Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The murdering bastard McAleavy is released..

• 19-03-2010 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

RTE.IE
    A former Irish soldier who killed three of his colleagues in the Lebanon in 1982 has been released from prison in Co Antrim.

Michael McAleavey has served 27 years of a life sentence.

On 27 October 1982, the then 21-year-old shot dead three of his Irish army colleagues while on peacekeeping duties in Lebanon.

Originally he had claimed that Corporal Gregory Morrow, Private Thomas Murphy and Private Peter Burke had been shot by Lebanese gunmen, but he later admitted that he was responsible.

He said he had 'snapped' blaming a combination of dehydration and heat exhaustion.

Almost a year later he was sentenced to life in prison.

After spending time at various jails in the Republic his application to be transferred to Maghaberry Prison in Co Antrim was granted.

The West Belfast man had made the appeal on humanitarian grounds in order to be closer to his family.

Today a spokesperson for the Northern Ireland prison service confirmed that Michael McAleavey had been released following directions from the Independent Parole Commission.

It was decided that Mr McAleavey should be released as he met all the conditions for his release.

He was freed on a life licence which means that if he breaches the conditions of his release he will be recalled to prison.

It is understood that one of these conditions is that he does not speak to the media.

Then..

_42334688_mike.jpg

Now..

_42335076_newmichael.jpg1507_Michael_H_191591t.jpg

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Scumbag, its things like this that make me hate the country i live in, that guy should have been left to rot in the basement of some prison, far away from human contact. No man that does that is human.

R.I.P to the brave fellow Irishmen that lost their lives that day in '82, my thoughts are with their families at this horrible and distressing time. R.I.P guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

He is a cold blooded murderer ,a phyocopath who shouldn't have being allowed join the army nor let near a weapon of any kind and only went out to the Leb as a last minute replacement . He was the worst kind of attention seeker and his anti semitisim was well known , and also good enough reason not to let him go out to that region .

R.I.P to those 3 young men

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

This is Ireland, where life never means life.

They should have executed him out there.

Sick to my stomach of sentences being reduced on humanitarian grounds for utter scumbags like this piece of filth.

R.I.P. Gregory Morrow, Thomas Murphy and Peter Burke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Complete and utter piece of filth. He should have been put up against the wall for what he did. I hope he is found facedown in a canal or ditch soon.

RIP to those three brave men.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Why didnt the soldiers out there hand out their own justice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Melodeon

It's on the Joe Duffy show right now: http://www.rte.ie/radio/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Melodeon wrote: »
    It's on the Joe Duffy show right now: http://www.rte.ie/radio/index.html

Caught it, listening to Pte Burkes mother 'Mary' was heart breaking.

As for the retired detective, you could hear the pure hatred he had for a mass murderer.

Why didnt the soldiers out there hand out their own justice?

For the few few weeks he stuck to his story that member's of the PLO had attacked the checkpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Only read up on this since I saw this thread last night, shocking incident.

As an aside, is it normal for a military man tried and convicted by a court martial to be incarcerated in a civilian prison? Or is it due to the fact that he was discharged from the army before being imprisoned?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

What an animal, he should have been thrown on the scrap heap and forgotten about, i feel sick listening to this about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Dirty f***ing murdering filth....evil b*stard. Does 49 entry wounds on one body not give an indication of the pure and utter psychotic nature of this murdering scumbag. Psychopath deserves everything coming his way. Prison guards on talking about their experience with him. "Model prisoner" my arse.

Human excrement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Morphéus wrote: »
    This is Ireland, where life never means life.

He was released from a NI prison on the ruling on a NI judge
    In 2008 the North’s then lord chief justice Sir Brian Kerr ruled that he must serve a minimum prison term, or tariff, of 27 years. He passed that tariff by a month on Monday when he was released on licence under the authority of the North’s probation board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Did he ever give any reason for doing it?

I know his excuse was de-hydration and stress, but he pretended on his radio that they were under attack, and the manner in which the men died, in particular the final execution style shots fired dont look like someone who just lost it under fire.

Theta wrote: »
    He was released from a NI prison on the ruling on a NI judge

On the flip side of that coin we first released him after just 11 years but he was re-arrested on a drugs charge and sent back to finish his sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Scum of the earth.

Edited post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

On the flip side of that coin we first released him after just 11 years but he was re-arrested on a drugs charge and sent back to finish his sentence.

Are you serious? **** sake that is ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

For the few few weeks he stuck to his story that member's of the PLO had attacked the checkpoint.

PLO as far as i know never harmed any Irish soldiers, But the Christian militia (who are backed by the israelis) did. Remember Derek Smallhorne who was murdered by them.
    RIP to all the lads who were murdered in lebanon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The **** shouldn't be breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 OldVickers

Please join
    Michael McAleavey should not have been released from prison

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=109965069014630&ref=nf

At the time of posting 134 had joined.

PLO as far as i know never harmed any Irish soldiers, But the Christian militia (who are backed by the israelis) did. Remember Derek Smallhorne who was murdered by them.
    RIP to all the lads who were murdered in lebanon.

Thanks for that little gem, but its completely off topic so I'll refrain from correcting you.

This is about the murdering bastard McAleavy.

Oldvickers, thanks for the facebook link - joined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭redarse

Bring back the death penalty for murder against members of the GS and Defence Forces, shooting three people for laughing at him??
    The soldiers should have had a ND in his face back in '82 and sorted it back then and saved the State a load of money for housing and feeding this monster for so long!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I can see emotions are high here and I am not trying to stir it. But are there any mitigating circumstances? I caught the piece yesterday about an ex soldier in Iraq now contractor facing the death penalty over killing 2 of his collagues, the familty are claiming PTSD.
    It didnt sound like it was premeditated? did his officers ignore any warning signs in his behaviour leading up to it?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I can see emotions are high here and I am not trying to stir it. But are there any mitigating circumstances? I caught the piece yesterday about an ex soldier in Iraq now contractor facing the death penalty over killing 2 of his collagues, the familty are claiming PTSD.
    It didnt sound like it was premeditated? did his officers ignore any warning signs in his behaviour leading up to it?

I'd recommend you listen to the Joe Duffy podcast, its very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Melodeon

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Jesus - he murdered 3 other people, his own colleagues, and now he gets to go home to his family - WTF??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Melodeon wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but the dignity and strength of Mary Burke is nothing short of incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I wouldn't take Joe Duffy's word on whether someone should live or die.
    But I don't think that the sentence served is sufficient either.
    As the southern prison service are responsible for his initial transfer north, perhaps they could find another reason to serve an arrest warrant?

I wouldn't take Joe Duffy's word on whether someone should live or die.

Admit it, you didn't bother listening to the Podcast?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

When anyone starts taking their cues from Joe Duffy, they need to reset their moral compass.
    I'll repeat my question: as the southern prison service are responsible for his initial transfer north, perhaps the authorities in the south could find another reason to serve an arrest warrant?

• Advertisement

When anyone starts taking their cues from Joe Duffy, they need to reset their moral compass.

You still haven't listened to the show have you?.. Jedward could have presented the show and it wouldn't have made a difference to what the investigating garda and Pte Burkes mum had to say - listen to the show before coming galloping through on your moral highhorse and compass.

Advertisement