Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool/Sunday 21st March/KO 13:30 (Mod note: Post #1 & #770)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Utd to Hammer the Pool 4-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hope 'Pool win for obvious reasons. It'll be up to Mascherano to cut out the service to Rooney.

Yep, I probably dislike Man. United marginally more than Liverpool. But if Arsenal can benefit, I'd like to Liverpool win. But I'm torn because I've said the whole time that United will win the league and even though I hate them I like being proved right.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

rooney has nearly always underperformed against us, not sure if its the pressure of the big one (doubt it) or if Carra has his number, however, i expect him to fare better this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

syngindub wrote: »
    Utd to Hammer the Pool 4-0

Would love that. the way Liverpool have been all season you would expect a united win, but Liverpool always raise their game against the Champions, so we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Quandary wrote: »
    Utd win i reckon. Fergie will not want to lose another one to the scousers this year.Liverpool at 9/2 to win on PP. Thats surely worth a punt for the optimistic pool fan ?

L'pool hitting form at just the right time so will be high on confidence come sunday. Thats great odds and surley worth a punt.

Form goes out the window for this one and i honeslty don't know how it will go, hoepfully 3pts for Manutd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

It pains me to say but I reckon United too win 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think one thing needs to be said...

Liverpool don't necessarily 'raise their game' for Utd.

Tactically we always set ourselves out a certain way against the big teams, especially Utd. Utd like to have the ball, and so often they're let have it against teams. Benitez likes to pressure and hassle bigger teams, which Lucas and Masch will do all day. they do it every week, against everyone.

the problem is against smaller teams when the onus is on us to be constructive rather than destructive.

so i merely expect our normal performance against United. hasslling and getting about them. it's whether United can combat that, and stop Gerrard and Torres scoring off the scraps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SlickRic wrote: »
    i think one thing needs to be said...

Liverpool don't necessarily 'raise their game' for Utd.

Tactically we always set ourselves out a certain way against the big teams, especially Utd. Utd like to have the ball, and so often they're let have it against teams. Benitez likes to pressure and hassle bigger teams, which Lucas and Masch will do all day. they do it every week, against everyone.

the problem is against smaller teams when the onus is on us to be constructive rather than destructive.

so i merely expect our normal performance against United. hasslling and getting about them. it's whether United can combat that, and stop Gerrard and Torres scoring off the scraps.
    This season Liverpool were tripe before and after the game at Anfield, your lot certainly raised their game for the occasion imo. Previous season not so much - liverpool were in good form at the time and beat a floundering United side at OT at the time, deservedly.

not according to Mr Ferguson Mitch, the better team lost that day iirc ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fletcher will own the midfield.

Rooney will get the goals.

3-0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Aye, i agree Fletch is huge, he hasnt played in the last 3 matches against Pool. 4-5-1 Fergie all the way, hopefully hes uses common sense and leaves Berb on the bench even though hes been playing well of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Fletcher will kick people. Odds are evens for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Boggles wrote: »
    Fletcher will own the midfield.

Rooney will get the goals.

3-0

agreed, in principle.

in that, if Utd get a proper hold in midfield, the game is over, and it could get embarrassing.

we just don't have the quality in enough of the other areas on the pitch IMO.

i don't see Carra and Agger keeping Rooney out if he's being supplied a lot of quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Will go against league form and say a Liverpool win.

1-2 or 2-3 in a game where both managers do their normal flood the midfield routine for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Kess73 wrote: »
    Will go against league form and say a Liverpool win.

1-2 or 2-3 in a game where both managers do their normal flood the midfield routine for this game.

United played 4-4-2 the last 2 outings.

And 4-3-3 the one before that.

With Fletcher available for this he could play 2 in the centre again and 2 up top.

On form Park for me on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

United played 4-4-2 the last 2 outings.

And 4-3-3 the one before that.

With Fletcher available for this he could play 2 in the centre again and 2 up top.

If I remember right, in the 4-1 game, Tevez was dropping deep and chasing hard against the midfield, leaving Rooney as the lone forward, despite it being a 4-4-2 on paper.

Pretty sure in the 2-0 earlier this season that Rooney was dropping back with Berbatov up front on his own a lot.

I don't think formations are fast and hard when Benitez and Ferguson teams meet though. Liverpool vs Man Utd seems to have more stacking of midfields than most of the other big name clashes in the EPL.

One thing that is for sure though, is that the formbook goes out the window for this clash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I can see SAF going with this but i think he might just go with Rooney up front on his own.

I think this game will be won in Midfield. The last two meetings Liverpool have won that battle so sunday with Fletcher and either Carrick/Scholes will be interesting. I hope he picks Scholes ahead of the Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Comfortable enough Utd win.

Though the meltdown to come after will be the most irrelevant load of toss ever, as both sides could afford to lose this game and still win the league / qualify for the CL. The 'must win' games are elsewhere on the respective schedules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

kryogen wrote: »
    That link is corrupt :D.
    Very funny read

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Hope we can contain Torres. 4 goals,2 assists in his last 2 games. Think the game hinges on that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

SlickRic wrote: »
    agreed, in principle.

in that, if Utd get a proper hold in midfield, the game is over, and it could get embarrassing.

we just don't have the quality in enough of the other areas on the pitch IMO.

i don't see Carra and Agger keeping Rooney out if he's being supplied a lot of quality.

I agree, the midfield battle is key. And tbh, your analysis works both ways, as Torres and Gerrard have shown what they can do to our CBs in the past.

I hope to see a 5 man midfield of
    Valencia Scholes Fletcher Park Nani
    That would enable us to dominate the ball imo. And then Rooney would get a few goals and we could all go home happy - well except Liverpool obviously :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

kryogen wrote: »

Comedy Gold , Rawk is always good for a laugh.

Looking forward to this one, we owe them one at this stage. Our midfield needs to perform at their best and hope Torres doesn't skin Vidic again.

I think Liverpool will control the midfield. Hoping to see Scholes on uniteds team sheet.

However, I can't see our CB's being able to handle Rooney.

Torres v Vidic should be fun.

Prediction 1-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I just love this fixture,

1pm sunday
    pub, drink, torres scoring, home happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

1pm sunday
    pub, drink, torres scoring, home happy.

yeah torres scoring, rooney scoring 2;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    yeah torres scoring, rooney scoring 2;)

Its will be a good spectacle either way, :D enjoy the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

1pm sunday
    pub, drink, torres scoring one, Rooney hatrick, home happy.

thats my plan..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not according to Mr Ferguson Mitch, the better team lost that day iirc ;)

Mr Ferguson having a go again at the FA
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8576818.stm
    has he a point, or/and he just stirring it up before this match?

Trilla wrote: »

Fergie's just trolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Trilla wrote: »

I think even the majority of Liverpool fans agreed to Gerrard getting away with the elbow as very very lucky. Probably lucky to get away with the V sign too. So, yeah, he has a definite point but it is Fergie looking for a reaction from Benitez. Role on the mind games!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's either gonna be tight and end 1-1 or possibly 2-1 to the pool, or United will absolutely hammer them, 4-0.

I can't fúcking wait!!

It's either gonna be tight and end 1-1 or possibly 2-1 to the pool, or United will absolutely hammer them, 4-0.

I can't fúcking wait!!

So you've tipped a Liverpool win, a united win and a draw.

Top tipster :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So you've tipped a Liverpool win, a united win and a draw.

Top tipster :D
    That's how I roll:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Come on Liverpool! Torres scoring two in a 2-0 victory. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

A 4-5-1 please Fergie, something along the lines of this:

VDS
    Neville--Vidic--Rio--Evra
    ---Fletcher--Scholes--Park---
    Valencia
    Nani/Giggs
    Rooney

Rio to mark Torres, please.
    Neville in for experience.
    Park to track back on Gerrard.
    Fletcher to close down the ticking time bomb that is Mascherano and try get him sent off.:p
    Scholes to chop down anyone within a 5 yard radius.

Going to this one, cannot wait!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fergie's just pissing off people in order to

A. Make people think the FA are against them
    B. Influence the ref on Sunday to keep a special eye on Gerrard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

baz2009 wrote: »
    A 4-5-1 please Fergie, something along the lines of this:

VDS
    Neville--Vidic--Rio--Evra
    ---Fletcher--Scholes--Park---
    Valencia
    Nani/Giggs
    Rooney

Rio to mark Torres, please.

the same torres that made a fool of him to score pools first goal in the 2-0 victory?yeah why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

anplaya wrote: »

the same torres that made a fool of him to score pools first goal in the 2-0 victory?yeah why not.

He'll do a better job than Vidic.

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    He'll do a better job than Vidic.

neither of them have a case atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

- Personal abuse isn't permitted
    - Back seat modding isn't permitted, if you've a problem with a post report it
    - off-topic posting isn't permitted, keep it on topic or stay out of the thread

welcome to the nanny state lad & lasses

Ferdinand played well v Torres 2 seasons ago iirc at Old Trafford so I'd imagine he'll stick close to him Sunday.

Vidic can't handle him at all.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ferdinand played well v Torres 2 seasons ago iirc at Old Trafford so I'd imagine he'll stick close to him Sunday.

Vidic can't handle him at all.

really?if thats the way it works.torres skinned rio in the last game they played,just like he skinned vidic in the previous one.how ever, tbh its all on the day .those two lads cud shut up shop and he might not get a sniff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

nopefully neville and scholes play

far be it from me to be the voice of reason, but i think both Ferdinand and Vidic are capable of marshalling Torres on their day, however, i think a decline in their form over the last couple of seasons means its probably slightly more likely he'll tear one me them a holebumgold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr Alan wrote: »
    far be it from me to be the voice of reason, but i think both Ferdinand and Vidic are capable of marshalling Torres on their day, however, i think a decline in their form over the last couple of seasons means its probably slightly more likely he'll tear one of them a new apsehole.

Are you mental? Last couple of seasons? They broke records last season ffs. Any "lack of form" this season is purely down to a substantial lack of fitness and game time. Must try harder Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

was reading last week about the differant centre back pairings utd had this year and was surprised that rio-vidic conceaded the most goals per games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A pitch invasion by the 1974 German team vs Holland's 1994 line-up. I bet that would surprise ya. ;)

You being anything but an obnoxious twat before, during and after the match is about the only thing that would surprise me.

:eek:

joking obviously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

I cant get excited about this one as much as I usually do, this should be a walk in the park for united.Liverpool are just an above average team now and its like playing villa or spurs, I mean this liverpool couldnt get a goal against a crap wigan team , a wigan team that got hammered 4-0 by bolton only recently.I think we will win 3 or 4 nil to be honest

Also to the liverpool fans that think they will control the midfield, ye really are a disillussioned lot, probably thought ye were going to win the league this year for the same reason, when united play park,flecther,scholes,carrick,and valencia together in midfield they usually dominate the best of teams and ye certainly arent that

I cant get excited about this one as much as I usually do
    this should be a walk in the park for united
    I think we will win 3 or 4 nil to be honest

Surely you should be excited about this easy win?

• Advertisement
Advertisement