Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aristotle's theory on Substance?

Options
  • 19-03-2010 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Have an essay to do in metaphysics, I have began my reading on the topic, but from my experience you can learn more discussing a topic that you have read up on rather than just solely doing reading. So anyone up for a discussion on this topic feel free to join in. The question that I am aiming to answer is :

Discuss Aristotle’s notion of substance:
    1.its centrality to his world view,
    2.its constituent causes and
    3.its difference from later, especially modern views of substance.

Ill start the ball rolling by asking what peoples views are on the notion of substance to Aristotle and about its centrality to this world view, Do you think that this is a reply to Plato's question of whats really real, this being Plato's theory of the forms and of how material things were not being considered to be really real?
    Or his idea that "Substance , in the truest and primary and most definite sense of the word is that which is neither predicable of a subject nor present in a subject, for instance the individual man or horse" (p1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DitterbugLeen

Ha! I'm doing this question too! I can tell you NOTHING about substance though... I'll write back when I've got something:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I wrote a similar essay a few year ago. Here's some points I can think of.

The differences in Plato's and Aristotle's view of the human being can be traced back to their metaphysics .... different concepts of change. Plato ...reality is eternal and timeless, and that, on logical grounds, all change must be illusory. Plato, in looking at the human being looks for permanence but this can't be found in the body, as the body changes and corrupts... no permanence existing at all in this world but only in the eternal world of forms... the real and permanent human being is not the body, which is unimportant but the soul which like the forms is eternal.

Aristotle, who is influenced by the naturalist's philosophers, sees change in the human being and in the world as natural. The human goes through change as he or she goes through life. ... from potentiality to actuality. The child is potentially an adult and as it grows and flourishes it becomes an actual adult with further potential. .. life is about change and having the capacity to actualise our potential such as becoming good citizens .....

Also see De Anima , Aristotle's 'soul' ? Can the soul exist without a body? Wax analogy. Can the shape exist without the wax? Can form exist without matter? (substance = informed matter)? 'the affections of soul are inseparable from the material substratum' (Book I, 403b,)

Aristotle focuses on the particular (Plato on the Universal). Hence Aristotle ethics is about virtue, goodness exists in the heart of the individual man of virtue

Aristotle is an empiricist. All knowledge through senses (blank slate/tabula rasa). All men desire to know ..............etc (first page)

Plato, knowledge is innate, (Meno....slave...triangle... & Phaedo....transmutation of soul?)

Dont forget four causes..................

Modern view.........John Locke, no substance, only properties. (Substance =bundles of properties, take away properties, Whats left?) .........This led to Berkeleys idealism..........to be is to be percieved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dancingjebus3

Found this piece on Substance that you's might find interesting,

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/substance/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement