Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession beating horse care

Options
  • 19-03-2010 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

well i decided on paddy's day eve to bring my pony for a wee spin round paddy's day. problem was that i had ran out of my usual gallop shampoo which i normally pay 9-10 euro for but love to use as i've found its the only thing that can get my white pony clean.

anyway, i was out of it and not near a tack shop to get more, flip it i thought i'll wash him with ordinary shampoo and hope for the best. knowing not to steal mum's shampoo after the last time i wandered into tesco to buy my own. i managed to pick up Tesco Value Saving Shampoo, a 1 litre bottle for 45 cent! and that is not a special offer!

i brought it home and rode out the pony and began washing, i used a normal amount of shampoo and washed away, rugged him up and said good night,

the next morning i couldn't get over how clean the pony was, he was spotless and i was so pleased because he was filthy dirty before that.

decided i best share the news with ye all as i know were all trying to save a few quid here and there,

also think if anyone else has good ideas or comes accross alternative products that work then share them here :D

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

Yeah i agree. I have always used tescos own brand in shampoos and bath foam always found them to be great... Recession or no recession I could never justify paying €8 for a bottle of shampoo...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭TwilightWillow

Just be careful that it doesn't contain any ingredients that will irritate the horse's skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

We used always use Johnson's Baby Shampoo years ago when we used to show, and baby oil as 'conditioner' for the tail, and for shine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I remember using Fairy WashingUp Liquid to wash our Connemara. She was as white as snow after it, literally dazzling... For all of about two minutes. The following morning she'd be black again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I use the exact same shampoo! Brilliant price! Especially when washing a grey pony!

Plus bleach for those stubborn tail stains (only used on the tail after the bone mind! it never touches the skin)

Fairy liquid is also good for getting off stubborn stable stains, use them all the time on my bay mare who has white feet and love to lie down in mud!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Bleech would damage the hairs no end.

You could try using those effervescent tablets used to clean dentures, also meant to be good for net curtains.

With baby oil I find dust collets easily if used on the body/face. It can also increase sunburn if on muzzels etc.

As with everything, patch test first and wait 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

One more thing!

Humans shampoos are designed to be used with hot water, so you wont get as a result with just cold.

Advertisement