Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading form a Powershot S3

• 19-03-2010 5:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hi Everybody,

I am a hobiest/amature photographer who currently owns a Powershot S3. I am thinking of upgrading to a Powershot SX20 due to the extra features as well as it supports 720p movie capturing. This is an easy choice as I am already familar with this range of cameras technology but want to be sure its the right thing before going ahead with the purchase. I would be willing to buy something else or go with a different manufacture than Canon if there is a better camera out there in the same price range. I have tried googling but cant find much in the way of comparsons with other cameras.
    Can anyone here with knowlege in the matter tell me if this is a good buy or can reccommend something better.

Thanks in advance,
    John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

clearz wrote: »
    I would be willing to buy something else or go with a different manufacture than Canon if there is a better camera out there in the same price range

You're just about reaching the price of a budget dslr (~€400), which would be a better camera in terms of image quality, high iso performance and lenses. But you then wouldn't have the 25x zoom or video mode. Don't see any better cameras with similar features, the panasonic FZ38 might be worth looking at to see how it compares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Backing up what Ghost Train said you're just at the price point of a DSLR. While the bridge cameras have 'super zoom' I've never found the image quality great.

For that money it's a far better investment to get a DSLR and a 70-300mm lens at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

If you want a bridge camera, the SX20 is regarded as one of the better ones. Also have a look at similarly priced models from Panasonic and Olympus.

I agree with the other comments. The price difference between high end bridge cameras and entry level DSLRs is quite small. Perhaps this isn't a fair comparison to make. The bridge camera is a complete system which will be capable of producing good quality images over a wide zoom range(subject to the limitations of the smaller sensor). The DSLR will need some expensive lenses screwed on the front to achieve the same level of flexibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I've been using a bridge camera for almost a year and want out, I need to get me a dslr. I only bought the bridge cam to get to grips with the basics of manual controls, but it's time to move on.

The zoom is handy now and then, mine has 12 x optical, 5.9mm - 70mm - but the image quality degrades slightly the more you zoom. plus mine has no IS or manual focus and the images are ... ok, but very soft and colours are washy - they always need some boosting in PP.

I'd say make the jump to an entry level dslr, it's not that much a step up in terms of ability required to use effectively. But the IQ improvement is worth it IMHO, and there's always the option to add the zoom later. Unless you really need lots of zoom, bridge cams are a bit of a waste IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

Upgrading from the S3 to the SX20 will get you the following:
    • Wider angle lens (28mm)
    • 20X zoom as opposed to 12X
    • HD movie mode
    • Flash hotshoe
    • ISO 1600
    • 6 extra megapixels.
    Is that worth €400 to you? If the answer is yes stay with the SX20. Otherwise you should seriously consider spending slightly more for an entry level SLR. Their image quality is significantly better than a superzoom. Examples:

• Canon 450D
    • Nikon D3000
    • Panasonic G1 or GF1
    • Olympus E450 or EP1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Thanks for all the replies. The SX20 may be €400 in a high street store here in Ireland but it would accually cost me about €270 on the net if tou know where to look. I payed about the same for the S3 when it was going for over €400 in the stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Share the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Sweet.. although I'd say to heck with the 720P video.. who needs stinking video? :) Maybe looking for a good second-hand DSLR kit instead?
    clearz wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. The SX20 may be €400 in a high street store here in Ireland but it would accually cost me about €270 on the net if tou know where to look. I payed about the same for the S3 when it was going for over €400 in the stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Share the info!

Ebay + great euro to sterling/dollar = your friend.

Also having a brother in New York and an Aunt in London is handy in case they don't deliver here

Advertisement