means tbh, I never made any comment about the random man city related incident you are talking about. So why would I be defensive? I only commented when I saw your farcical, hypocritical warning to someone to lose the 'attitude'.

It was a salient point about a very similar incident. To call it irrelevant is completely disingenuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Gerrard has been caught so many times in posession. Just doesn't look like he cares.

Pretty much the way he has been all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

copacetic wrote: »

It wasn't a dig or anything of the sort, but you have taken it that way.

And it's not unrelated because a free kick should have awarded in both instances so there is obviously a flaw in the rules.

EDIT: My point about being defensive was in regard to you taking it as a dig.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I think there is quite a difference regarding the influence on a game between giving penalties that aren't penalties and not giving a yellow card for an off the ball incident.

Like you said yourself, who knows? Frankly, if you offered me a goal or Mascherano being sent off, I woulda picked Mascherano off.

The point that we don't know what happens, pretty much applies to everything.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The 'penalty' is just so frustrating the more I think about it. Start well, take the lead, and then have the momentum snatched away from you right away through some horrendous refereeing. Intensely irritating.

he was a good bit away from it though wasnt he?

i think it was a tough call anyway, having seen it on tv it should have been a free obviously, but i have to cut the ref some slack

sure i suppose i would though

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I was responding to a comment that it was disgraceful for Fergie to go up to the ref and complain. Managers are entitled to complain about decisions, irrespective of whether or not they are right. My opinion on the matter is frankly irrelavant becuase as much as I try, I'm not the authorative source on football.

okey doke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A bit lacklustre, come on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Wasn't a penalty, could have been a red card though.2 similar type incidents this season like that too.All 3 wrongly awarded penalties too imo.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It wasn't a dig or anything of the sort, but you have taken it that way.

And it's not unrelated because a free kick should have awarded in both instances so there is obviously a flaw in the rules.

is this not off topic

its a match thread lads

sorry to only quote you Xavi but you were the last i saw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

fuk sake gerrard, if your strike partner is going up for a ball to knock it on, just make the fuking run in case he wins it - dont just walk around and look surprised when he knocks it into a great area of space YOU should have been attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Park is like a lost child in a shopping centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

It's not the fact that he questioned anything. It's how he did it, racing out making a card gesture.

In fact, how is doing that questioning anything? it's more akin to an instruction.

Im not going to argue if it was or wasn't a peno - It was certainly a foul and valencia went down in the box, was it a peno? I've seen them given but, strictly speaking it was a tad harsh. With that said, you can see how angry masceranos team mates were at him - carragher shoved him with that big angry red head he gets, meaning his own team knew he did wrong...

Park is not the man ye want on the end of a header.

Aww sh1te, is that a jinx now?

park is class in the air, I hope he does not get another chance, guaranteed goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Valencia is the best conventional winger in the league. Just love how even though defenders always know he'll try beat you and go down the outside, he can still find a way to do it and get a cross in.

All the chances falling to Park :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

We need Berbatov on.

i think it was a tough call anyway, having seen it on tv it should have been a free obviously, but i have to cut the ref some slack

Very easy to be philosophical / objective about the incident when it amounts to a 'get out of jail free' card for your team. In fairness to yourself, you can see that.

I would suggest that it is difficult to give the benefit of the doubt to a referee with the recent history of Webb, but that is another matter entirely of course.

At the end of the day, this is yet another incident where justice could be achieved through a simple replay review system. Ho hum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Would you if it was the other way around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

doc_17 wrote: »
    don't like the look of the kit pool have on them today!
    I was only saying that now... Reina's kit is horrible... Why 3rd kit? They coulda gone with the white....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Hope to see Babel on at half time for Maxi.

I feel dirty :(

Mascherano will probably get sent off.

• Advertisement

i actually hate seeing us have corners and free kicks

we must be the most wasteful team in the league with them

ragg wrote: »
    Im not going to argue if it was or wasn't a peno - It was certainly a foul and valencia went down in the box, was it a peno? I've seen them given but, strictly speaking it was a tad harsh. With that said, you can see how angry masceranos team mates were at him - carragher shoved him with that big angry red head he gets, meaning his own team knew he did wrong...

Nope.

I wish Scholes was on. Rooney is having to do his role at times when he needs to be in the box. Don't think Carrick is up to it.

?..but it obviously wasn't a penalty, there is no argument about it...for there to be a penalty, there must be a foul in the box - there was none. Wouldn't pay too much heed to what Carra did, he's a hot head, and the pen had already been given at that stage, i'd be very surprised if he saw more then we did with our many many replays.

i actually hate seeing us have corners and free kicks

we must be the most wasteful team in the league with them

i think thats us tbh!

• Advertisement

Nope.

Then why did his own team mate get so angry with him that he pushed him??

It was a foul, and the player was brought down in the box - They are given more then often then not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Liverpool are making it very difficult with so many people behind the ball. United need to catch them on the break or put away a cross.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Torres and Mascherano have stopped tackling pretty much completely, both seem terrified of a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I was only saying that now... Reina's kit is horrible... Why 3rd kit? They coulda gone with the white....

3rd kit is white one

It was a foul, and the player was brought down in the box - They are given more then often then not
    You are wrong, watch the replays. no part of the offence occurred in the box. It was not a pen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It was a foul, outside the box. Valencia kept running to make sure he fell in the box.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

shocking from gerrard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    fuk sake gerrard, if your strike partner is going up for a ball to knock it on, just make the fuking run in case he wins it - dont just walk around and look surprised when he knocks it into a great area of space YOU should have been attacking.

Gerrard work hard for a full game? You have to be kidding. Moaning at players throughout games without putting in effort is his style.

Would have preferred if Aquilani was on today in his place.

Ooh good area for a free-kick. Come on United!

• Advertisement
Advertisement