Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken TV

Options
  • 19-03-2010 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Hello peoples,

First time posting here so be gentle :p

I have a TV here, it's about 2-3 years old, but something seems to be going wrong with it. Slightly to the right of the screen, there's a big purple line, and it fades right the way to the edge. Very annoying and especially in bright screens.

I paid about 800 for it in late 2007 I think, and it seems unfair for an expensive TV to only last such a short while. Of course the guarantee was only for a year, but I heard of something about a six year guarantee for electronics or something.

Can anyone shed some light on what I'm entitled to?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

2 year warranty on all electronics within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Kinetic^ wrote: »

Thanks for the reply Kinetic, looks like I'll just have to buy a new one :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

It does sound trite, but I have to say, "fit for purpose", good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Bonavox wrote: »
    Hello peoples,

First time posting here so be gentle :p

I have a TV here, it's about 2-3 years old, but something seems to be going wrong with it. Slightly to the right of the screen, there's a big purple line, and it fades right the way to the edge. Very annoying and especially in bright screens.

I paid about 800 for it in late 2007 I think, and it seems unfair for an expensive TV to only last such a short while. Of course the guarantee was only for a year, but I heard of something about a six year guarantee for electronics or something.

Can anyone shed some light on what I'm entitled to?

Thanks
    Is it a CRT (The old style)? Or a thin screen (plasma/LCD)?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Isn't there something in the consumer protection code where goods have to be of a relative quality?

I.e. a TV with a two year warrenty breaks and is unrepairable does not meet the standards and can be returned to be fixed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I wouldn't give up so easily OP.A similar case was recently highlighted on The Afternoon show by Tina Leonard from the Consumer Association. In that case a woman who had a TV for 4 years found it developed a fault with the screen very like yours. She contacted the shop and when they weren't initially helpful she contacted consumer connect. In the end the store in question payed to have her TV fixed and offered her a replacement tv while she waited for her own to be returned!
    Info here: http://www.rte.ie/tv/theafternoonshow/2010/0126/consumertinatackles850.html

The criteria that legally determines how long goods should last under The Sale of Goods and Suply of Services Act is "reasonable expectation". If you bought a reputable brand TV at an expensive price then you are entitled to have reasonable expectation that it last longer than 3 years.If your TV lasts a shorter period than what could be defined as "reasonable expectation" then it is not fit for purpose and in contrevention of your statutory rights as a consumer.

Now for the part on which many a just claim perrishes upon: do you still have any proof of purchase? That is a receipt from the shop or if you bought with a credit or laser card a statement from that would be fine.You can contact your cc or laser provider and ask them to look back through your account and find the purchase sometimes.

If you have proof of purchase then write the shop a letter outlining your complaint and asserting your rights under the sale if goods act.Say you want a response within 2 weeks. If you get nowhere you can file a small claims court claim. That will only cost you 15 euro and I think you'd have Avery good chance of suceeding with it.If you didn't you'd only have lost 15 euro.

Contact Consumer Connect if you want more advice on the subject.There's some good into in this thread too:*http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055812478

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Kinetic^ wrote: »

Not accurate.

It's a minimum 2 year warranty, some countries have defined longer periods in their laws which implement of the EU Directive.

Ireland's implementation does not explicitly state any maximum period but the statute of limitations allows you bring a claim up to 6 years. There are no hard and fast rules. In any dispute the Small Claims Court can be asked to rule. The judge will decide the shop's liability (if any) based on a variety of factors including the expected life of the item.

OP, follow Chilly's advice. Be polite but firm with the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭mark2000ie

I bought a Philips 42" flat screen lcd tv for just under 800 Euro from Luzern Technology Solutions Ltd on Ebay. The tv was purchased in Feb 2008 and I have my receipt etc. The Tv just stopped working last week, no picture or no sound but the blue light comes on when turned on so there is power going into it. I sent them a email but no reply and suggestions on what I should do next?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Mark2000ie:

Did you buy your TV on an Ebay auction or as part of a "buy for now" purchase?
    I'm not sure but I think you may have more rights if it was a "buy now" from a registered business seller.

I would think that you would procede as *I have advised in my earlier post in this thread. Start by sending a registered letter to the business outlining your problem, asserting your rights politely and giving a set time in which you expect a reply. If you revieve no reply or no help you can then turn to the European Small Claims Court. The procedure for this is very simple.It's just a matter of you filling out a form and the whole procedure will only cost you €15. Make sure to keep a copy of any emails or letters you send as they will strengthen your case in the eyes of the court.

I think that you should contact the ECC (google ECC Dublin) to ask their advice just in case things are not straight forward in the case of purchases from eBay. You should ask them if they have any link to exact legislation you might quote in your letter and also ask who is responsible for shipping of the TV back to Spain.Ask for something you can quote on that too.I'd imagine that as long as you bought it as a Buy Now that all the usual rules of the game apply though.

• Advertisement

chilly wrote: »
    Mark2000ie:

Did you buy your TV on an Ebay auction or as part of a "buy for now" purchase?
    I'm not sure but I think you may have more rights if it was a "buy now" from a registered business seller.

I would think that you would procede as *I have advised in my earlier post in this thread. Start by sending a registered letter to the business outlining your problem, asserting your rights politely and giving a set time in which you expect a reply. If you revieve no reply or no help you can then turn to the European Small Claims Court. The procedure for this is very simple.It's just a matter of you filling out a form and the whole procedure will only cost you €15. Make sure to keep a copy of any emails or letters you send as they will strengthen your case in the eyes of the court.

I think that you should contact the ECC (google ECC Dublin) to ask their advice just in case things are not straight forward in the case of purchases from eBay. You should ask them if they have any link to exact legislation you might quote in your letter and also ask who is responsible for shipping of the TV back to Spain.Ask for something you can quote on that too.I'd imagine that as long as you bought it as a Buy Now that all the usual rules of the game apply though.

Thanks Chilly, Yes it was a "buy now" I will follow your advice and see what happens...........Thanks

Got a Reply.....................

Sent: 23 March 2010 09:06:48

HI Apologies as these units only come with a 3 month waranty. We do notrepair these units here on site.Apologies Again Best Regards, Customer Care

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

mark2000ie wrote: »

HI Apologies as these units only come with a 3 month warranty. We do not repair these units here on site. Apologies Again Best Regards, Customer Care

If they are a business seller then that statement isn't work the electricity it took to send it to you, they are governed by consumer law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

They are based in Blanchardstown!

Luzern Solutions Ltd
    Blanchardstown Technology Park
    Snugborough Road
    Blanchardstown
    Dublin 15
    Ireland
    Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Number 361832

Phone: (+353) (1) 811 90 80
    eMail: customer.care@luzerntech.com

Do your homework, read to the company in a calm firm tone the above arguments and you should get sorted, failing that contact the government consumers advice dept

HI Apologies as these units only come with a 3 month waranty. We do notrepair these units here on site.Apologies Again Best Regards, Customer Care

Cheeky!

Send them a registered letter now. It's great if they're in Ireland. It should mean a little bit less hassle :).

chilly wrote: »
    Cheeky!

Send them a registered letter now. It's great if they're in Ireland. It should mean a little bit less hassle :).

I have gone to the small claims court, I will see what they can do for me.

I have gone to the small claims court, I will see what they can do for me.

OOPS small claims do not deal with matters where paypal is used for payement...You learn something new every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

OOPS small claims do not deal with matters where paypal is used for payement...You learn something new every day!

I find that hard to believe, do you have a credit card or was your Paypal account topped up with a 3V card?

If it was a normal credit card, you have a statement from your CC company as proof of payment

Really?
    I'm shocked to hear that.

Anyone know why your method of payment should interfere with your statutory rights ?

mullingar wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe, do you have a credit card or was your Paypal account topped up with a 3V card?

If it was a normal credit card, you have a statement from your CC company as proof of payment

Yep was credit card on Paypal.

Please see comments below from the Small Claims Registrar,

"your claim as outlined is not covered under the small claims procedure as we do not accept claims for payments made on paypal. you may need to seek legal advice on this matter before taking the cliam through any other court. EUR15 fee paid for this claim has been refunded to you."

I Contacted Consumer affairs and told them the story and that I had paid by Paypal and then and they said I had a genuine claim and if I could not get satisfaction from the comapny to go to the small claims court!! I relied to them telling them what small claims said re paypal so I am now waiting for reply from consumer affairs!

• Advertisement

That is a real eye opener!I always thought paypal added an extra layer of protection when buying online. I had no idea you had to sacrifice something as important your small claims court protection!

You may be advised to get a solicitor to take your case then.That is a big hassle though.Maybe you'd find a solicitor that might help on a "no win,no fee" basis. Please let us know what youre advised by the consumer association.

I very much doubt the company that sold you the TV will be aware that you can't go to the small claims court with this. I think I was you that I would forward them the email from the consumer association saying that you have a case worth persuing here. The may buckle and fix your TV rather than find themselves in a legal mess with expenses they may bare the brunt of.

Also if you are going to seek any legal redress you are best to have as much corespondance with the company as possible so you can demonstrate that you've given them every chance to help you and that they've been unreasonable.

Let us know what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

^ sensible option.

Advertisement