Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool/Sunday 21st March/KO 13:30 (Mod note: Post #1 & #770)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Oh dear.

Oh dear what LL?

Fergie says Liverpool got lucky with the Gerrard incident (and maybe the mascherano one too - i'd need to see the leading question) and he is seemingly saying Liverpool always get 'lucky' with the FA.

Liverpool fans say Liverpool got lucky with the Gerrard incident (and the mascherano one too) and that seeminly means that they got lucky on these couple of incidents.

Why is it different for the two subjects? Why is one calling the FA biased and bitching and moaning. While the other is giving an honest assessment of two incidents Liverpool got lucky on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mr Alan wrote: »
    didn't he say 'they're lucky like that', mitch, ****s sake, you're deciding wat incidents he is talking about just to suit you, in reality it was a general comment he made about the club.

no, gotta pull you up here, read the article, it is very clear he is talking about the disciplinary incidents, not a general comment toward the club

didn't he say 'they're lucky like that', mitch, ****s sake, you're deciding wat incidents he is talking about just to suit you, in reality it was a general comment he made about the club.

Apparently the leading question was talking about the Gerrard incident, and the Mascherano incident United used in defence of Rio. You are having a go at me for saying 'that' refers to two incidents yet it is fine for you to decide 'that' means everything Liverpool ever go up infront of the FA on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oh dear what LL?

Fergie says Liverpool got lucky with the Gerrard incident (and maybe the mascherano one too - i'd need to see the leading question) and he is seemingly saying Liverpool always get 'lucky' with the FA.

Liverpool fans say Liverpool got lucky with the Gerrard incident (and the mascherano one too) and that seeminly means that they got lucky on these couple of incidents.

Why is it different for the two subjects? Why is one calling the FA biased and bitching and moaning. While the other is giving an honest assessment of two incidents Liverpool got lucky on?

You're a bit muddled and all over the place here. This is the specific sentence I took issue with:
    Sure fcuk it - Liverpool fans on here were saying you were lucky with Gerrard getting off, you gonna go have a go at them? They clearly feel the FA are biased towards Liverpool

I'm not taking Mr.Alan's side in this debate. The only thing I took issue with is the suggestion that my disagreement with a specific issue is tantamount to an assessment of general "bias" of any sort.

Confusing incompetence with bias is something football fans do far too much of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this is almost as funny as you making a clown of yourself on redcafe the other week. he was asked about the gerrard incident, he responded they're lucky like that. its quite clear to anyone with half a brain the nonsense point he was trying to make, in fact i believe some United fans were praising it as more wonderful mind games from him.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You're a bit muddled and all over the place here. This is the specific sentence I took issue with:

I'm not taking Mr.Alan's side in this debate. The only thing I took issue with is the suggestion that my disagreement with a specific issue is tantamount to an assessment of general "bias" of any sort.

Confusing incompetence with bias is something football fans do far too much of.
    FFS Llyod - I was trying to show the stupidity in saying Liverpool got lucky on two incidents is a statement of bias by pointing out Liverpool fans said they got lucky on the same two incidents, and we know liverpool fans aren't going to think the FA are biased towards them.

I really don't get what the hell your problem here is. Maybe I just needed to make it clearer for you.

it is quite clear the point he was making yet you seem to have misunderstood it

it is not a general comment about liverpool being lucky and getting all the decisions

it is a related to a specific subject

if you really cant see this then there is no point in continuing the debate, may aswell just agree to disagree

this is almost as funny as you making a clown of yourself on redcafe the other week. he was asked about the gerrard incident, he responded they're lucky like that. its quite clear to anyone with half a brain the nonsense point he was trying to make, in fact i believe some United fans were praising it as more wonderful mind games from him.
    When did he respond with "they're lucky like that" - in the article linked HE DOES NOT SAY THAT
    So, which of these comments is translating to FA are biased towards Liverpool.

"They do all right with that." - could EASILY mean they have got some lucky decisions.

"They are lucky with that" - could EASILY be reffering to a singular incident.

Neither are definitively stating bias.

i don't think he meant luck in general footballing terms, but he certainly meant wit the FA in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Has there ever been a Utd/Pool match thread that didnt go this way?:confused:
    This is after turning into a pretty big clusterfcuk :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Maybe the thread title should be changed to Agree to Disagree.....

i don't think he meant luck in general footballing terms, but he certainly meant wit the FA in general.

No Al, that is YOUR interpretation of what he said. It is not fact. Your interpretation is not the only one, it is not fact, it is not indisputable. If he had said it as clearly as you are trying to make out he would have been brought up in front of the FA on it.

Has there ever been a Utd/Pool match thread that didnt go this way?:confused:
    This is after turning into a pretty big clusterfcuk :eek:

standard United/Liverpool thread tbh

id actually be shocked, and maybe a little disappointed if it didnt become a train wreck

not just UTD/Pool match threads either, any thread on the SF has the potential to become a united liverpool penis measuring contest

oh god i'm going asleep. wat a melter of a thread this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

When did he respond with "they're lucky like that" - in the article linked HE DOES NOT SAY THAT
    So, which of these comments is translating to FA are biased towards Liverpool.

"They do all right with that." - could EASILY mean they have got some lucky decisions.

"They are lucky with that" - could EASILY be reffering to a singular incident.

Neither are definitively stating bias.

Mitch, it was in reference to the FA.

Look, somebody defended SAF before the match, by saying he was asked a question by a journalist and he responded.

He said Liverpool were lucky with the FA.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

hold up a minute, i just noticed something, Alan, you said Mitch made a clown of hmself on RedCafe the other week? what in Gods name were you doing on RedCafe?

K-9 wrote: »

Look, somebody defended SAF before the match, by saying he was asked a question by a journalist and he responded.

I'm not denying that. I am saying his comments are that Liverpool got lucky with the FA on the incidents he was asked on (Gerrard and Mascherano).

I am denying he said liverpool always get lucky and that the FA are biased towards them. He may well think that to be the case, but I am saying he did not SAY it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I love utd/liverpool match threads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I took from it he was talking about how Liverpool had gotten away with a few instances of trial by video this season, such as Masch Vs Leeds, and Gerrard's two instances last week. Which would mean he was referring to the FA.

What a silly argument to be having though.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    hold up a minute, i just noticed something, Alan, you said Mitch made a clown of hmself on RedCafe the other week? what in Gods name were you doing on RedCafe?
    It was linked somewhere here. Besides, i love da caf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

More importantly what'd Mitch do that was so bad. Sure what harm if Alan was reading a United board? Its no different to you or I reading the Liverpool thread on here or posting in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Just about read through the whole thread and the amount of both bad losers and bad winners in here is making it fun to read. Keep it up!

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I love utd/liverpool match threads :D
    If your shower of nancy boys don't win the league this year, i'm holding it against you personally!

I'm not denying that. I am saying his comments are that Liverpool got lucky with the FA on the incidents he was asked on (Gerrard and Mascherano).

I am denying he said liverpool always get lucky and that the FA are biased towards them. He may well think that to be the case, but I am saying he did not SAY it.

Mitch, he said "they are lucky like that". Go and read it for yourself again.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It was linked somewhere here. Besides, i love da caf!

not a patch on boards.ie in fairness

none of the fansites are though i guess

i took a look around RAWK through a link on this thread, jesus it was cringeworthy

• Advertisement

rawk is full of ****in idiots. god i hate that place.

Its a bit sad to me, same as RAWK thread ending up here, posted by Man U fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

If your shower of nancy boys don't win the league this year, i'm holding it against you personally!

:p

Mitch, he said "they are lucky like that". Go and read it for yourself again.
    in the article linked he does not. He says lucky WITH that not lucky like that, which have very different meanings

Its a bit sad to me, same as RAWK thread ending up here, posted by Man U fans!

ah that thread that was linked up here was quality in a pathetic kind of way!

actually, considering what happened in the game im off to check how that thread is doing!

• Advertisement

in the article linked he does not. He says lucky WITH that not lucky like that, which have very different meanings
    Actually in the quotes Kryogen put here, he says lucky like that. I have no reason to doubt him, he is a good man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

I just wish Richard Branson would stop thinking about it and just go ahead and buy liverpool,

the question by the reporter was (paraphrased)

Liverpool seem to be getting alot of breaks with FA recently dont they?

the response

Yes we know, they do all right, they are lucky like that, maybe one day we will get lucky

that is what i have, and that is clearly talking about the incidents this season involving Liverpool and the FA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Well, I said the other day that United would win this & I would eat my laptop if they didn't. Thanks to Park, I'd some nice fish in batter for my tea instead.

Had to laugh at Torres today though - what a little brat.. reminded me of Ronaldo, throwing girly hissy fits when things weren't going his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just saw this on another forum, didn't realise it:

"If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding him inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick."

FIFA LAWS OF THE GAME 2009/2010 page 110:
    http://www.lynchburgunited.com/Portals/French/20092010 Laws of the Game.pdf

PHB wrote: »

"If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding him inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick."

Bit of advice, read Boards and don't bother with other fora! :-)

Its been done already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This thread has been a great read

Excellent result from United

Webb made it more difficult than it had to be by bottling the red card, but sure ya roll with the punches and just push on and you'll get what you deserve ;)

In a post-match interview Fergie said that Fletcher was sick or injured for the last three United/Pool matches ! Not sure if that's true or not (someone check it), but he certainly played a big part yesterday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

rawk is full of ****in idiots. god i hate that place.

best post in the thread that I have largely missed..

I switched off after Valencia was critically injured from the vicious and cynical Mascherano violence towards him, partly because we all knew the end result and moreso heading to the Rovers game.

Nothing quite like being told after an abject home defeat that Utd also won 2-1 - thank Messi for a bright spot.. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

um, my reckoning was it was a 50/50 that didnt go liverpools way. seen them given, seen them not given

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

PHB wrote: »

:confused: This didn't happen? Even the utd fans who are claiming it is a penalty aren't saying there was any holding inside the area. They appear to be claiming that as his foot was in the area then the holding was too.

As pointed out earlier it's where the offence takes place, not where other parts of the body are that matters. Eg If it was at the other end, Valencia was half in, half out of the box and he handles deliberately with the hand that is outside the box. It isn't a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

A good day all round, United got their 3 points, liverpool got their excuses with the soft peno decision to glaze over the fact they had very little possesion and created nothing of any significane bar their goal and Torre's fluff in 90 minutes of football and good old Blackburn came good in the end with a Diouf Goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

If Jamie Redknapp says it was a pen then that's good enough for me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

copacetic wrote: »
    :confused: This didn't happen? Even the utd fans who are claiming it is a penalty aren't saying there was any holding inside the area. They appear to be claiming that as his foot was in the area then the holding was too.

As pointed out earlier it's where the offence takes place, not where other parts of the body are that matters. Eg If it was at the other end, Valencia was half in, half out of the box and he handles deliberately with the hand that is outside the box. It isn't a penalty.

Oh I know, I agree that it wasnt a penalty. But I never knew that rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hope someone can answer this, maybe the ref decided to award the penalty and book Masherchano instead of giving him a red and United a free kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Hope someone can answer this, maybe the ref decided to award the penalty and book Masherchano instead of giving him a red and United a free kick?

Id imagine the ref could answer that, everyone else is just speculating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

epic thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Id imagine the ref could answer that, everyone else is just speculating.

Email sent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Havent read through all the thread so have one question:

Do you guys think it was a peno?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

adox wrote: »
    Havent read through all the thread so have one question:

Do you guys think it was a peno?:D

think what was a peno?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Bottom line is make a stupid challenge like that in and around the penalty box and you run the risk of it being called a peno AND being sent off, but thats typical of the guy, already been sent off twice against United in about 5 games. Brainless is not the word and if he had indeed of been sent off it would have been his third of the season, along with the 9 yellow cards he has picked up.

It was a dull match and although United playes slightly the better stuff it was a hard one to call and noone would have beens surprised if Torres did not fluff his lines at the end and equalise. But thats life and especially this season with Liverpool everytime they improve they take another step back. I bet most fans are just praying for the finish so they can regroup and come back stronger next season.

btw, Gerrard was awful yesterday and looked a very unhappy player. anyone else notice that?

Advertisement