Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool/Sunday 21st March/KO 13:30 (Mod note: Post #1 & #770)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mayordenis wrote: »
    Why would a Spurs fan be standing up for pool?

He's simply standing up for integrity in football which wasn't on show today.

It was a Peno, get over it.

As said Masch was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Mayordennis is just an ABU of the highest order. I'd take what he says with a pinch of salt.

Annoying actually, cause he's a nice chap aside from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lol, you continuously saying mash was lucky to stay on the pitch is funny, it was in no way shape or form a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

RasTa wrote: »
    In Liverpool airport of all places, 2 hours until my flight. I've just wasted 3 quid for 30mins internet useage and this thread better deliver!

well worth 3 quid. maybe 3 more ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I like mayordenis. But he can do better than BERBA.:pac:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    lol, you continuously saying mash was lucky to stay on the pitch is funny, it was in no way shape or form a red card.

He was clean through, easily could have been a red.

You still sticking with, a draw would have been a fair result btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I'm absolutely beside myself laughing at some of the pathetic responses towards Howard Webb here. Let me enter Rafa mode and display some "fachts"

vlcsnap260854gm6.png

At Anfield, Lucas was let away with persistant fouling and a serious lack of yellow card action from Webb.

At Anfield, Jamie Carragher wasn't shown a red card for blatently denying Michael Owen a goalscoring opportunity. At the same game, Nemanja Vidic was shown one for similar circumstances. The Vidic decision was correct, but why wasn't Carragher shown a red? Serious lack of consistancy.

At Anfield, Liverpool got away with absolute murder with the amount of late challenges which didn't result in free kicks against them, as well as being awarded soft free kicks to them for challenges where in some cases the ball was won!

Today, Fernando Torres should have been given a yellow card for making a divot on the penalty spot (something us educated people call "unsporting behaviour" which you can also receive a red card for), for the reckless, late tackle (which he did) and for consistantly bitching and moaning to the referee. The latter is something called dissent which Mascherano was given a yellow card for a couple of years back, you all might remember.

Today, Liverpool were awarded some of the softest free kicks I've ever seen. That pathetic one on Lucas where Fletcher cleanly dispossessed him and the one where Glen Johnson fell over on his own.

The message here, all of this was because of Howard Webb. Stop whinging, bitching and moaning at decisions Webb made and claim some window-licking conspiracy that he's a United fan, because you lot got way more than your fair share of decisions when United played your lot at Anfield.

And to conclude, I leave you with some dancing soldiers in Iraq:

I thank you all for taking part. Good night, and God bless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Boggles wrote: »
    You still sticking with, a draw would have been a fair result btw?

What does it matter? It's his opinion, just let it go ffs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Good god.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

a draw would have been nice for liverpool. i think utd did deserve to win despite the penalty

• Advertisement

yep, still think a draw would have been a fairer result.

don't get me wrong, i don't think united winnin was a travesty or anything like that, they were the better team for the second half, but i just think with the mistake the ref made for the peno, a draw would have been fairer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Melion wrote: »
    I think he was on about the Spurs game last year :confused:

Used that as an example , I'm on about Howard Webb liking to give Utd pens at OT when they no where near pens.

Best Ref in UK?...me thinks not.

don't get me wrong, i don't think united winnin was a travesty or anything like that, they were the better team for the second half, but i just think with the mistake the ref made for the peno, a draw would have been fairer.

Ground Control to Alan.

IT WAS A PENO.

most neutrals and myself seem to think it wasn't boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

andyman wrote: »
    I'm absolutely beside myself laughing at some of the pathetic responses towards Howard Webb here. Let me enter Rafa mode and display some "fachts"

vlcsnap260854gm6.png

At Anfield, Lucas was let away with persistant fouling and a serious lack of yellow card action from Webb.

At Anfield, Jamie Carragher wasn't shown a red card for blatently denying Michael Owen a goalscoring opportunity. At the same game, Nemanja Vidic was shown one for similar circumstances. The Vidic decision was correct, but why wasn't Carragher shown a red? Serious lack of consistancy.

At Anfield, Liverpool got away with absolute murder with the amount of late challenges which didn't result in free kicks against them, as well as being awarded soft free kicks to them for challenges where in some cases the ball was won!

Today, Fernando Torres should have been given a yellow card for making a divot on the penalty spot (something us educated people call "unsporting behaviour" which you can also receive a red card for), for the reckless, late tackle (which he did) and for consistantly bitching and moaning to the referee. The latter is something called dissent which Mascherano was given a yellow card for a couple of years back, you all might remember.

Today, Liverpool were awarded some of the softest free kicks I've ever seen. That pathetic one on Lucas where Fletcher cleanly dispossessed him and the one where Glen Johnson fell over on his own.

The message here, all of this was because of Howard Webb. Stop whinging, bitching and moaning at decisions Webb made and claim some window-licking conspiracy that he's a United fan, because you lot got way more than your fair share of decisions when United played your lot at Anfield.

And to conclude, I leave you with some dancing soldiers in Iraq:

I thank you all for taking part. Good night, and God bless.

where do i start, some of your facts, carragher and vidic were both shown yellow cards for their similar challenges, as for bitching and moaning, utd have the two biggest moaning ***** in the game, in rooney and giggs, utd were played off the field at anfield, that's why they lost, who was it gave that pen last season when utd were two down against spurs, who was it.

most neutrals and myself seem to think it wasn't boggles.

Well what actually happened counts, correct?

Peno no question, Liverpool could well have been down to 10, if anything Webb bottled that decision.

Liverpool were shocking today, not just in terms of play, but also attitude.

As I said already you have alot bigger problems to concentrate on then been beaten by the champions!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Giggs is one of the biggest moaners in the game? I've heard it all now.

adox wrote: »
    Giggs is one of the biggest moaners in the game? I've heard it all now.

Honestly do you not think so, honest question, every decision against then he is first to the ref

• Advertisement

Well what actually happened counts, correct?

Peno no question, Liverpool could well have been down to 10, if anything Webb bottled that decision.

Liverpool were shocking today, not just in terms of play, but also attitude.

As I said already you have alot bigger problems to concentrate on then been beaten by the champions!!!

your right i cant believe webb didnt send him off, i cant believe utd only got one pen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

niallo27 wrote: »
    Honestly do you not think so, honest question, every decision against then he is first to the ref

No of course i don't think so. I'd be surprised if you'd find many, or even any, that would call Giggs one of the biggest moaners in the game.

where do i start, some of your facts, carragher and vidic were both shown yellow cards for their similar challenges, as for bitching and moaning, utd have the two biggest moaning ***** in the game, in rooney and giggs, utd were played off the field at anfield, that's why they lost, who was it gave that pen last season when utd were two down against spurs, who was it.

Was the Carragher decision a red card or not? Go on, I dare you to say it wasn't and be 100% serious. If you do say it wasn't, I'm not going to even bother licking windows with you.

You think Rooney and Giggs are the biggest moans in the game after Torres' performance today and Carragher's performances week-in, week-out? Ok.

I never said Liverpool didn't deserve to win. I was merely pointing out that Webb doesn't always give United everything like some people seem to suggest. Read my post next time, I quite clearly highlight that.

Howard Webb gave us that penalty, however the reason why we won that game was because Spurs bottled it. Sure, the penalty should not have been given but Spurs had a 2-1 lead and just collapsed. And in real time, you tell me that you would have seen both that decision and the one today. You wouldn't have. Very few referees (if any) would have.

Don't be so bitter just because your players were absolutely dire today. Howard Webb wasn't the reason you lot lost. It was because your players weren't up for it. Steven Gerrard was poor. Johnson was a liability. Insua was turned inside out by Valencia. Lucas and Mascherano couldn't do anything with Fletcher about. Oh, and you lost because Park scored to make it 2-1. PARK!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think the penalty was a fair enough decision tbh.

Mascherano was fouling Valencia for about thirty yards, I don't see why the player trangressing should get the benefit of having the foul called at the time that suits him best.

Valencia was offered the advantage to attempt to get away from Mascherano, who continued to fould him all the way to the box. The player being fouled gets the benefit of the decision and is given the penalty. I don't see a problem with it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think the penalty was a fair enough decision tbh.

Mascherano was fouling Valencia for about thirty yards, I don't see why the player trangressing should get the benefit of having the foul called at the time that suits him best.

Valencia was offered the advantage to attempt to get away from Mascherano, who continued to fould him all the way to the box. The player being fouled gets the benefit of the decision and is given the penalty. I don't see a problem with it really.

Its a foul from when the first offense occurred, they are the rules of the games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Its a foul from when the first offense occurred, they are the rules of the games

No it's not. At least read the rules before you claim to know them.

Was the Carragher decision a red card or not? Go on, I dare you to say it wasn't and be 100% serious. If you do say it wasn't, I'm not going to even bother licking windows with you.

You think Rooney and Giggs are the biggest moans in the game after Torres' performance today and Carragher's performances week-in, week-out? Ok.

I never said Liverpool didn't deserve to win. I was merely pointing out that Webb doesn't always give United everything like some people seem to suggest. Read my post next time, I quite clearly highlight that.

Howard Webb gave us that penalty, however the reason why we won that game was because Spurs bottled it. Sure, the penalty should not have been given but Spurs had a 2-1 lead and just collapsed. And in real time, you tell me that you would have seen both that decision and the one today. You wouldn't have. Very few referees (if any) would have.

Don't be so bitter just because your players were absolutely dire today. Howard Webb wasn't the reason you lot lost. It was because your players weren't up for it. Steven Gerrard was poor. Johnson was a liability. Insua was turned inside out by Valencia. Lucas and Mascherano couldn't do anything with Fletcher about. Oh, and you lost because Park scored to make it 2-1. PARK!!

i was just replying to your facts, which were not true, i don't carragher should have being sent off, it was 40 yards, the ball was going towards the corner flag, it would have being a harsh sending off in my opinion

No mate Spurs had a 2-0 lead in that game and 76,000 people except good old howard Webb saw that Heurelho Gomes got the ball cleanly and Ronaldo was up to his old tricks!

Archimedes wrote: »

Do enlighten me so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Archimedes wrote: »
    fine.
    for anyone interested in a factual analysis of the foul.
    it occurred outside the 18 and mascherano never touched valencia inside the box. rewatch the video and watch mascherano pull his hand away before the line. i've replayed this several times - its on youtube if you doubt me.
    that is a fact.
    also valencia threw himself to the ground once he crossed the line. that was a dive even though he had been fouled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

There's a great irony about liverpool supporters debating dodgy penalties. The same people who defend gerrard's involvement in them for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Do enlighten me so

Well why don't you quote the passage from the rules that agrees with what you say?

BERBA wrote: »
    No mate Spurs had a 2-0 lead in that game and 76,000 people except good old howard Webb saw that Heurelho Gomes got the ball cleanly and Ronaldo was up to his old tricks!

You mean when Michael Carrick was through on goal? :P

There's a great irony about liverpool supporters debating dodgy penalties. The same people who defend gerrard's involvement in them for years

i can hardly remember one, which ones are you talking about

It was actually Carrick that won the Peno.

United tore Spurs apart in the 2nd half, winning the half 5-0. Spurs shat themselves and not for the first time either.

Your namesake was particulary good in dispensing with the Londoners.

Peno or not, ye would have lost.

You need to get over it lad, nearly 12 months ago now. I know its an easy trap to fall into but living in the past does you no good. Especially this year when ye might actually achieve something worthwhile for once.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is it just the constant utd red cards in recent fixtures that make utd fans automatically assume Masch should have been sent off?

It was in no way a red.

More glossing over Fletcher's lash out at Kuyt? Straight red.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Well why don't you quote the passage from the rules that agrees with what you say?

Stop will ya, he stopped pulling his jersey before the line, are you saying that if your fouled outside the box but jump into the box its a penalty

You mean when Michael Carrick was through on goal? :P

Thanks for the 18.6m for Carrick (superb piece of business) and while im at it thanks for the 30.75m for Berb - he keeping that bench nice and warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

...I'm sure the trophies are worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Go to youtube, Type in "steven gerrard dive", There's a long list. Also can try cheat instead of dive in your search

Thanks for the 18.6m for Carrick (superb piece of business) and while im at it thanks for the 30.75m for Berb - he keeping that bench nice and warm.

He has his medals to console him.

being member of a championship winning squad that challenges on all fronts > playing every week for the league's great disappointments and pants sh*tters.

Mind the lasagne this year btw, would hate ye to have an excuse again.;)

throw in nani and Anderson and hargreaves, over 100 million worth of ****e, you never hear that in the papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

enjoying your PL wins and CL finals? No? Oh, thats right, it is United getting them while Spurs lose key players and do worse each season as a result.

Andorra
    Blackburn
    Marseille

Just ones off the top of my head. Can't remember if all were penalties, but he definitely looked for them.

Go to youtube, Type in "steven gerrard dive", There's a long list. Also can try cheat instead of dive in your search

i dont see any penalty's, you said penalty's

It was actually Carrick that won the Peno.

United tore Spurs apart in the 2nd half, winning the half 5-0. Spurs shat themselves and not for the first time either.

Your namesake was particulary good in dispensing with the Londoners.

Peno or not, ye would have lost.

Disagree. Ye were toothless for an hour in that game. Granted we bottled it fair enough when it went to 2-1 but ye were given a leg up by Webb to make it 2-1 , easy to say now ye still would have won that game being 2 down with half an hour to go..i'm not quite so sure as you boggles that ye would have done it but ye did thanks to...................HOWARD WEBB !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Disagree. Ye were toothless for an hour in that game. Granted we bottled it fair enough when it went to 2-1 but ye were given a leg up by Webb to make it 2-1 , easy to say now ye still would have won that game being 2 down with half an hour to go..i'm not quite so sure as you boggles that ye would have done it but ye did thanks to...................HOWARD WEBB !

At full speed - it looked a peno. Webb didn't have the benifit of the replays you have cried over for the last couple of years.

Andorra
    Blackburn
    Marseille

Just ones off the top of my head. Can't remember if all were penalties, but he definitely looked for them.

when were liverpool playing andorra

• Advertisement

Ye were torn apart. Could have been 10.

Get over it.

Advertisement