Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Amsterdam was wired for open access fibre

• 19-03-2010 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

The city of Amsterdam has been building an open FTTP (fibre to the premises) network for the past four years or so. The infrastructure they deployed gives each household their own fibre - which allows "unbundling" from the outset - ie all service providers can access the fibre - it is up to the customer to decide which service provider to use.

This gets rid of two problems associated with cable TV type networks - (1) you end up with a single monopoly cable provider in each city or region - high price and zero choice and arrogance towards the customer - as one sees with UPC and (2) the internet carrying capacity of shared coaxial is limited - when cable internet usage increases and more people use their connections for multi-media, cable has big problems. Just like wireless.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/03/how-amsterdam-was-wired-for-open-access-fiber.ars/

Citynet - http://www.citynet.nl/

(if you don't speak Dutch):
    http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.citynet.nl%2F&sl=nl&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting reading probe.

I found an interesting blog about a guy in the Netherlands who is a FTTH fan, with details of how the FTTH install was done to his home:

http://internetthought.blogspot.com/search/label/ftth

But it is interesting to note that despite getting FTTH, he has now switched to UPC 60mb cable service as it offers higher speeds and cheaper pricing!

He also makes an interesting comment about UPC, which sounds very true here in Ireland and explains a lot:
    Invest in Fiber or UPC / Liberty Global will move into your country.

Last week I wrote that the end of DSL is nigh. In reaction a compadre of mine told me, that he had followed UPC (Liberty Global) for a while and he got the feeling that they were moving out of countries where there was a strong threat of FTTH (Slovenia and France). In his opinion they were moving into countries with a slow moving incumbent that had bet the house on VDSL2 (ie Germany hat tip to Dirk for the link). Very interesting idea, might be something to it.

We can certainly see that here in Ireland where Eircom can barely do ADSL2+, never mind VDSL2

Also it makes me cry to think of countries like Slovenia actually getting FTTH and the Czech Republic with 120mb UPC cable already, while our politicians prattle on about us having a knowledge based society and needing to build NGN's. Lads wake up, everyone else is already busily building theirs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Even if UPC were the nicest and most efficient company in the world the postion of strength they are being allowed to build up in the cities is simply very wrong.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dub45 wrote: »
    Even if UPC were the nicest and most efficient company in the world the postion of strength they are being allowed to build up in the cities is simply very wrong.

That is competition for you, UPC have spent a fortune upgrading their network and are offering high speeds and low prices and loads of people are signing up for it, go figure!

The only way to stop them * is for the other providers like Eircom to stop fannying about and upgrade their network and compete.

I've long said you reap what you sow and that what Eircom was doing would hurt them in the long term. We are now seeing the results of that.

* We certainly don't want to see any sort of regulatory interference on UPC to help Eircom out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

All above Board in what passes for a market here :(

UPC only have to stay a bit ahead of eircom which is nowhere near what UPC have to offer in Amsterdam in order to remain competitive there.

It is not that policy should be to keep UPC out or in check. It is that policy should realise that the very entry of and presence of UPC says that your telecommunications is CRAP overall. Then again, Chorus was always worse :D

We will eventually end up with a Global UPC index of crap countries only and with us underperforming the mean :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    UPC only have to stay a bit ahead of eircom which is nowhere near what UPC have to offer in Amsterdam in order to remain competitive there.

True, but I don't believe they are dragging their feet like that, I believe they will launch DOCSIS 3 and 120mb BB as soon as they can.

The thing to remember is that UPC don't consider Eircom to be their main competitor, Sky is. UPC need to make their triple play product as attractive as possible to stop the bleeding of valuable TV customers to Sky.

120mb DOCSIS 3 at affordable prices, plus the recent rollout of HD, will go a long way to doing that. And given that upgrading to DOCSIS 3 is relatively cheap to do, it is a good way to retain and gain customers. So really no reason not to launch it.

The damage they will do to Eircom is inconsequential, it isn't their main goal.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is not that policy should be to keep UPC out or in check. It is that policy should realise that the very entry of and presence of UPC says that your telecommunications is CRAP overall. Then again, Chorus was always worse :D

We will eventually end up with a Global UPC index of crap countries only and with us underperforming the mean :(

Agreed, but at least it is better then nothing.

Imagine what the market would look like if UPC hadn't entered the market, 3mb would probably still be the fastest speed you could get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote: »
    True, but I don't believe they are dragging their feet like that, I believe they will launch DOCSIS 3 and 120mb BB as soon as they can.

The thing to remember is that UPC don't consider Eircom to be their main competitor, Sky is. UPC need to make their triple play product as attractive as possible to stop the bleeding of valuable TV customers to Sky.

120mb DOCSIS 3 at affordable prices, plus the recent rollout of HD, will go a long way to doing that. And given that upgrading to DOCSIS 3 is relatively cheap to do, it is a good way to retain and gain customers. So really no reason not to launch it.

The damage they will do to Eircom is inconsequential, it isn't their main goal.

Agreed, but at least it is better then nothing.

Imagine what the market would look like if UPC hadn't entered the market, 3mb would probably still be the fastest speed you could get.

You really appear to be mindbogglingly blind in your devotion to UPC. You were even incapable of reading a thread properly which absolutely castigated them for incompetence and lousy customer service.

Looking beyond the 'fast' speeds for the moment they are an appalling company which since UPC took over has offered lousy customer service consistently. They have complete contempt for their customers. They dont abide by their own Terms and Conditions (look at their behaviour in relation to the recent price increases) they dont abide by the rules of the direct debit system. They operate a very iffy phone service for probs which supposedly are not theirs.

They are not investing to do us a favour they are investing to make money which of course they are entitled to do. They are extremely profitable in Ireland.

Even allowing for all that it is wrong to allow one company to gain the power they are gaining in the cities. We are replacing one Eircom with another one.

And it is wrong to compare Eircom with them. Eircom have been laden with debt by various owners and simply cannot compete because of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I would have upgraded to UPC ages ago if they had a customer service worth talking about. Also they wanted to charge me 6 euro extra for not taking their TV package.

Then they wanted to run two wires into my house one for BB and one for TV and the TV line came straight from another persons house across a busy road so I told them to take a hike. They were trying to bamboozle me talking about ring networks and when i told them I worked in IT they lost heart and buggered off.

Finally and most dammingly they pretended to be from Dublin City Council to get a my wife to sign a waiver that they could run a wire along the top of my front wall.

They may be offering the fastest speeds but their methods of operation are very half assed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Historically yes. Not too many years ago UPC had 400k+ customers of whom 40k took broadband.

Now it has 350k customer of whom 150k take broadband. The latter is growing at a fair clip .....at around 60k a near net adds and their telephone service is adding around 30k new customers a year and seeing as 'line rental' is only €6 a month that is rather unsurprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Even allowing for all that it is wrong to allow one company to gain the power they are gaining in the cities. We are replacing one Eircom with another one.

And it is wrong to compare Eircom with them. Eircom have been laden with debt by various owners and simply cannot compete because of that.

Well thought out rant there.

We'll try this again. UPC are investing heavily, they are gaining customers because of this. As BK said, you'll reap what you sow.

Eircom have for years banked on there never being any competition. One could argue, it was these stupid moves, which I'm pretty certain weren't in the customers interests either. That have led to this.

I'm not fan of UPC or their appalling CS but this board can be so tedious. "After years of underinvestment a company is changing things for the better rabble rabble rabble."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I have had UPC (NTL) tv service for about 5 years and always found their customer seervice excellent. Any minor problem I had with a digibox or a bill was remedied immediately over the phone. I got their broadband in recently. There were a few problems with the initial connection. This was resolved with excellent response times and communications from their customer services and technical services. Previously, I was with UTV and you could be waiting days (if not weeks) for a response. UPC are the only large company who have a visible strategy to improve broadband speeds and should be recognised for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

DOCSIS3 does not address the fundamental engineering issue in relation to broadband - you still have x subscribers in a street or district sharing a "chunk" of broadband capacity. As BB use becomes more media intensive, and more people in the street wake up to same, it will grind to a halt. In the same way as if everyone on the street takes out their car(s) at 8 in the morning. There is a traffic jam. Fibre on the other hand gives each household their own exclusive road to the motorway system.
    All cable companies are the same - they see themselves as being in the cable TV business - not to provide excellent broadband. They make lots of money from people paying extra to subscribe to channel packages, movies, sports, etc. They make nothing if you subscribe to The Economist or other web based media, and read the publication over the internet. They make nothing if you watch Vimeo or Youtube or Dailymotion. They don't want you to use the internet - a token internet service is being provided by cable ISPs to shut you up!
    ....plus the recent rollout of HD, will go a long way to doing that.
    What about 3D? Several video camera manufacturers have 3D video cameras coming out shortly in the $600 to $1,200 range that can produce better quality videos that Avatar the movie. 3D TV takes 2x the bandwidth of HD. Offering a few 3D channels will stretch cable to the limit on top of all the other stuff people expect. Several satellite TV companies have 3D services starting in the coming months with the arrival of 3D TVs in the shops.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

probe wrote: »
    What about 3D? Several video camera manufacturers have 3D video cameras coming out shortly in the $600 to $1,200 range that can produce better quality videos that Avatar the movie. 3D TV takes 2x the bandwidth of HD. Offering a few 3D channels will stretch cable to the limit on top of all the other stuff people expect. Several satellite TV companies have 3D services starting in the coming months with the arrival of 3D TVs in the shops.

What about it?, some consider it a big scam in the industry
    http://gizmodo.com/5493832/the-movie-studios-big-3d-scam

imho its still a gimmick to just sell new TV's/devices as they've pretty much milked what they can from the likes of HD.

They need a new cash cow even if its not actually any good they can still make people think they "need" it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

3D will take years to become the norm, if it ever does! We still have not switched off analogue in this country (and others). The uptake of HD is minimal due to the cost and lack of programing and the cost/programming issue will also hold back 3D. Just TV manufacturers hoping to make more money!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

DOCSIS3 does not address the fundamental engineering issue in relation to broadband - you still have x subscribers in a street or district sharing a "chunk" of broadband capacity. As BB use becomes more media intensive, and more people in the street wake up to same, it will grind to a halt. In the same way as if everyone on the street takes out their car(s) at 8 in the morning. There is a traffic jam. Fibre on the other hand gives each household their own exclusive road to the motorway system.
    Nor does Fibre because it will go bundled out at one point or another in the ISP network as well or are you seriously thinking that it will be different this time around?

DOCSIS3 does not address the fundamental engineering issue in relation to broadband - you still have x subscribers in a street or district sharing a "chunk" of broadband capacity. As BB use becomes more media intensive, and more people in the street wake up to same, it will grind to a halt. In the same way as if everyone on the street takes out their car(s) at 8 in the morning. There is a traffic jam.

Probe, there is no need to talk to me like a five year old, I understand the technical details of contention better then most people. And what UPC offer, despite contention, is still vastly better then any other broadband product available in Ireland. Don't forget Eircom's new 24mb ADSL2+ product has a contention of 48:1 !

Also if you read the blog I linked to, you will see that even in the Netherlands, UPC can hold it's own, with people with FTTH actually switching to UPC as it currently offers higher speeds and lower prices versus FTTH.

However I do agree in the long term, fibre should offer higher speeds and greater flexibility.
    Fibre on the other hand gives each household their own exclusive road to the motorway system.

Well, actually it depends, if it is PON, like is installed in most FTTH setups (but in fairness not in the Amsterdam example), then it is also shared with up to 32 other users.

And secondly I will be quiet happy to take FTTH just as soon as someone starts doing it here in Ireland. That is the point, there isn't the slightest indication that Eircom or anyone else will do FTTH. In the meantime, UPC is actually available right now, offering relatively good speeds for low prices and will hopefully soon roll out DOCSIS 3.
    All cable companies are the same - they see themselves as being in the cable TV business - not to provide excellent broadband. They make lots of money from people paying extra to subscribe to channel packages, movies, sports, etc. They make nothing if you subscribe to The Economist or other web based media, and read the publication over the internet. They make nothing if you watch Vimeo or Youtube or Dailymotion. They don't want you to use the internet - a token internet service is being provided by cable ISPs to shut you up!

Yes and so what?

This is actually an advantage for cable companies over telcos. UPC had to upgrade their network in order to offer better TV services (more channels, HD, etc.) to remain competitive with Sky. The TV customers pretty much already paid for the network, broadband is a happy bonus of the network upgrades for TV. But that means UPC can charge far less for broadband as their costs are lower, while telcos main product is broadband, so they have to make enough from broadband to upgrade the network.

Either way it is a win for the customers.

3D is a gimmick, see the excellent gizmodo article already posted for why.

It will take many years for 3D to take off and when it does, it won't be that difficult to support. By then UPC will likely have switched off the analogue channels, which should free up massive amounts of bandwidth for faster BB, HD and 3D. Also UPC could switch to a clever multicast IPTV system which would likely save a lot of bandwidth (only transmit the actual channels being watched on a particular node).

3D won't stretch things too much. The trickier bit will be if everyone moves over to VoD for all their TV viewing, but even that can be handled.

You really appear to be mindbogglingly blind in your devotion to UPC. You were even incapable of reading a thread properly which absolutely castigated them for incompetence and lousy customer service.

dub45, that is completely unfair, I'm well aware of UPC's weaknesses and I'm certainly not a blind fanboy.

The reason why I like them is because I've long said, since IrelandOffLine was first formed, that we needed a strong cable TV operator to spur competition with Eircom and that is exactly what we are getting now and I'm very happy about that.

It is now Eircoms move.
    They are not investing to do us a favour they are investing to make money which of course they are entitled to do. They are extremely profitable in Ireland.

So?

Lets see, a company investing to give people want they want and then make money off it, what a novel idea!

I suppose it is a pretty foreign idea to Irish people who are use to just being ripped off by companies like Eircom (highest line rental in the world anyone).

Perhaps, but it is up to Eircom and the other ISP's to respond to it, Eircom doesn't have a god given right to their monopoly.

What would you suggest we do to stop UPC taking over the cities?

WTF, now I've heard it all. Eircom have no one but themselves to blame for this (and perhpas the government for leaving it happen). When Eircom went public, it was debt free, it was it's owners who piled on the debt.

Of course we are going to compare them with Eircom, everyone who is making the decision on what bb and phone package to get is going to make this comparison.

What do you suggest, we don't leave UPC roll out fast new speeds and low prices, because poor little old Eircom can't afford to compete :confused:

I suppose it is a pretty foreign idea to Irish people who are use to just being ripped off by cpWhat do you suggest, we don't leave UPC roll out fast new speeds and low prices, because poor little old Eircom can't afford to compete :confused:

I remember a time when Eircom could pretty much cap us at 0.5Mb because poor little NTL couldn't afford to compete. People here were complaining about that. Now UPC have blown Eircom out of the water, people here are complaining about that. :confused: :rolleyes:

Very interesting article here comparing UPC to KPN FTTH in the Netherlands:

http://internetthought.blogspot.com/2009/04/upc-fiber-power-triumphant-over-kpn.html

The conclusion is that UPC offers much better value for money and faster speeds.

Now I'm not saying this to disparage fibre or heap praise on UPC.

Of course fibre is a better technology with more potential, but I wonder about the ability of the old style monopoly telcos to really make the most of it and really deliver great products on it.

I suppose my suspicion comes from the fact that unlike most people on this forum I've actually experienced Fibre To The Basement and IPTV over the last three years from Smart Telecom and I have to say it sucks.

The maximum speed I can get is 5mb and I'm paying more today then I was for my 6mb UPC product three years ago, which would be 30mb today.

So that explains why I'm suspicious of FTTH, UPC actually delivers today, while FTTH is something that we might get some time off in the future and which may or may not be as good.

Unless someone like Verizon decides to come along and invest massively in FTTH (I can imagine everyone hating that too), I don't see it happening for quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Fibre on the other hand gives each household their own exclusive road to the motorway system.

Your analogy is wrong. FTTH gives everyone a private driveway. Unless all the content you want is hosted locally by the ISP once you reach the core network you have to queue for the on ramp to the motorway.

• Advertisement

zeris wrote: »
    Your analogy is wrong. FTTH gives everyone a private driveway.

This is true, DSL also works this way. Cable doesn't, the contention is on the copper. The contention on fibre would be far less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

paulm17781 wrote: »
    This is true, DSL also works this way. Cable doesn't, the contention is on the copper. The contention on fibre would be far less.
    Enough transport streams combined with good implementation of channel bonding can minimise the effects of contention on the copper.
    probe wrote:
    DOCSIS3 does not address the fundamental engineering issue in relation to broadband - you still have x subscribers in a street or district sharing a "chunk" of broadband capacity.
    The internet by it's very nature is contended. Fibre to the Home won't change that.
    dub45 wrote:
    Oh come on, people have whinged and moaned about Eircom and their monopoly for years. Now that someone has come in, forced prices way down and forced speeds up, and we have people whinging because they are quickly becoming a main player in the market?! :rolleyes:

UPC will not have the monopoly Eircom has had for so long. They don't have the network and it's not feasible to extend the network beyond cities and towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Did anyone notice that UPC tried to stop this project in 2006 but lost the lawsuit? The accused citynet of government subsidy, but lost the case...
    You can find it half way on the page on the citynet.nl link. Check the translation by Google if you don't know Dutch.

And that is exactly the feeling that I share with some people here: UPC looks cool at the moment but I think they can be a bigger brute than Eircom soon.

I hope that broadband is not a 'winner takes all' market because then we are in for some rough rides in the future.
    Also, I can't just see UPC rolling out cable everywhere, leaving Ireland with a very skewed broandband service. ie some city folks are lucky others won't. But maybe that is due to geography I have to admit.

Anyway, the future will tell. I am not holding my breath

Wcool wrote: »
    Did anyone notice that UPC tried to stop this project in 2006 but lost the lawsuit? The accused citynet of government subsidy, but lost the case...
    You can find it half way on the page on the citynet.nl link.

All companies do what they can to stop competition, it is the nature of it, sadly.
    Wcool wrote: »
    And that is exactly the feeling that I share with some people here: UPC looks cool at the moment but I think they can be a bigger brute than Eircom soon.

They may well, however they'll never have the monopoly Eircom had. Hopefully market forces will prevent this happening.

Probe, there is no need to talk to me like a five year old, I understand the technical details of contention better then most people. And what UPC offer, despite contention, is still vastly better then any other broadband product available in Ireland. Don't forget Eircom's new 24mb ADSL2+ product has a contention of 48:1 !

Also if you read the blog I linked to, you will see that even in the Netherlands, UPC can hold it's own, with people with FTTH actually switching to UPC as it currently offers higher speeds and lower prices versus FTTH.

However I do agree in the long term, fibre should offer higher speeds and greater flexibility.
    In the long term we are all dead… Time is of the essence when investing in new technology. Do it too soon and you get less performance for more €€€. Do it too late, and you get left out of the loop in terms of developing business opportunities from new technologies.

The mistake the Dutch made is to have multiple competing fibre platforms. KPN has 100 Mbits/sec fibre for €90 per month. They use their own fibre. NL also has urban fibre initiatives that KPN doesn’t participate in (citynet etc). And you have UPC stretched to the limit coax offering “up to 120 Mbits/sec” for €87.30 per month. It is like having three competing Merrion Roads in D4 (one decked on top of the other) – each charging a toll to get you to the same place. It would do nothing except mess up the environment. In France you can get 100 Mbits/sec for about EUR 20 a month – because there is so much competition. Ireland doesn’t have the population to support the number of competing operators and networks that France has. But it can afford a single state of the art, self-financing infrastructure platform that is open to all competitors from Eircom and UPS down to local community based operations.

Eircom AFAIR has indicated a willingness to participate in a shared fibre infrastructure for FTTH – and I suspect their competitors have similar thoughts (if they don’t, they will die in an open fibre environment). Ireland has invested millions in urban fibre rings – much of the capacity is lying idle because there is no plan to bring it (the fibre link) over the last km to the home. It is like putting in a motorway network (thousands of lanes wide!) with ring roads everywhere, but no junctions to get on and off and connect with local and regional roads.

While the citynet in Amsterdam have the right plumbing in place (the fibre structure) – they don’t have the marketing clout of multiple service providers (like KPN and UPC etc) to turn open fibre into a dominant platform. It eircom decided to build its own FTTH network – there would be no point in local authorities in Ireland or anyone else setting up open fibre initiatives to compete.

FTTH routers have got a lot faster and cheaper – making Gigabit internet to the home a reality in 2010. Eg the Cisco CRS-3* router can handle 322 Tbits/sec and costs from €66,000, depending on spec. That is enough bandwidth for over 300,000 households each running flat out with a 1 Gibts/sec connection into each home. That kit didn’t exist two years ago. Storage costs are also dropping like a stone – be they conventional hard disk or SSDs. Gigabit FTTH shelf-life is good for the life of the routers and other hardware involved. The fibre will probably last for 50 years or more.

A plan for fibre needs to be put in place – in the same way as cities, towns and the countryside all require long term plans. A single fibre to the home platform used by all operators would be self financing – all it requires is direction and a plan to get it moving.

Cable can’t compete with Gigabit FTTH in terms of providing an open competitive platform. UPC is a media 1.0 company. Living in the 1990s, an era where people turned up at time x to view programme Y or Z on their cathode ray TV set. Expensively made programming by monopoly TV and film production companies. Modelled on the US cable TV monopoly focused on delivering trash TV. To hell with the customer. Arrogant. Slow moving. Bureaucratic. Sell advertising (or get a cut of the ad-revenues from content providers). Rubbish set-top boxes, with tiny hard drives (if any). Collect monthly fees. And spew forth propaganda for the owner of the cable system and content providers. Keep the customer fat, dumb and stupid.

Hardly the optimum situation in a country that is trying to promote business innovation and sell its educated workforce to the world!

Television 2.0 is far more diverse, specialised, and is available on demand. MacBreak Weekly is a TV programme for people who are into Apple. You can watch it live while it is being made, or catch up with the latest issue here, anywhere in the world:

http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp4/twit.cachefly.net/video/mbw/mbw0185/mbw0185_h264b_864x480_500.mp4

If you use Windows – your Windows Weekly TV programme is here:

http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp4/twit.cachefly.net/video/ww/ww0148/ww0148_h264b_864x480_500.mp4

As more people consume content on demand at higher definitions - 1080p, 2k and 4k..... fibre is the only medium that can support the demand.

We have millions of books in every language on the planet written by as many authors. Why should cable TV operators be allowed to block customers’ choice to a shop with at most 100 books for sale? Most of which are tabloid crap that people don’t want anyway – they are just thrown into packages to create advertising revenues for British media companies.

While I used to subscribe to the view that 3D video would have a short-lived existence, I now think it could be a “must have” for sports TV coverage, among other content types. 3D TV will take off faster than HD did because it delivers a close to an “at the event” experience in the living room. As more video material becomes user generated, and $600 3D video cameras become the norm, it is only a matter of months before dailymotion.com, vimeo.com and youtube.com (all of whom are generating significant cash from pre-roll advertising etc. start offering 3D video) – viewable on a PC or TV.

*http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5763/index.html

Probe I actually agree with most of what you said above about sharing fibre, I've always said the same.

The model I'd like to see develop is a single company who owns all the fibre, 51% owned by the government, 49% owned by all the other ISP's with their share of the company depending on how much of their fibre network they turn over to the control of this company.

All government agencies turn over control of their fiber to this company, ESB, Borad Gais, Dublin City Council networks, etc. I assume Eircom, Vodafone, o2, 3, BT, Digiweb and Magnet would enthusiastically join.

UPC would probably grudgingly join.

BTW there is no reason why a cable company can't become a FTTH company, after all Verizon in the US use FTTH for their FiOS service, but use standard DOCSIS over the Fibre connection and then standard caox cables and standard cable TV boxes in peoples homes. No reason why any cable company can't copy that approach.

I completely agree with all that, it really makes no sense for each of these companies and government agencies to build their own networks, complete waste of money.

However then you went off on another irrelevant rant about UPC!

I don't get why you are so vehemently opposed to UPC. Were you fired by them or do you work for one of their competitors? I can't think of any other reason why anyone would feel the way you do.

Why do you never rant about Eircom who are a hundred times worse then UPC?

At least UPC is one of the only companies in Ireland actually investing in their network and actually delivering fast new products and at pretty decent prices. Bringing exciting new competition to a stalled market and forcing Eircom to compete and probably eventually invest in their network.

Honestly I can't see any reason why anyone would feel like you do about them. In the end they are just another company, offering products to the market. The more companies doing so the better.

While the above talk of FTTH is a lovely dream and I will do whatever I can to see it happen. It is still a pipe dream with little evidence on the ground that it will ever happen. Until I've a FTTH connection running into my home *, I'll be very glad UPC are here to offer an alternative to crappy DSL.

BTW there isn't quite 100mb FTTH for €20 in France, it is 50mb for €35 (scrap that, just checked, it seems Free are offering 100mb for €30 now, nice) in Paris, ironically the best value for money connection in France AFAIK is on cable DOCSIS 3 from Numericable, 100mb for €30 and it is available to far more people then FTTH

BBTW Cable has plenty of bandwidth to cope with future IPTV video demands. UPC has been upgrading it's network to minimum 800 MHz (1000MHz now). 800 MHz gives you a combined bandwidth of 5gb/s. That is enough bandwidth for 166 30mb/s 1080p full bluray quality video streams! :cool:

Yes those 166 streams would need to be shared on the local node, but most nodes would be well under 166 users, so no problem there.

Of course you need to move to a completely IPTV system to do that, but that is certainly possible.

* Ironically I almost do, I've FTTB and it is crap, I can only get 5mb BB and the IPTV service on it use to be crap and has since been replaced by Sky HD :rolleyes:

I don't get why you are so vehemently opposed to UPC. Were you fired by them or do you work for one of their competitors? I can't think of any other reason why anyone would feel the way you do.

I have no connection with UPC or any related company (or competitor), never had. I see a UPC monopoly train coming rapidly down the tracks unless the entire telecommunications/ISP industry has access to FTTP. I see evidence of arrogance and poor customer service from UPC all over the place. I see numerous complaints about their service here and elsewhere.
    BBTW Cable has plenty of bandwidth to cope with future IPTV video demands. UPC has been upgrading it's network to minimum 800 MHz (1000MHz now). 800 MHz gives you a combined bandwidth of 5gb/s. That is enough bandwidth for 166 30mb/s 1080p full bluray quality video streams! :cool:

Yes those 166 streams would need to be shared on the local node, but most nodes would be well under 166 users, so no problem there.
    I also see the limitations of their cable network infrastructure - because each home has/will increasingly have multiple TVs, PCs and other consumers of bandwidth (eg iPads and their competitors). 5GB/sec might look interesting today in the context of 166 clients - but in a decade's time (the time it will take to for Ireland to start fiddling with GB FTTH with luck), it will be like FRIACO!

Less than a decade ago, probe was "ranting" for broadband, and most people around here and in other fora thought FRIACO was heaven - and they didn't appear to need broadband...

Why do you never rant about Eircom who are a hundred times worse then UPC?
    I've been ranting about eircom since I was seven years of age!

BTW there isn't quite 100mb FTTH for €20 in France, it is 50mb for €35 (scrap that, just checked, it seems Free are offering 100mb for €30 now, nice) in Paris, ironically the best value for money connection in France AFAIK is on cable DOCSIS 3 from Numericable, 100mb for €30 and it is available to far more people then FTTH
    €19,90 actually - http://offres.numericable.fr/internet-tres-haut-debit-wifi-box.php

Quote, in the interest of full disclosure: (I've put the key limitations of the 19,90 offer in bold)

OFFRES SOUMISES A CONDITIONS RESERVEES AUX NOUVEAUX CLIENTS PARTICULIERS. DISPONIBILITE SELON ZONES GEOGRAPHIQUES ET ELIGIBILITE TECHNIQUE. ENGAGEMENT DE 12 MOIS. TARIFS TTC AU 28/02/2010. FRAIS D OUVERTURE DE SERVICE 40€. FRAIS DE RESILIATION 40€.
    1. Téléphonie fixe France et International : appels illimités vers les postes fixes (hors numéros courts, spéciaux, vers serveurs vocaux et via satellites) en France métropolitaine et vers 53 destinations dont les 26 autres pays de l’Union Européenne. Durée maximum pour chaque appel : 2h00 en continu.
    2. Numericable est signataire de la Charte pour le développement de l'offre légale de musique en ligne conclue avec l'Industrie du disque le 28 juillet 2004. Les échanges illicites d'enregistrements et d'oeuvres protégés sur les réseaux génèrent un préjudice majeur pour les ayants droit et nuisent à la création artistique, c'est pourquoi Numericable vous recommande de ne pas procéder à des téléchargements illégaux.
    3. En cas de souscription de Service à distance, conformément aux articles L121-20 et suivants du code de la consommation, vous disposez d’un délai de sept jours francs à compter de l'acceptation de l'offre pour changer d'avis, en adressant à NUMERICABLE SERVICE CLIENT – TSA 61000 – 92894 NANTERRE CEDEX 9 un courrier recommandé avec avis de réception faisant état de l'exercice de votre droit de rétractation. Si ce délai de 7 jours expire un samedi, dimanche ou jour férié, il est prorogé jusqu'au premier jour ouvrable suivant. Toute installation et/ou d'utilisation du (des) service(s) avant l'expiration du délai de sept (7) jours vaut renonciation au droit de rétractation.
    4. Les appels sont facturés à l'abonné selon le tarif en vigueur de son offre téléphone.
    5. Pack Net + Tel fixe à 19.90€/mois. A partir du 07/12/09, pour une souscription au pack via numericable.fr : accès aux chaînes de la TNT gratuite selon zones géographiques et sous réserve d'éligibilité technique du domicile. Tester votre éligibilité. NECESSITE DE DISPOSER D'UN DECODEUR TNT.
    6. Chaines locales accessibles selon votre région et éligibilité TNT. Au total près de 26 chaines disponibles pour l’ensemble du territoire.
    7. Chaînes HD disponibles selon éligibilité TNT et matériel compatible.
    8. Visuel non contractuel
    9. Le pack Sécurité protège des virus et logiciels espions connus et répertoriés, compatible PC uniquement.
    10. Promotion valable pour toute souscription au service jusqu'au 11/04/2010, mois en cours inclus.
    11. Modem Routeur Wi-Fi : comprend 1 routeur, 4 ports Ethernet, un accès Wi-Fi 802.11g (débit théorique maximum atteignable en Wi-Fi de 54 Mbit/sec.) ; il permet une portée optimale de plusieurs dizaines de mètre sans obstacle. En fonction du nombre et des matériaux des murs entre le modem et l’ordinateur, la portée sera plus ou moins diminuée. L’adaptateur Wi-Fi pour unité distante n’est pas fourni.
    France Telecom charge 44,90€ for fibre - don't know why anybody uses them. The only benefit they offer is free calls to 74 countries, compared with 53 for Numericable.
    http://abonnez-vous.orange.fr/Fibre/Avoirlafibre/Default.aspx?rdt=o

Bk, are you sure Verizon use docsis? I know they broadcast the TV channels but is it docsis for broadband?

Probe, multiple TVs don't take more bandwidth, one of the advantages of cable is it that is broadcast unlike IP.

Bk, are you sure Verizon use docsis? I know they broadcast the TV channels but is it docsis for broadband?

You are absolutely right, long day.

They don't use DOCSIS, that would make no sense. They do however use standard digital QAM, cable set top boxes and head ends like most cable TV operators.
    Probe, multiple TVs don't take more bandwidth, one of the advantages of cable is it that is broadcast unlike IP.

Yes, which is one of the reasons Verizon use it for the FTTH service.

Probe, you do realise Numericable is cable and DOCSIS 3, sort of spoils your point, no?

5GB/s will me more then enough for a very long time to come. Remember the node can be subdivided over time reducing contention. That is the beauty of cable, it has a lot of potential and it can be gradually reconfigured to offer faster speeds, as consumer demands increase, without massive cost.

Telcos on the other hand are stuck, they either stay on the dead end DSL technology or spend a fortune upgrading to FTTH.

As for your fear of UPC becoming a monopoly, you have to be kidding, right?

UPC have only 20% of the wired market, Eircom have just shy of 80%. UPC have a very long way to go to become a monopoly and Eircom certainly isn't going to stand aside and let them do it, not over the long term.

And even if it was true, then the only alternative is we continue with the Eircom monopoly, only with much higher prices and much lower speeds! :rolleyes:

Unless you have another alternative to suggest?

Sorry Probe, you are just not making any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Just to add to whats been said here about the support at UPC.

Although its not perfect the engineers seem to know alot more than the guys over at Eircom! :-D The also seem to have alot more visibility of the network in their roles.

Advertisement